Less Than 20 Seconds

greenjoe

Why, with some, not much, but some time left on the clock, did we not try to get down the field and try to score something late in the first half ? As I recall, we had 8 seconds left when the ball was caught and the receiver stepped out of bounds. A long pass ? A long field goal attempt with the wind at our backs ? Almost anything other than taking the snap and downing the ball.

In the late seconds of the 4th quarter, this is always done. Why not as the first half winds down ?

Why, with some, not much, but some time left on the clock, did we not try to get down the field and try to score something late in the first half ? As I recall, we had 8 seconds left when the ball was caught and the receiver stepped out of bounds. A long pass ? A long field goal attempt with the wind at our backs ? Almost anything other than taking the snap and downing the ball.

In the late seconds of the 4th quarter, this is always done. Why not as the first half winds down ?

I mentioned this same thin in an earlier post, glad to see I'm not the only one who thought this was a bad decision.

Anyone care to go into the archives and revisit this complaint about Darrell Dickey? You know...not taking chances and being daring enough.

Didn't think so.

For what it's worth, Darrell Dickey's "boring offense" at Utah State outproduced ours this year. For what it's worth, of course. Amazing how a man who knew so little, lucked into four conference titles in a row, could direct an offense at such a crappy school like USU to produce more than the offensive "genius" who replaced him.

Yes, Dickey's USU offense scored more touchdown rushing and passing than Dodge's did in 2008. And, for what it's worth, they threw fewer interceptions than Dodge's crew.

Probably just luck, though. Like the conference titles he won here and all.

Anyone care to go into the archives and revisit this complaint about Darrell Dickey? You know...not taking chances and being daring enough.

Didn't think so.

For what it's worth, Darrell Dickey's "boring offense" at Utah State outproduced ours this year. For what it's worth, of course. Amazing how a man who knew so little, lucked into four conference titles in a row, could direct an offense at such a crappy school like USU to produce more than the offensive "genius" who replaced him.

Yes, Dickey's USU offense scored more touchdown rushing and passing than Dodge's did in 2008. And, for what it's worth, they threw fewer interceptions than Dodge's crew.

Not sure what your point is there. Yes, he had a few more TDs, but 36 TDs is hardly impressive. So both teams stunk it up, we just stunk it up worse.

Not sure what your point is there. Yes, he had a few more TDs, but 36 TDs is hardly impressive. So both teams stunk it up, we just stunk it up worse.

Who says he needs a point? Some people continue to think that it was DD's coaching failures alone that cost him his job. As long as they live in that mindset, they will never go forward.

Didn't think so.

I would love to state my true feelings, but I don't care to get suspended from the board again.

DD's Utah State offense had the following this year:

288 points

209 1st downs

2358 passing yards

342 attempts

193 completions

16 TD's

14 interceptions

TD's North Texas offense had the following:

240 points

247 1st downs

2822 passing yards

513 attempts

317 completions

15 TD's

17 interceptions

North Texas gained 4,356 total yards this year (rushing + passing) while USU gained 4,015. USU outscored NT by 48 points and NT outgained USU by 341 yards. Seems like a wash to me.

Plus DD allowed his offensive coordinator to attack a fan in the stands without any repercussions, allowed the same coach to attack another coach at halftime in front of the team and still did nothing. The same coach didn't recruit his area at all resulting in poor relationships with the area's HS coaches. DD had one or two good recruiting classes that led to his successful run in the Sun Belt. Care to look at Dickey's record his first few years here? I seem to remember NT being 0-5 and people calling for his head before the 26 game winning streak happened. Did DD capitalize on this success by increasing recruiting? No. Dodge's 2008 signing class was rated higher than any of DD's and was ranked as one of the top "mid-major" classes in the nation last year.

For someone that claims to use his brain when assessing the current situation, you sure turn a blind eye to many facts. Then again, lawyers are trained to do that.

Anyone care to go into the archives and revisit this complaint about Darrell Dickey?

guess you missed the part about dd only winning 3 of 9 seasons here. glad he is gone.

Edited by LoveMG

I would love to state my true feelings, but I don't care to get suspended from the board again.

DD's Utah State offense had the following this year:

288 points

209 1st downs

2358 passing yards

342 attempts

193 completions

16 TD's

14 interceptions

TD's North Texas offense had the following:

240 points

247 1st downs

2822 passing yards

513 attempts

317 completions

15 TD's

17 interceptions

North Texas gained 4,356 total yards this year (rushing + passing) while USU gained 4,015. USU outscored NT by 48 points and NT outgained USU by 341 yards. Seems like a wash to me.

Plus DD allowed his offensive coordinator to attack a fan in the stands without any repercussions, allowed the same coach to attack another coach at halftime in front of the team and still did nothing. The same coach didn't recruit his area at all resulting in poor relationships with the area's HS coaches. DD had one or two good recruiting classes that led to his successful run in the Sun Belt. Care to look at Dickey's record his first few years here? I seem to remember NT being 0-5 and people calling for his head before the 26 game winning streak happened. Did DD capitalize on this success by increasing recruiting? No. Dodge's 2008 signing class was rated higher than any of DD's and was ranked as one of the top "mid-major" classes in the nation last year.

For someone that claims to use his brain when assessing the current situation, you sure turn a blind eye to many facts. Then again, lawyers are trained to do that.

The difference?

Defense.

Total defense:

NT...#119, at 482.58 yards per game......USU...#99th, at 412.67 yards per game.

Scoring defense:

NT....#119, at 47.6 poinst per game........USU...#106, at 34.7 points per game.

Rick

Yes but aren't the Utah state coaches fired after this season?

Didn't think so.

Didn't think so.

You can't possibly suggest that we should have kept DD are you?

Regardless of whether you think Dodge is good or bad for UNT... DD needed to go.

Help me with this. I was at the game and I believe we had the ball at about the 50 yard line with seven seconds left in the half? The field goal would have been close to 60-65 yards and given that our kicker can't kick that far (unless he kicks it twice) and that we had just committed a huge error in kick coverage (by the way a squib kick in the last seconds is a good play if you can cover and tackle, if you can't, it doesn't matter how far you kick it) I can see why Dodge choose not to risk the fate of an interception being returned for a TD given we were playing well and within 3 points. Granted I would have heaved a long pass and hoped for an interference penalty and a field goal try on a stopped clock, but in college the penalty is only 15 yards (instead of a spot foul like the pros) so the field goal attempt would still have been very long, even with the wind.. Of course Vizza could have thrown it 60 yards (can he) and we come up with a miracle catch...........?

Still waiting for TFLF to reply.

I don't think TFLF was advocating we should have brought back DD, or should not have fired him. I think his point was to put perspective on the offensive mastermind we have and his stats...the ones you just called a wash with DD's.

Edited by greenminer

I don't think TFLF was advocating we should have brought back DD, or should not have fired him. I think his point was to put perspective on the offensive mastermind we have and his stats...the ones you just called a wash with DD's.

bingo-pic2.gif

We have a winner. Green Miner understands that there are more than two people - Darrell Dickey and Todd Dodge - that are qualified to coach at North Texas. And, therefore, any discussion involving both isn't an endorsement of one or the other. But, Dodge-bangers are (understandably) testy these days since their Chosen One isn't panning out.

And, further - and, some would say, more importantly - Green Miner can tell when a simple comparison is being made for the sake of comparison. Darrell Dickey was criticized for lack of offense; Dodge was hire to remedy that. The team with Dickey calling the offensive shots scored more and won more than the Dodge-led team this season.

It's just one of those funny little things that happens along life's road I suppose.

This is a song about a whale...NO!...this is a song about being happy!

bingo-pic2.gif

We have a winner. Green Miner understands that there are more than two people - Darrell Dickey and Todd Dodge - that are qualified to coach at North Texas. And, therefore, any discussion involving both isn't an endorsement of one or the other. But, Dodge-bangers are (understandably) testy these days since their Chosen One isn't panning out.

And, further - and, some would say, more importantly - Green Miner can tell when a simple comparison is being made for the sake of comparison. Darrell Dickey was criticized for lack of offense; Dodge was hire to remedy that. The team with Dickey calling the offensive shots scored more and won more than the Dodge-led team this season.

It's just one of those funny little things that happens along life's road I suppose.

This is a song about a whale...NO!...this is a song about being happy!

Lonnie,

How many of our practices have you observed to come up with these evaluations of our personnel? And how many of these other teams have you seen play, and how many practices of those did you observe? Not being smart Lonnie, but you are really getting carried away.

Lonnie,

How many of our practices have you observed to come up with these evaluations of our personnel? And how many of these other teams have you seen play, and how many practices of those did you observe? Not being smart Lonnie, but you are really getting carried away.

Practices? Are we now simply keeping the coach around because he says week after week that they have good practices? I've heard him say it in the Monday shows, the pregame shows, anywhere and everywhere, "I don't know why we weren't competitive. We felt like we had a good week of practice."

Gee, and all this time I thought it was the games that counted. If practice performance is more important that game performance, we're in deeper trouble than anyone knows.

Anyway, since Dodge keeps his practices closed (because, really, what schools isn't sending spies to figure out the secret to going 3-21 and being blown out regularly...it's a secret that must be closely guarded), the only thing I have to work with is the results on game day. Last I saw, the standings that count are the game day wins and losses, not what happens in practice.

This is just another twist on the "you're not a coach" defense of Dodge. I don't have to be a coach or watch a practice to recognize poor football. Neither does anyone else. I see the end result of the practice in the games...against competition that also wasn't at the practice.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Practices? Are we now simply keeping the coach around because he says week after week that they have good practices? I've heard him say it in the Monday shows, the pregame shows, anywhere and everywhere, "I don't know why we weren't competitive. We felt like we had a good week of practice."

Gee, and all this time I thought it was the games that counted. If practice performance is more important that game performance, we're in deeper trouble than anyone knows.

Anyway, since Dodge keeps his practices closed (because, really, what schools isn't sending spies to figure out the secret to going 3-21 and being blown out regularly...it's a secret that must be closely guarded), the only thing I have to work with is the results on game day. Last I saw, the standings that count are the game day wins and losses, not what happens in practice.

This is just another twist on the "you're not a coach" defense of Dodge. I don't have to be a coach or watch a practice to recognize poor football. Neither does anyone else. I see the end result of the practice in the games...against competition that also wasn't at the practice.

Lonnie,

Then how do you know what the guys on the bench are capable of? And finally, what do you realistically think the win/loss record should be at this point for the past two seasons. By the way, sorry I did not make myself clear.