Just A Reminder

FirefightnRick

Just a reminder here as I think many of us need it right now.

This has to be the most sickening football season in history for North Texas and it could argueably rank second to that of the death penalty debacle at SMU in the 80's. This recent mess, first the APR disaster, then the defections and injuries, and now with the record and unbelievable beatings our team has taken has been bad enough. Now this latest issue that no doubt has become nation wide including being on the ticker on CNN and in a New York Newspaper has us at an all time low. I feel how everyone is living with this right now. I feel the laughing and teasing your getting thrown at you at work and within your circles of family and friends. Believe me when I say this, I live with it for 24 hours at a time at the firehall. You couldn't count the numerous newspaper clippings and hand made signs hanging up all over the station each time I walk in, having the success of the longhorns and horned frogs thrown in my face every freaking day, including the glow-in-the-dark spray painted mockings of the Mean Green on the walls and ceilings over and around my bunk when the lights go out at night. Believe me, I know what your going through with the teasing. It's horribly bad right now and there's no other way to put it and I know it's pissing everyone off so much that your nearly pulling your hair out.

But recently I have seen oppinions and attitudes that speak of defeatism in which people have pledged to turn their backs on North Texas if issues with the university didn't turn out like we hope they should, never to return if a coaching change isn't made or if the team doesn't turn it around. I'm asking you right now to CHECK YOUR CHARACTER AND HOLD THE LINE and here's why.

How do you think Scott Davis and company felt going into the lockerroom in Lubbock in '88 being down 18 to 20 points? I'll tell you how. They checked their character and held the line the next half and took care of business and left lubbotocks with a great win for our 1-AA program back then.

How do you think Ol Green Guts and Scott Hall and Leftwich and Deloach felt for the final game in '00, going into that last home game against the Aggies of NMSU 2-7 and seeing an estimated 900 of us show up to see them play on that dreary November day? They checked their character and held the line and defeated NMSU that proved to me what a true gut check was all about.

Look at the very next season. The same group of men, facing a surging 5-0 MTSU team that had a Hiesman hopefull RB on their team, while themselves sitting at 0-5 at home. Think there wasn't someone on that team thinking of quitting? NO, THERE WASN'T. They checked their character and held the line and physically beat them down. Remember how it felt that night AFTER the game at Bonfire? Do you remember, those of you members of that original 900 from the previous years' last game? DO YOU REMEMBER what happened the next week? This same group of men, who only a week before was winless, beat arkansas state's ASS to the tune of 45-0.

Then the next week at NMSU. With the clock running down under 2 and half minutes to go, and behind by 5 and NMSU rushing for 5 and 8 yards per carry and looking to extend their lead, you think Craig Jones and company was thinking about getting off the field and back to the lockerroom and getting cleaned up for their long trip back to Denton? NO! Jones came in and DECLEATED the ball carrier, forcing him to cough up the ball to us which led to one of the greatest comebacks in our history. Three separate times after that play we virtually lost the game, only to see that team check their character and hold the line and continue one of the greatest conference runs in the nation that would extend for three more years.

These last three examples above are why you couldn't wipe the smiles off of US original 900 some odd fans from the '00 NMSU game after the Cincy game two years later in New Orleans with a sandblaster. These times can and will return.

Todd Dodge is our head coach. There isn't anyone more sick over this than he is and he will work for us harder than anyone who has ever worked for you before to get this turned around. His players are our team and he and his team needs us now more than ever before. And let me add this, you shouldn't like how things are going right. As a stockholder in this program, you SHOULD demand that it improves. I simply want to remind you, if your even remotely thinking about turning your backs on this program that doing so IS NOT THE ANSWER, and our TRADITION points it out very clearly that it certainly IS NOT THE MEAN GREEN WAY!

With that, I'll ask: WHY DO WE GET KNOCKED DOWN????????? SO WE CAN GET RIGHT BACK UP!!!!!!

So CHECK YOUR CHARACTER and HOLD THAT LINE,

and I'll See You At Fouts On November 29th.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Just a reminder here as I think many of us need it right now.

This has to be the most sickening football season in history for North Texas and it could argueably rank second to that of the death penalty debacle at SMU in the 80's. This recent mess, first the APR disaster, then the defections and injuries, and now with the record and unbelievable beatings our team has taken has been bad enough. Now this latest issue that no doubt has become nation wide including being on the ticker on CNN and in a New York Newspaper has us at an all time low. I feel how everyone is living with this right now. I feel the laughing and teasing your getting thrown at you at work and within your circles of family and friends. Believe me when I say this, I live with it for 24 hours at a time at the firehall. You couldn't count the numerous newspaper clippings and hand made signs hanging up all over the station each time I walk in, having the success of the longhorns and horned frogs thrown in my face every freaking day, including the glow-in-the-dark spray painted mockings of the Mean Green on the walls and ceilings over and around my bunk when the lights go out at night. Believe me, I know what your going through with the teasing. It's horribly bad right now and there's no other way to put it and I know it's pissing everyone off so much that your nearly pulling your hair out.

