State Of The Student Body Address

UNTflyer

Wait, if we break ground this August, why would it take more than 1 year to build this thing? I am guessing that the groundbreaking will just be a ceremonial ground breaking and not a true "dig" day?

Ceremonial or not, that is a huge first step. Shows that the admin is putting "skin in the game," so to speak.

The stadium shouldnt take more than 14 months to build, from what I heard from others....

This stadium is too damn long overdue..... Nothing suprises me anymore. RV promised everyone 2010 and we have a great schdule for our home games in 2010 but it seems like 2011 is what they are shooting for now......

Sept or Oct 2010 is still within reach if we can the ball rolling but that never happens in the Athletic Dept. at NT

Wait, if we break ground this August, why would it take more than 1 year to build this thing? I am guessing that the groundbreaking will just be a ceremonial ground breaking and not a true "dig" day?

It was always said that it would take 18 months to build. August 2009 + 18 months = February 2011.

2010 is just not going to happen.

I don't see how it is even remotely possible to find something negative in this! The fact that people will and are trying is disturbing to me.

This is a huge thing and we all need to be excited that the administration is doing something visual, prominent and large to show the Mean Gren Nation that they are serious!

Quit being negative and get on board with this great news!

I don't see how it is even remotely possible to find something negative in this! The fact that people will and are trying is disturbing to me.

This is a huge thing and we all need to be excited that the administration is doing something visual, prominent and large to show the Mean Gren Nation that they are serious!

well said Hickhoryhouse! Even if we win, for many on this board, it will never be by enough.

No kidding. Why are people bitching if it is 2010 versus 2011. Atleast we will break ground and actually get the process started. We have waited this long and another year really won't hurt us one bit.

When and where? I could be wrong, but I don't think Rick ever "promised" a stadium by 2010.

dallas morning news 9-24-08

.....Mr. Villarreal said UNT needed to make two key moves: get the right coach, and have a quality venue to attract recruits and fans.

He believes he has found the right head coach in Mr. Dodge. The former University of Texas quarterback was an assistant coach at UNT in the 1990s and built a Texas high school dynasty at Southlake Carroll before taking over as UNT's head coach in December 2006.

UNT made several promises to lure Mr. Dodge. The head coach said he was told a new stadium would be ready by 2010.

Mr. Dodge has used the new stadium as part of his recruiting pitch to dozens of players who have signed with UNT....

.....Mr. Villarreal said UNT needed to make two key moves: get the right coach, and have a quality venue to attract recruits and fans.

He believes he has found the right head coach in Mr. Dodge. The former University of Texas quarterback was an assistant coach at UNT in the 1990s and built a Texas high school dynasty at Southlake Carroll before taking over as UNT's head coach in December 2006.

UNT made several promises to lure Mr. Dodge. The head coach said he was told a new stadium would be ready by 2010.

Mr. Dodge has used the new stadium as part of his recruiting pitch to dozens of players who have signed with UNT....

Well, this alleged promise has been debated even right here on GMG.com. Was Dodge posturing? Was he trying to help the referendum vote? Was he pressuring RV? Was he trying to reassure players he just recruited?

I don't know what happened between RV and Dodge behind closed doors, but my point was that I don't recall Rick publicly "promising" a stadium by the 2010 season. Either way, anyone familiar with the process knows that Rick actually has no power on approving the stadium. The timeline is all up to the Board of Regents and Dr. B.

Edited by UNTflyer

It will be interesting what is said about the stadium Saturday night at the football banquet. I think they ought to show the video, and even have the model set up. I have said they ought to show the stadium video at every basketball game. Make people so sick of hearing about it that they give money just so the presentations stop.

It will be interesting what is said about the stadium Saturday night at the football banquet. I think they ought to show the video, and even have the model set up. I have said they ought to show the stadium video at every basketball game. Make people so sick of hearing about it that they give money just so the presentations stop.

excellent idea the stadium issue can bring togethr mean green fans in these lean times. it is not being used to do such. maybe they are waiting to see if the fee passes the legislature but they are wasting valuable marketing time with fans. do we have any marketing department in athletics?

excellent idea the stadium issue can bring together mean green fans in these lean times. it is not being used to do such. maybe they are waiting to see if the fee passes the legislature but they are wasting valuable marketing time with fans. do we have any marketing department in athletics?

Well, there was the article in the North Texan that goes out to thousands of alums. I mean, apparently the athletic department/university/Barack Obama haven't done anything to tell the commoners about the project, but when the article goes out, it's "bad timing" due to the economy and they should have waited longer.

Well, there was the article in the North Texan that goes out to thousands of alums. I mean, apparently the athletic department/university/Barack Obama haven't done anything to tell the commoners about the project, but when the article goes out, it's "bad timing" due to the economy and they should have waited longer.

Yes we can!!

New anticipated groundbreaking date (according to Jeff Kline) is August of 2009. Opening is still expected to be Fall of 2011.

No secret, our Senate meetings are open to the public.

When and where? I could be wrong, but I don't think Rick ever "promised" a stadium by 2010.

Just to clarify "anticipated" and "expected" do not equal promised either..

This continues some "good news"...the stadium is a reality ... be it 2010 or 2011...it will be built. This is good news...spin it as bad news if you must, but I will not believing this is good news. I guess someone could give some folks a hundred dollar bill and that would complain that it was an "old bill" and they wanted a crisp new one. Good grief!

This continues some "good news"...the stadium is a reality ... be it 2010 or 2011...it will be built. This is good news...spin it as bad news if you must, but I will not believing this is good news. I guess someone could give some folks a hundred dollar bill and that would complain that it was an "old bill" and they wanted a crisp new one. Good grief!

I simply refer you to glory hole...er glory park, that wonderful, multi-use development that opens this May next to the new Cowboy Stadium. Oh, wait...

I do believe the stadium will happen, but don't believe any timeline until serious dirt is being moved.

Yeah good find