Nt Daily Comes Out Against Stadium

UNTflyer

First off, there is nothing to get over, I'm asking a question. Second, I'm not referring to the editorial, I know what the hell an editorial is. I'm asking about the school newspaper in general.

What do you want the paper to do? They are not perfect but they have been pretty fair and neutral regarding this athletics fee vote. They will have editorials for and against the stadium. I do not know why the Daily is always ridiculed by people on this board.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, there is nothing to get over, I'm asking a question. Second, I'm not referring to the editorial, I know what the hell an editorial is. I'm asking about the school newspaper in general.

Absolutely, it is their right to voice an opinion in an editorial. I am disappointed by the total lack of vision. This lack of vision has been the biggest thing holding North Texas back. I hope students will see the bigger, long-term picture and vote in their (and our best interest) by supporting a project that has a significant impact on our image as a university.

Also... better that this comes out than nothing. Then, you can't get opponents saying their platform wasn't given a fair chance. As I recall, the idea that the student's rights were being circumvented was as big or bigger than the actual subject of the vote. Anything perceived as political maneuvering can really polarize an otherwise apathetic student base.

Absolutely, it is their right to voice an opinion in an editorial. I am disappointed by the total lack of vision. This lack of vision has been the biggest thing holding North Texas back. I hope students will see the bigger, long-term picture and vote in their (and our best interest) by supporting a project that has a significant impact on our image as a university.

Agree. Some of the coments make me realize that one must open their eyes and their minds in order to see the big picture. 20 years of life experiences wouldn't hurt either.

My favorite quote:

"Never let the ignorance of others blind your vision for the future" Dr.B

Yes their lack of vision sucks but it did not start with them...years years years years and years of bad vision has has created that mindset and culture at UNT. And not EVERYBODY has this vision. You will always have people with different vision and thoughts that you may or may not like but thats just the way it is. Do you really think everybody at UT or OU love athletics and sports? Absolutely not...but athletics and the administrations are so strong and in support of athletics is that they dont need any pissant vote to pretty much decide the fate of the football program and athletics.

Edited by Green Mean

First, just so you know what the situation is:

1) Fouts has a limited lifespan left, even with patchwork upkeeps RV said six to eight more years tops. Renovation is not cost effective nor possible.

2) The I-35E expansion will move the frontage road to within ~20 feet of the Fouts front gate, thus no parking or entry out front if it's even able to remain there.

3) Then where we will play? Denton ISD stadium? Capacity 12K. SMU? Ha. New Cowboy's stadium in Arlington?

4) As others have mentioned, the student fees will allow for bonding out the stadium (to be paid off like a mortgage). In the meantime, revenue from donors (public phase, most MGC members and University supporters have not been asked for a stadium donation yet), sponsors and advertising signage (large revenue whether you acknowledge it or not) will contribute to the payoff, estimated at half the cost.

It is NOT practical nor possible to keep Fouts. Sorry, but that's the main answer in a nutshell.

Student fee cannot pay for all of it. I understand the mortgage comparison, but it still has to be paid, and the donations will have to be used for that. Why do donors have to be asked? And also, stop somebody from the athletic department and ask where to send your donation for the stadium. Even if they are asked, there just is not that kind of money in the donor ranks of North Texas. We have 2 one million dollar gifts over the past five years, but now it seems that many think these kind of donations are just start flowing in. The only arenas in the DFW with corporate sponsors are Resistol Arena in Mesquite, AA Center in Dallas, and Pizza Hut Park in Frisco. Texas Stadium, not even in the 90's and one of the top 2 most valuable sports franchises plays there. What about the new stadium? Oh that's right, no. And the Ballpark in Arlington does not have one. Yet, many think some corporation is going to sponsor us. Why hasn't a corporation picked up Ford Stadium or Amon Carter in Ft. Worth? Houston, Rice, Baylor, TX, & AM don't have sponsors. AT&T has picked up Jones in Lubbock. Until we have a much higher profile program, billboards will be a much better deal. And while all this money is paying for the stadium, what about the underfunded program playing on its field? One way or another, Dodge has probably 5 years if he gets the stadium and another 2 if not. How are we going to afford a coach (i.e. June Jones at 1 million a year) and the type of staff he will want to bring.

There is my opinion in a nutshell. Sorry we disagree.

you do not know what your talkign about...not trying to be mean, but when i took the 1st stadium tour with RV a few weeks ago...he told the group thier is several companies in the running for the $30 million corporate sponsership but he doesnt wanna go that way if we can get enough alumni donations....but thier are companies willing to put up the money...and they will if we need them.

I know you were not trying to be mean, and you will see that I do know what I am talking about. We may be in a new stadium, but it won't resemble anything like they are putting out, no way. Rick is a good salesman. Did he tell you about his ocean front property in Arizona that he is going to sell and donate the money to the stadium fund? Really, think about it, the stock market is down over 30%, and there are companies lined up to give 30 million dollars? I'm sorry, no way.

I know you were not trying to be mean, and you will see that I do know what I am talking about. We may be in a new stadium, but it won't resemble anything like they are putting out, no way. Rick is a good salesman. Did he tell you about his ocean front property in Arizona that he is going to sell and donate the money to the stadium fund? