Just A Thought

StealthEagle84

I know its kind of cliche but I was thinking about some things I would like to see in the offense next year. What if we used Riley Dodge at QB for the wildcat offense. I just think with his speed and athletic ability, it would be a nice wrinkle in the offense. Most of all, it would help us run the ball more/better which in turn would help keep our defense on the sidelines. And lets be honest, the longer our offense is on the field, the better chance we have at winning.

I know its kind of cliche but I was thinking about some things I would like to see in the offense next year. What if we used Riley Dodge at QB for the wildcat offense. I just think with his speed and athletic ability, it would be a nice wrinkle in the offense. Most of all, it would help us run the ball more/better which in turn would help keep our defense on the sidelines. And lets be honest, the longer our offense is on the field, the better chance we have at winning.

Riley will be on the field everydown playing behind center, without a doubt. Wildcat set might be used with Dunbar.

Riley will be on the field everydown playing behind center, without a doubt. Wildcat set might be used with Dunbar.

I hope they have open competition for all spots on the team. I will say this, in my opinion, what I saw in practice last year was an accurate passer in Riley.

so, I believe that Riley can come in compete and win the starting job. The best players should be playing and competition should sort that out.

Gio is tough and a good runner but his decision making is questionable and is not as accurate as Riley.

Edited by Will to Win

I will say this, in my opinion, what I saw in spring practice last year was an accurate passer in Riley.

so, I believe that Riley can come in compete and win the starting job.

I thought last spring....Riley was still at Southlake Carroll.

I hope they have open competition for all spots on the team. I will say this, in my opinion, what I saw in practice last year was an accurate passer in Riley.

so, I believe that Riley can come in compete and win the starting job. The best players should be playing and competition should sort that out.

Gio is tough and a good runner but his decision making is questionable and is not as accurate as Riley.

Wow....never thought I'd see it on this board. A post that breaks down our QB depth with more than just hate-filled outrage over JUST the possibility that the coaches son might take the starting job.

Nevermind that the coaches son might actually end up being the best QB on the team....he shouldn't be eligible to take the position b/c it'd be obvious that Dodge just handed his son the job.

Seriously, though....why all the outrage over this? Gio is a good player and seems to be a good leader. Questions abound about Riley's durability, but it seems that most here simply think that benching Gio would cause an uproar in the locker-room and would split the team.

....and I was under the impression, all season, that we already had a split locker-room!!?? :blink:

Wow....never thought I'd see it on this board. A post that breaks down our QB depth with more than just hate-filled outrage over JUST the possibility that the coaches son might take the starting job.

Nevermind that the coaches son might actually end up being the best QB on the team....he shouldn't be eligible to take the position b/c it'd be obvious that Dodge just handed his son the job.

Seriously, though....why all the outrage over this? Gio is a good player and seems to be a good leader. Questions abound about Riley's durability, but it seems that most here simply think that benching Gio would cause an uproar in the locker-room and would split the team.

....and I was under the impression, all season, that we already had a split locker-room!!?? :blink:

I've been taking them to be claiming that the locker room was already split about this and demoting Vizza without a clear-cut outperformance by Riley would break what was already fractured, but it's hard to keep up with all the different fan fiction stories being woven right now.

I also just stay out of it because I never played D-I football.

Vizza over estimated Dodge's ability to win at the collegiate level. The whole UNT team knows Gio is better. I guarantee you they would rather have Gio in the trenches with them than any QB on the team, just ask.

Vizza should have gone to play for the Hall of Fame college head coach at Nevada who coaches QB's himself and who personally recruited Vizza out of Texas. The HC at Nevada knows just a thing or two about college football.

Dodge sucks, the team is divided, the players hate the coaches. There is no respect only excuses.

All you guys who want Riley, your gonna get him. Riley might be the only Qb in the spring unless Dodge gets some JUCO QBs.

Dodge is gonna get fired boys, its just a matter of time.

Vizza over estimated Dodge's ability to win at the collegiate level. The whole UNT team knows Gio is better. I guarantee you they would rather have Gio in the trenches with them than any QB on the team, just ask.

Vizza should have gone to play for the Hall of Fame college head coach at Nevada who coaches QB's himself and who personally recruited Vizza out of Texas. The HC at Nevada knows just a thing or two about college football.

Dodge sucks, the team is divided, the players hate the coaches. There is no respect only excuses.

All you guys who want Riley, your gonna get him. Riley might be the only Qb in the spring unless Dodge gets some JUCO QBs.

Dodge is gonna get fired boys, its just a matter of time.

I don't like people who cite what is or isn't going to happen in the future. Nobody knows what is going to happen. Things will happen but unless you have been in time machine why speculate on one side?

Dodge will either get this thing going in a winning direction or he won't but I'm not going preach that it's one or the other. I don't see the purpose.

All we can do is wait and see and hope the decision makers make the right decisions; Hire the right people, with the right attitude and aptitude!

Maybe it's people like you who start spreading poison in the locker room, work place or or whatever. If you're ready to jump ship (and I suspect you are) then go in peace and don't take anyone down with you.

