Nt Wins 51-40

OldTimer

Might wanna tap the brakes there; he couldn't really hit as receiver in the 3rd quarter.

But, it's like he said last year, the only thing that matters is winning. All I'm really disappointed about is our lack of consistent progress on special teams. There has been some improvement in ko returns, but still the one fumble hurt; giving up the big punt and kickoff returns continues to be a big problem.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, it's like he said last year, the only thing that matters is winning. All I'm really disappointed about is our lack of consistent progress on special teams. There has been some improvement in ko returns, but still the one fumble hurt; giving up the big punt and kickoff returns continues to be a big problem.

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled by the win. I just think that to quote the passing stats by themselves can be misleading. Its probably a good sign that we got a win w/o Vizza needing to throw for 500 yards. I thought that Cam was really good tonight.

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled by the win. I just think that to quote the passing stats by themselves can be misleading. Its probably a good sign that we got a win w/o Vizza needing to throw for 500 yards. I thought that Cam was really good tonight.

What a lot of people don't realize is that Dodge ran the ball about as much as he passed at SLC (dare I mention that?). Of course, Tre Newton was a good back, but you have to have enough balance between pass and run to keep them honest.

Great win guys! I heard it on the radio and am currently watching the beginning of the second half. Definitely will stick around to see the incredible end. Could of been a little more convincing (LOL!) but I'll certainly take it. For the first time in a couple of years I will say; LOVE YA DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope this is the beginning of something very good around here!!

Wow. Im watching the replay and trying to pay attention to things I didnt see when watching it live. This is a different team. I see a TON of improvment. Did we set the world on fire with out play, not necessarily. Althought the goalline stands were great. There is still alot of improvment to be made, but I definetly see a different team out there today, and WKU is at the least, a decent team.

More enthusiasm, better play, unity, goalline stands (which take alot of guts), more enthusiasm.

This is a different team, and I wouldnt be suprised if this and the adversity of last week are a turning point for this program.

Two more observations regarding this being a different team.

1. Coaches wearing UA shirts that are now in our shade of green.

2. In the 3rd quarter, Vizza's pass hit the ground in front of Fitz. Fitz picks up the ball without missing a heartbeat, and runs for 20+ yards. Selling the catch PERFECTLY! It took a review to declare the pass incomplete. I dont think this would have happened earlier in the year.

DeLoach’s endorsement of Dodge was the most interesting thing about tonight. I’ve been sitting on the fence about Dodge reserving judgment until next year. However, when DeLoach speaks it hard not to listen.

I think it's easy to say that we saw progress tonight in Dodges' ability to adapt... I didn't know we had a TE on the roster anymore... Still waiting for that snap under center. Even High Schools can switch from a shotgun to pro/I.

Might wanna tap the brakes there; he couldn't really hit as receiver in the 3rd quarter.

Yes, he was not razor accurate at times, and admittedly, one area I feel Vizza has regressed in as QB is the deep throws. But his overall performance was very good. I don't know how someone can say Vizza had accuracy problems throwing 4TDs and 62%. With the exception of special teams, this was an all around hard fought, hard nosed performance by the Mean Green.

I think we'd all take an ugly (at times) win over a loss any day. What a crazy game - ranks up there with the Utah St game several years ago. It had a little bit of everything, big momentum swings, scoring in buckets, turn-overs, goal-line stands, a blocked PAT returned for 2 points (when was the last time we did that?), a 97-yard INT returned for a TD in the closing seconds of the game to seal the victory. I believe that ties for the 4th longest INT return in the North Texas record book. Kick offs are just a mystery and a scary part of the game for us. Maybe we need to start kicking it out of bounds on purpose or find someone (anyone) who can kick it deeper than the 10-15 yard line. Both Royce Hill and John Shorter did a great job returning kicks - that was nice to see.

Perhaps the events earlier this week will turn out to be the type of cathartic event this team needed. They definitely got the monkey off their backs last night. Let's hope they can finish the season strong. Congratulations to the players and coaches. Go Mean Green!!!

Keith

Last time we ran a PAT back? I think it was:

OU 40

NT 2

gmg

You are correct UNTcmpbell. I was in attendance that day as well in (1991?) and the OU crowd went wild on their first score. You could here a pin drop though after the 96 yrd safety from the blocked PAT. The name of the UNT player that ran it back in 91 escapes my memory.

Another significant positive from yesterday's win IMHO is that it was up to the defense to win it for us. I must admit I was a bit nervous when it became obvious that it was going to be up to the D, but they never caved. They stuck it out and brought home the victory. Way to go Defense!

