Your 1st Place Texas Rangers

I would typically agree with you about pitcher development, but in hearing Holland I think he's confident in whatever role he steps into and that he realizes how pitching in pressure situations now will aide his future development.

He knows hes going to be a starter...and he knows he and Feliz are 1 and 1A in the Rangers pitching future. In knowing that he has to know that he's going to create situations like the ones hes being brought into know, only Wash or Maddox won't go to the pen once Holland is established so he's going to have to learn to pitch through these situations if he wants to be successful.

Though...perhaps ignore all of that if he knew he was slated to start this weekend in Boston (especially if its Sunday and I would've gotten to seen him toss).

I agree that young Derek oozes confidence, and I don't mind the adverse conditions at times when he comes out of the pen. However, I would rather him getting into a normal rythm between starts. Harrison is still on the DL and I like having a lefty starter available. Also I worry Wash is pushing him a little too much. I know that is the new mindset of Nolan and Maddux, but after he gave up 3 runs in 5 innings against NY at the ballpark last week, I thought Wash should have let Derek sit down and build off that start. Texas was down 3-0 at the time and Burnett was dealing. Instead he got roughed up for 3 more runs - 2 earned. I know that is a little nit-picky, but a better manager might have told him to have a seat.

I would kill to take in Sundays game with you.

Rangers release Padilla... What does this mean for Holland? Perhaps a premature spot in the rotation?

Other than the other night he had been doing pretty well this season. Maybe there is something wore wrong with him injury wise?

They sort of released him. Rosenthal makes some sens of the move.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9642454...vers-on-Padilla

I am not a big fan of the move at the moment.

They sort of released him. Rosenthal makes some sens of the move.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9642454...vers-on-Padilla

I am not a big fan of the move at the moment.

Agree. Please get something for him. Does he have to clear waivers in order to be traded? If so, then OK, get him clear and get something for him. He always puts himself before the team. Always.

And greatness with the Barb bit that I just hear on my way home. CLassic.

Fun game to watch, I love watching Frankie Fransisco pitch.

I do wonder why with a better record than the Yankees, .5 games, why is it that Sportcenter gives us no respect at all in their coverage. It is the "rangers are trying to cool off the red hot Yankees" and no mention of the 4.5 game lead in the division or the fact that the Rangers have been on fire as well over the past several weeks...

I suppose our years of ineptitude might have something to do with it, but come on...

I am a Yankees fan as well but I loved watching ARod choke as always when it counts. Bases loaded and Arod does nothing, oh I hate that guy, why didn't Boston take Arod. I like to keep my MLB hatred narrowed down to one or two teams.

I love to see the Rangers kick the crap out of Boston, I hope they sweep. To me its like double the fun, double delicious for the Rangers coming on strong against the Red Sux. Better Dead than Red!!

Go Rangers!!!

Texas wins 2 of 3 in Boston. What a great game, CJ Wilson strikes out Big Papi with 98 mph heat with 2 outs in the 9th for the win... damn.

3-3 on the trip. Leave 4 1/2 up, come home the same. Not too bad. Now, 3 of 4 from TOR would really hit the spot. This is looking more and more like the real deal. They have been in 1st place for almost 30 days.

He gushes too much for my taste, but tonight's Newberg report contained the following big picture outlook:

2. A Newberg Report message board regular who goes by “Doug” posted this a few days ago:

The exec I talk to says to me that the Rangers have more room for error like [nobody]except the big teams in the NE (NYY, NYM, and Boston). Those teams have room for error because of $, the Rangers have it because of the deepest farm system this exec has ever seen in 20 years of professional ball. He said you’d always like a few more top end guys like Feliz and Holland, but that there are just so damn many good prospects, that he just can’t believe it. He told me that there is not a single farm system in both leagues that wouldn’t take a Ranger prospect in the 20-30 range and be able to replace someone in their own top 10 and be better off for it. He said some teams could replace almost their whole top 10 with the Rangers 11-20 and be better off.

He said, and this is a quote, “The juggernaut is already built, now it’s playing the hand they’ve got and not screwing it up. They are going to be THE team to deal with in the AL for a long time. We’re all freaked out by it.” I said, what about the Rays? He said, “They’re better than the Rays.”

BTW, it shouldn’t surprise you that this exec, who deals with JD, has high praise for him. He says JD made some early mistakes, but says he is so, so smart, knows how to do strategy, and is a great judge of talent – not baseball talent necessarily, but exec talent – the Adair’s, the Servais’, the Clark’s, etc. He said JD’s biggest challenge will be replacing the development talent he will be losing year after year (Adair was just the start) and not betting for an inside straight, i.e., not risking too much to go for it all in any particular year. He said if they continue to feed the golden goose, and don’t risk too much in any particular year that they will be there year after year for a long, long time.

I enjoyed that.

It's all about pitching. I know about Feliz, but I wonder how many other top notch pitching prospects are down on the Farm (and, no, I don't consider Davis a prospect due to past MLB history).

Good question - here's some reading:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2008/12/19/...rs-top-20-prosp

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=8602 (you can still see the list without a BP subscription)

Watch Main and Perez closely. I think they both started rough this year, but have been pitching stronger lately.

Good question - here's some reading:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2008/12/19/...rs-top-20-prosp

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=8602 (you can still see the list without a BP subscription)

Watch Main and Perez closely. I think they both started rough this year, but have been pitching stronger lately.

Looking at that list, it kinda dampens my enthusiasm for this year. I wish we had at least one more quality starter ready to go from the minors. But, then again, I guess every ML team does. Too bad Hurley doesn't appear to be working out. Had high hopes.

On the other hand, pitching looks pretty good next year forward.

Rangers are setting up a nice opportunity for a walk off in the 9th.

Edited by UNT90

Bad teams have productive players to be poached for low to moderate prospects. With Hamilton out and now Doug Mathis picking up spot starts if the Rangers want to hang in this thing they may need to consider some veteran help. I'm not on board with moving any top prospects (read Main, Beavan, Kiker, Feliz, Holland, Smoak, Borbon, Beltre, Lemmon) but guys like Arias, Moreland, Diamond, Hunter, Golson, Boggs and Ramirez and others have enough value to go get some guys like this:

Hitters, in order of value:

Hunter Pence, Hou. - Pence would take a top tier prospect, but he's still young and would be worth the investment

Ryan Spilborghs, Col. - Odd man out of a crowded outfield

Cody Ross, Fla. - Good defensivly and a solid bat

Luke Scott, Bal. - Baltimore looking to play their kids

Mark DeRosa, Clev. - Versitile former Ranger who owes all of his value to Rudy

Eric Hinske, Pit. - Corner outfielder and infielder with a productive platoon bat

Willie Bloomquist, KC - Solid utility player.

Pitchers:

Zack Duke / Paul Maholm, Pit. - Pittsburgh is always in fire-sale mode

Chris Young, SD - Make up for part of a disaster of a Jon Daniels deal

Doug Davis / Jon Garland, Ari.

Russ Ortiz, Hou. - none of these guys are an answer, but as stop gap pitchers go you could do a whole lot worse (Doug Mathis)

Aaron Cook, Col.