But recently I have seen oppinions and attitudes that speak of defeatism in which people have pledged to turn their backs on North Texas if issues with the university didn't turn out like we hope they should, never to return if a coaching change isn't made or if the team doesn't turn it around. I'm asking you right now to CHECK YOUR CHARACTER AND HOLD THE LINE and here's why.

How do you think Scott Davis and company felt going into the lockerroom in Lubbock in '88 being down 18 to 20 points? I'll tell you how. They checked their character and held the line the next half and took care of business and left lubbotocks with a great win for our 1-AA program back then.

How do you think Ol Green Guts and Scott Hall and Leftwich and Deloach felt for the final game in '00, going into that last home game against the Aggies of NMSU 2-7 and seeing an estimated 900 of us show up to see them play on that dreary November day? They checked their character and held the line and defeated NMSU that proved to me what a true gut check was all about.

Look at the very next season. The same group of men, facing a surging 5-0 MTSU team that had a Hiesman hopefull RB on their team, while themselves sitting at 0-5 at home. Think there wasn't someone on that team thinking of quitting? NO, THERE WASN'T. They checked their character and held the line and physically beat them down. Remember how it felt that night AFTER the game at Bonfire? Do you remember, those of you members of that original 900 from the previous years' last game? DO YOU REMEMBER what happened the next week? This same group of men, who only a week before was winless, beat arkansas state's ASS to the tune of 45-0.

Then the next week at NMSU. With the clock running down under 2 and half minutes to go, and behind by 5 and NMSU rushing for 5 and 8 yards per carry and looking to extend their lead, you think Craig Jones and company was thinking about getting off the field and back to the lockerroom and getting cleaned up for their long trip back to Denton? NO! Jones came in and DECLEATED the ball carrier, forcing him to cough up the ball to us which led to one of the greatest comebacks in our history. Three separate times after that play we virtually lost the game, only to see that team check their character and hold the line and continue one of the greatest conference runs in the nation that would extend for three more years.

These last three examples above are why you couldn't wipe the smiles off of US original 900 some odd fans from the '00 NMSU game after the Cincy game two years later in New Orleans with a sandblaster. These times can and will return.

Todd Dodge is our head coach. There isn't anyone more sick over this than he is and he will work for us harder than anyone who has ever worked for you before to get this turned around. His players are our team and he and his team needs us now more than ever before. And let me add this, you shouldn't like how things are going right. As a stockholder in this program, you SHOULD demand that it improves. I simply want to remind you, if your even remotely thinking about turning your backs on this program that doing so IS NOT THE ANSWER, and our TRADITION points it out very clearly that it certainly IS NOT THE MEAN GREEN WAY!

With that, I'll ask: WHY DO WE GET KNOCKED DOWN????????? SO WE CAN GET RIGHT BACK UP!!!!!!

So CHECK YOUR CHARACTER and HOLD THAT LINE,

and I'll See You At Fouts On November 29th.

Rick

I agree 100 %. OldTimer

YIPPEEEE!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!! It's guy check and character time for the Mean Green faithful. Like I have said before on this board...easy to be Green when you are 8-0...lots of folks jumping on the bandwagon...same folks now want to jump off! It's time this board started thinking about some of the things they are posting that are totally "out of line" regarding the players and the coaching staff.

CHARACTER TIME IS RIGHT! Rick's example's were of the team and its character, but it's time for the faithful to show the same character as out team is trying to show. We need rears in the seats for the last home game and we need more POSITIVE input on this board!

No, don't give me the "head in the sand" speech. I am not saying to ignore the season UNT is having on the field, but that simply is not the whole story. Hang in there Mean Green Nation...you WILL be rewarded for your patience and your support.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

Tell me know that your co-workers don't really do that. Tell them to kiss your a.

They probably do worse to Rick than what he puts on here. And the worst thing that Rick could do is start telling them to kiss his a_ _. If you're a Fireman you better be able to take it. And showing any sort of reaction and/or anger would only increase the harassment.

Since fans need to do a gut check, can at the same time expect our beloved football team also do a gut check and play to their potential.

Time to release the bull and take off the reigns.

Edited by untbowler

Sorry, but I just don't know what to think about Dodge anymore. I want to believe he will turn things around, but I have seen nothing on the field of play that suggests he can make the right calls in a college atmosphere. I am not giving up on this program and I will continue to support it. Like I said in another post I am just really concerned about the state of the program.

Great post, Rick.

Although I don't think this is nearly as bad as SMU's death penalty. We may be getting pretty hammered right now on and off the field, but UNT could conceivably recover from this within a few years and be right where we want to be.

SMU was basically put in a wheelchair for 20 years.

Who is not supporting this team? Sure, people have posted rants, but can you blame them? You said it yourself Rick, "This has to be the most sickening football season in history for North Texas and it could argueably rank second to that of the death penalty debacle at SMU in the 80's." You've posted strong criticism, too, and I don't blame you. Can you blame anyone for being disgusted?

