Sam Houston State (11/20/08)

CMJ

I didn't listen to the whole game, and I don't know the players names very well yet, so a bit hard to follow, but it sounds like UNT's got some good coaching going on...in basketball.

Whenever you can make it to a home game, sit with us and we'll make it as easy to follow as possible.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice win. I got there at halftime. Obviously great games from Odufuwa, White and Johnson. Most everyone else seemed a little off. IMO, we clearly had the better team, but this was pretty close to a nail biter. We did an EXCELLENT job in the closing minutes clamping down on defense. The block by Tramiel was awesome, and those two FT's by Stewart at the end were crucial. White's FT's clinched it. Have a lot of confidence in our small guards, and they did a much better job on perimeter defense tonight. The officiating pretty much sucked. Stewart's offensive goal tending call was BS, as were several fouls on both sides (mainly against us). I've been to their FB stadium several times, but this was my first time in there BB arena. Not too bad. Kind of like a smaller version of the Frog's arena in FW. Probably no more than a thousand people in attendance. We may have some problems defensively against certain opponents this year, as we still seem to be a little small overall to me, but hopefully that can be overcome. Again, nice win. Time to sleep.

I missed this game b/c I was busy bitch slapping my liver...but I just read through and saw that McCoy picked up 3 quick fouls, yet every box I've read has him with only 2. Even with 3 I think 8 minutes is a bit paltry...same with Hogans and only 10 minutes...was it more a product of their poor play or how well guys like Johnson and Tramiel played?

I'm a big fan of the performance from our 2 new bigs...21 points, 16 rebounds, 5 assists and 7 blocks between Odufuwa and Tramiel

Free throw shooting as a whole didn't improve...but props to Harold Stewart on the 4-4 night.

18-15 assist to turnover total is ok...but 5-8 between Johnson and White needs improvement

Quality win...should be able to keep the streak going into Indiana State.

I missed this game b/c I was busy bitch slapping my liver...but I just read through and saw that McCoy picked up 3 quick fouls, yet every box I've read has him with only 2. Even with 3 I think 8 minutes is a bit paltry...same with Hogans and only 10 minutes...was it more a product of their poor play or how well guys like Johnson and Tramiel played?

I'm a big fan of the performance from our 2 new bigs...21 points, 16 rebounds, 5 assists and 7 blocks between Odufuwa and Tramiel

Free throw shooting as a whole didn't improve...but props to Harold Stewart on the 4-4 night.

18-15 assist to turnover total is ok...but 5-8 between Johnson and White needs improvement

Quality win...should be able to keep the streak going into Indiana State.

Well the reason for the lack of minutes was because you had 3 guys(white, johnson, and odufuwa) that were on fire. That only left two spots for the rest of the team really. most of the night it was whit, johnson, and dennis or thompson. and in the fc it was odufuwa and they rotated pretty evenly between stewart, hogans, and tramiel.

BTW, I'm not sure who watched it on the premium feed, but did you hear the announcers say they thought shsu was the superior team?

My son and I drove to the game last night from Kingwood. I did not think either team played that well. They had a tough D (except for their inbound plays) and they seemed qicker than us. But we found a way to win. White kept getting trapped on the double team and did not look good at all in the first half. I will give him credit for the bif ft's at the end. They were clutch as well as Stewerts. Sam should have tried the full court press more as we struggled with it still. Overall the team kept their head in the game. Johnnie has some depth and used it well. Tristan looked good as well as GEorge at times. It was a team win as nobody really stood out to me.

Their #10 was hot and they did not get the ball in his hands late. The refs were bad both ways. I think it got to coach after a while. He is so cool on the sidelines compared to most coaches. This was a tough win. The team kept it's composure which is a good sign of a mature and well coached team. We had some great blocks and our shot selection was good. This may be a real smart team that plays within themselves. That could make for a good season in the belt.

BTW, I'm not sure who watched it on the premium feed, but did you hear the announcers say they thought shsu was the superior team?

No way was Sam the superior team. I guess we'll find out more on that when they come to Denton. I hope those announcers weren't the same Sam Houston announcers that I listened to during the first half. Easily the worst radio crew that I have ever heard. I had no idea what was going on in the game. They never said the score, made up players names, gave no detail at all, and referred to us as the "Mountaineers." Someone corrected them and they finally settled on the "Eagles." Makes you really appreciate Hank and George when you hear something like that.