I had taped the game and was still watching after the outcome was already known. My son knew the final score from a text alert he had set up. I had made him promise not to give it away, but he did have a funny look on his face as he walked in at the very end of the game with the score 45-40 with WKy on the 1-yd line and time running out.....probaby trying to reconcile what he was seeing on the field and what he knew the final score to be, but he never gave it away.

BTW, thanks to SUMG for alerting us to the fact that there was an early game on before ours that meant we would probably miss the first part of the game on ESPN GamePlan. Luckily it was also being broadcast on MASN so I switched my recording to that channel and got the entire game. Wild start and wild finish.

Keith

I think we'd all take an ugly (at times) win over a loss any day. What a crazy game - ranks up there with the Utah St game several years ago. It had a little bit of everything, big momentum swings, scoring in buckets, turn-overs, goal-line stands, a blocked PAT returned for 2 points (when was the last time we did that?), a 97-yard INT returned for a TD in the closing seconds of the game to seal the victory. I believe that ties for the 4th longest INT return in the North Texas record book. Kick offs are just a mystery and a scary part of the game for us. Maybe we need to start kicking it out of bounds on purpose or find someone (anyone) who can kick it deeper than the 10-15 yard line. Both Royce Hill and John Shorter did a great job returning kicks - that was nice to see.

Perhaps the events earlier this week will turn out to be the type of cathartic event this team needed. They definitely got the monkey off their backs last night. Let's hope they can finish the season strong. Congratulations to the players and coaches. Go Mean Green!!!

Keith

Kickoffs and kickoff returns are both scary.

You are correct UNTcmpbell. I was in attendance that day as well in (1991?) and the OU crowd went wild on their first score. You could here a pin drop though after the 96 yrd safety from the blocked PAT. The name of the UNT player that ran it back in 91 escapes my memory.

Keith Wilkerson. I went to that game as well. It was the first UNT road game I attended. Wilkerson was dating one of my girlfriend's friends at the time. He was a good player for that era. Nice guy, too.

Keith Wilkerson. I went to that game as well. It was the first UNT road game I attended. Wilkerson was dating one of my girlfriend's friends at the time. He was a good player for that era. Nice guy, too.

I was working for the SID office at this time and Keith was a very good player for any era. He was 6-3, 220 and ran a 4.6. He was a teammate of G-Money. And Keith was a great guy. He and Greg (G-Money) and a couple of other players did Anti-Drug PSA announcements for me that ran on NTTV.

I just realized that Smittys Micah Mosley Fan Bar looks an aweful lot like Mike Madano.... anyone else notice this.?

Edited by GreenBlooded1

Just noticed that the win bumped us up 23 spots in the Sagarin ratings. I didn't want to bring this up last week, but according to this scale, we were ranked worse than any of the teams in our former FCS affiliation, the Southland Conference. Not the case any more. I look forward to how far we bump up after next week's WIN!

Go Mean Green!

Just noticed that the win bumped us up 23 spots in the Sagarin ratings. I didn't want to bring this up last week, but according to this scale, we were ranked worse than any of the teams in our former FCS affiliation, the Southland Conference. Not the case any more. I look forward to how far we bump up after next week's WIN!

Go Mean Green!

Sweet Avatar UNT 90 Grad. Alway's one of my favorite helmet logos.

helmetcollection08_400x300.jpg

Rick

Two more observations regarding this being a different team.

1. Coaches wearing UA shirts that are now in our shade of green.

Aren't these the same shirts the coaches were wearing at the Rice game? I was curious as to why these aren't available.

I asked Hank at the coaches show one night about getting one. He says that Under Armour only makes so many for the athletic department and that is it. None for anybody else.

Heck of a deal we've got with UA. Wish we would go with Addidas, Nike, Russell or someone that would provide shirts, etc... to the fans.

Edited by UNTLifer

Heck of a deal we've got with UA. Wish we would go with Addidas, Nike, Russell or someone that would provide shirts, etc... to the fans.

We don't have a "deal" with UA. They don't support us in any way other than providing purchased uniforms and a few shirts for the coaching staff. If you want to buy the minimums that the Athletic Department has to buy, you too can own one of anything you see, provided you have the right license and tax ID.

Sweet Avatar UNT 90 Grad. Alway's one of my favorite helmet logos.

helmetcollection08_400x300.jpg

Rick

One of mine too. But I suppose we might be a bit biased since it was the helmet logo when we were attending the University. Say, is that Charlie Banks' helmet on the left? Dodge's drug testing has brought back fond memories of Coach "Straight Arrow" Gennero.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad