Darrell Dickey To New Mexico

NT03

I've heard that DD will be either the Running or Quarter backs coach @ New Mexico. I don't know if it's been officially announced yet because coach Locksley wants to hold a press conference and announce all new staff members at the sametime so this may yet to be confirmed , but hey .... I got sources :ph34r: . Good luck to him.

Edited by NT03

What ever happened to the days of UNT coaches getting taken away by big schools? Freddie Kitchens to Mississippi State and then to the NFL. Eric Wolford to Arizona and now at Illinois. DeLoach to UCLA (now back at UNT). Any other that you can think of? Give Dickey credit, he could put together a coaching staff.

Hayden Fry to Iowa

What ever happened to the days of UNT coaches getting taken away by big schools? Freddie Kitchens to Mississippi State and then to the NFL. Eric Wolford to Arizona and now at Illinois. DeLoach to UCLA (now back at UNT). Any other that you can think of? Give Dickey credit, he could put together a coaching staff.

Matt Simon got lured to Pittsburgh and I think he is now with the Chargers

Matt Simon got lured to Pittsburgh and I think he is now with the Chargers

Simon did not get "lured" to Pitt. He was canned at NT, then went to the Broncos-Ravens-Chargers,(got a couple of Super Bowl Rings) but he is no longer with the Chargers, let go last off season. Not sure where he landed

Some others:

Steve Kragthorpe-Louisville-Via A&M, Boston College, Bills, Tulsa all after Leaving NT

Jeff Ireland-GM for the Dolphins -Kicking coach in 93

Fred Bliel-Defensive Coordinator Texas State

There are some more, plus the ones listed above. It seems leaving North Texas is a good for your coaching career!

The irony of Dickey being lured as a QB coach without even thinking of enticing Dodge.

Kinda funny.

I would think being hired as the QB coach at NM is a step down from being the HC at NT, kind of like moving from the OC at one D1 school to the QB coach at another. That's kinda funny to me.

I wish DD well.

After being fired at North Texas, Rod Rust was head coach for one of the NFL teams, but I can't remember which one. I don't think he lasted long, however.

He was the DC of the NE Patriots and took over as the head coach when the head coach was fired. If I'm not mistaken, he coached them in a super bowl.

Update: It was the 1986 Super Bowl........after Ron Meyer was fired.

Edited by SilverEagle

What am I missing? Looks like he did decent at UNT, really well in the CFL, and only had the one season as head coach in the NFL.

He seems to be a guy who was given a lot of grief as a head coach when his teams played badly, as his North Texas teams did in 1970-1972, at 3-8 twice, and 1-10 his last season, and as his NFL Patriots did in 1990, going 1-15. I think it is interesting that he coached Mean Joe Greene in 1967 and 1968, with North Texas having good seasons at 7-1-1 and 8-2, falling off a little after Greene left, going 7-3 in 1969. Also, he did well enough as DC at New England from 1982 to 1987 that New England went to the Super Bowl in 1985, and Andre Tippett was all-pro during those years. Maybe he did a few things well enough, but his successes and failures seem to track along with the years he had his best players, and when they left. I think he'd probably have a certain pride in having coached Mean Joe Greene for 2 out of the 3 years he played at North Texas.

Edited by eulessismore

He seems to be a guy who was given a lot of grief as a head coach when his teams played badly, as his North Texas teams did in 1970-1972, at 3-8 twice, and 1-10 his last season, and as his NFL Patriots did in 1990, going 1-15. I think it is interesting that he coached Mean Joe Greene in 1967 and 1968, with North Texas having good seasons at 7-1-1 and 8-2, falling off a little after Greene left, going 7-3 in 1969. Also, he did well enough as DC at New England from 1982 to 1987 that New England went to the Super Bowl in 1985, and Andre Tippett was all-pro during those years. Maybe he did a few things well enough, but his successes and failures seem to track along with the years he had his best players, and when they left. I think he'd probably have a certain pride in having coached Mean Joe Greene for 2 out of the 3 years he played at North Texas.

Oldguystudent- My bad. I thought you missed something, but after going back and reading it again, I guess you didn't.

Eulessismore,

According to people "in the know", Rod Rust did not recruit the core players (Joe Greene etc) that made up his 67 and 68 teams....Odus Mitchell (and his staff) did. According to the same people, Rod Rust was a very good X's and O's coach, but a terrible recruiter and probably not very personable. That might account for his moving around a lot in the pro ranks.

I met him once when we both were taking an afternoon break at Zeke's, which was right across the street from the old athletic dept offices. He seemed very approachable, and somewhat friendly. But I might have caught him on a good day.

Edited by SilverEagle

Oldguystudent- My bad. I thought you missed something, but after going back and reading it again, I guess you didn't.

Eulessismore,

According to people "in the know", Rod Rust did not recruit the core players (Joe Greene etc) that made up his 67 and 68 teams....Odus Mitchell (and his staff) did. According to the same people, Rod Rust was a very good X's and O's coach, but a terrible recruiter and probably not very personable. That might account for his moving around a lot in the pro ranks.

I met him once when we both were taking an afternoon break at Zeke's, which was right across the street from the old athletic dept offices. He seemed very approachable, and somewhat friendly. But I might have caught him on a good day.

Silvereagle, I found this on the Internet, a column that was written by one of the Sullivan family.

One of the Patriots' Sullivan family on Rust.

I thought it was interesting one of the Sullivan kids, then, 13, was quoted, in referring to Rust's chain smoking, that "You'd be smoking like that, too, if you were coaching this team." It doesn't sound like, as you say, that he was good at recruiting, and probably didn't have anything to do with drafting Andre Tippett (and took some heat from position coaches about the way he was sometimes using Tippett in coverage rather than rushing the passer). I'm still thinking that, whether he did anything right, he must not have been a complete failure, to have coached players like Greene and Tippett. Maybe he just coasted on Mitchell's recruiting class for 3 years at North Texas, and eventually got promoted above his level of competence with the Patriots. Still, made a career out of coaching, mostly at the pro level, with at least some success, serving as DC when the Patriots went to the Superbowl in 1985.

Silvereagle, I found this on the Internet, a column that was written by one of the Sullivan family.

One of the Patriots' Sullivan family on Rust.

I thought it was interesting one of the Sullivan kids, then, 13, was quoted, in referring to Rust's chain smoking, that "You'd be smoking like that, too, if you were coaching this team." It doesn't sound like, as you say, that he was good at recruiting, and probably didn't have anything to do with drafting Andre Tippett (and took some heat from position coaches about the way he was sometimes using Tippett in coverage rather than rushing the passer). I'm still thinking that, whether he did anything right, he must not have been a complete failure, to have coached players like Greene and Tippett. Maybe he just coasted on Mitchell's recruiting class for 3 years at North Texas, and eventually got promoted above his level of competence with the Patriots. Still, made a career out of coaching, mostly at the pro level, with at least some success, serving as DC when the Patriots went to the Superbowl in 1985.

I don't think anyone has ever questioned his knowledge of the game.....just his people skills.

That comment by the 13 year old reminded me of when someone told me that Corky Nelson had a drinking problem. My comment back was, "well hell! If I had to put up with this stingy administration and an unmotivated (and equally stingy) fan base, I'd drink too!"

Good luck to Coach Dickey...why not wish him well? May not have been "the guy" to take UNT forward, but he did a decent job while here before he decided to stop recruiting and pretty much "stand pat" the last couple of years after winning the conference and going bowling. No hard feelings here...good luck Coach Dickey at New Mexico.