Respectfully,

Rick R. (Will to Win)

Riley and Todd need to do this together. This is not unexpected. Its just a fact that Riley came to play as did Chris Simms with Mack Brown. Its a part of college football. Promises are made all the time. This is no different, it just happens to be father and son instead of coach and player BUT its all the same deal.

Life goes on.

I am more interested in Mosely, Dunbar, Hamilton and Montgomery. Now that will be interesting.

I wonder if Mosely had his surgery yet? It looks like Hamilton and Montgomery will split all backfield reps with Riley during the spring.

Not sure when Mosely and Dunbar are expected back?

Edited by Dodge2007

Dodge2007, your way off base. Riley has no business hitting the field next season. He is not even in our starting QB's league. Your reading the hype.

He has a weak ass arm, is a soft player and is a prima donna. He is a "cat" if you know what I mean.

If Riley plays next season, it will be by default or Vizza gets hurt or doesn't come back. Take that 2007 to the bank.

Mosely might be toast. We need the speed of Dunbar in the backfield and Cam to offset the speed game with some power. Hamilton will move to slot because he has good hands. Dunbar does not have great hands at all so he will stay in the backfield.

This probably will be Dodge's last season as coach. RV is considered to be a used car salesman and has no credibility outside Dr. B. Board of Regents will hire an AD and a HC before the stadium opens, imo.

Dodge2007, your way off base. Riley has no business hitting the field next season. He is not even in our starting QB's league. Your reading the hype.

He has a weak ass arm, is a soft player and is a prima donna. He is a "cat" if you know what I mean.

If Riley plays next season, it will be by default or Vizza gets hurt or doesn't come back. Take that 2007 to the bank.

Mosely might be toast. We need the speed of Dunbar in the backfield and Cam to offset the speed game with some power. Hamilton will move to slot because he has good hands. Dunbar does not have great hands at all so he will stay in the backfield.

This probably will be Dodge's last season as coach. RV is considered to be a used car salesman and has no credibility outside Dr. B. Board of Regents will hire an AD and a HC before the stadium opens, imo.

Wow. You really covered all the bases with this post. I disagree with all but one of your points.

CLICK THIS LINK:

<---------------- WATCH THIS!!!

Watch this film this kid doesnt look weak to me. He takes a hit from a 6'7" 328lbs Defensive Tackle to WIN a game that was if front of 50,000 people. 50,000 people that sounds like D1 crowd to me and he is only a junior in High School. :)

Your an idiot, before post crap like this go look up some credentials on Riley Dodge. Got news for you Riley's experience is about even with Gios or better. He played in some very high pressured games in HS that had more pressure than these little North Texas games that Gio has played in. The expectations Riley had in High School where higher than Gio's right now. Riley had to WIN EVERY GAME or he did not meet Southlake's expectations. I know gamers when I see them and Gio is not a gamer and thats clear bc he cannot move or run in this offense and he is an okay passer. Hell Meager had better games the season before with passing the football. But the point is Riley Dodge has been running this offense way longer than Gio has and as far as the team goes they need a leader that has been in every situation in this offense and can get points on the board. Not making stupid decisions when points are needed like Gio has done. Sorry but offense and defense go hand n hand the longer the offense is on the field the defense is off. Also when your offense keeps scoring on every drive it kills the will of your opponents. Riley Dodge can run this offense, also most of all if his WRs are all covered, his ass can take off and get 1st downs. '09 will be alot different cause we are going places.

Edited by greenblooded43

I got knocked over by a 350 lb raging monster in a McDonald's line. I'd like to claim my spot in the "tough as nails" ticket line.

Riley's a gamer, and has pulled away many tough high school Trinity wins through his career. Outside of Trinity tape, and the 5A title win over Westlake, I wish I could have seen a lot of those 59-0 thrashings they gave the rest of Texas. Just to watch how many times he had to gut it through while handing off to Newton and passing to wide open Southlake wideouts.

Man, that's pressure.

I petition for Riley's nickname to be "Rocky."

Unfortunately, it's not my call to decide the QB for next year's team. Otherwise, I would be arguing pointlessly just like some of you all. I guess we'll find out pretty darned soon who Todge decides on, and hope that the team is behind him all the way.

Edited by greenminer

Watch this film this kid doesnt look weak to me. He takes a hit from a 6'7" 328lbs Defensive Tackle to WIN a game that was if front of 50,000 people. 50,000 people that sounds like D1 crowd to me and he is only a junior in High School. :)

Really. I don't care either way. I still think Riley needs to eat a little more. In the video you posted, he scored the touchdown, but I didn't exactly see him pop up off the ground. The desire may be there, but the strength/bulk isn't yet.

Edited by oldguystudent

Really. I don't care either way. I still think Riley needs to eat a little more. In the video you posted, he scored the touchdown, but I didn't exactly see him pop up off the ground. The desire may be there, but the strength/bulk isn't yet.

Or the offensive line to protect him! (He can thank Daddy for that!)

Rumor has Hagar transferring to Texas, Tune will sit out next season and Breece Johnson is transfering as well. I also hear Dodge is gonna sign two or three QB's to get four total on the field for spring ball. Anyone know of a good JC who UNT has offered or is the HS kid coming this next semester to replace Tune in the spring?

Edited by UNT2012