It's easy to post online that you won't be back, but no one has jumped ship yet. Look at last week. The support is there. The fact is that an 0-8 team that is giving up 50 points a game and losing by 33 points a game drew a crowd of 18,000 last week. 18,000. An 0-8 team from second-level conference drew 18,000? And this program was certainly supported by the students who voted for the stadium. If that's not support then I don't know what is.

You don't want the "head in the sand" speech, KRAM? Well some of us are tired of the blind-faith Pollyanna shtick in the face of "the most sickening football season in history for North Texas." We're all supporting this program with our time and passion and money. People are posting because they care. If they didn't care these pages would be empty. If attendance dips on November 29, it will be predominantly because of the Thanksgiving holiday.

Yes, some may turn away from this program, but many of us will be there on November 29. No gut check needed.

Who is not supporting this team? Sure, people have posted rants, but can you blame them? You said it yourself Rick, "This has to be the most sickening football season in history for North Texas and it could argueably rank second to that of the death penalty debacle at SMU in the 80's." You've posted strong criticism, too, and I don't blame you. Can you blame anyone for being disgusted?

It's easy to post online that you won't be back, but no one has jumped ship yet. Look at last week. The support is there. The fact is that an 0-8 team that is giving up 50 points a game and losing by 33 points a game drew a crowd of 18,000 last week. 18,000. An 0-8 team from second-level conference drew 18,000? And this program was certainly supported by the students who voted for the stadium. If that's not support then I don't know what is.

You don't want the "head in the sand" speech, KRAM? Well some of us are tired of the blind-faith Pollyanna shtick in the face of "the most sickening football season in history for North Texas." We're all supporting this program with our time and passion and money. People are posting because they care. If they didn't care these pages would be empty. If attendance dips on November 29, it will be predominantly because of the Thanksgiving holiday.

Yes, some may turn away from this program, but many of us will be there on November 29. No gut check needed.

Again - there is no WAY in HELL that we had 18K attend the game last weekend. I bet you guys sucked at guessing the number of candy in the jar back in elementary school.

People have come and gone over the past few years but everyone here knows who the faithful are and those opinions are the ones that matter. Smitty most of the posting on here has been negative or neutral at best. Just remeber HISTORY because it always repeats itself and I have a feeling someone will be EATING CROW again some day.

Its not going to happen this year and most likely not next year so LEAD, FOLLOW or GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY.

Rick that post brought back great memories. Those fans at the NMSU game mean more to me than the packed stadium vs NMSU for the conference championship.

GO MEAN GREEN - THE NATION WILL RISE AGAIN!

Edited by Ole Green Guts

Its not going to happen this year and most likely not next year so LEAD, FOLLOW or GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY.

Exactly what won't happen? Do you guys expect conference titles, a BCS bid, just to compete? I think I could understand you guys more if I knew your expectations.

I am not trying to be an ass here I really want to know - What are this board's expectations for the future of this program? In my opinion I think winning the Belt is probably the tip of the iceberg, but that is just my opinion.

I will hang up and listen now....

Great post Rick!

We need to keep our eyes on the prize: a new football stadium, better recruiting, more money support, a new men's baseball program, future conference membership possibilities, etc.

I think that during these hard times, it may help to look back and see just how far we've come since 2000 (and better yet since the 80's). Granted our programs have not progressed as quickly as many had hoped, but the upwards progressions are seen in the foundations being laid (Athletic Center, new football stadium which is now a reality, etc.).

We all loved and enjoyed the 4 Sun Belt championships in football and are very thankful to those that made it happen. But the program didn't blossom from that success and in fact regressed over the next 2 years. We are in the midst of a major overhaul - it is extremely tough right now - but it will get MUCH better.

Stay the course - give Dodge his 4 years to make something great happen. Recruiting has improved - fan support has improved - season ticket purchases have improved - the foundations are being laid.

I am not trying to be an ass here

For some people, it just comes naturally, no effort required.

I'm with Rick...I'm definitely not "excited" about this season, but I'm not jumping ship and still hoping for some shining moments (ON the field) before the season ends. Even if the season ends the way it started, it'll pick up again...it always does, it's just a matter of time.

Rick's post is one of the best I have ever seen in capturing the North Texas spirit. I agree, and posted a few days ago, that this is a real dogshit season. Now is the time to tighten the chinstrap, jockstrap, and any other strap you may have and not give in to the depression we are all feeling to some extent. It's when you get knocked down and STAY down that you are beaten. Thanks, Rick.

I don't know what our guys hear at halftime, but it's evidently not more inspiring than FFR's message.

The two people that ate crow are probably two of the biggest North Texas fans that you will ever meet. They have both been through the good times and bad and will be around rain or shine, win or lose. How do I know this? I was one of them... and while it was more having fun than anything, I have been told that it motivated the team and they used it as motivation. Hell, Coach Dickey himself told me that he thought it was hilarious and that if only we could have 15K more fans that felt that passionately about Mean Green football we would never have a problem with support again. I don't want to eat corw again, but if someone throws down that gauntlet and is still at the games and still supporting the team - I would consider them to be a good fan, not a bad fan as you infer.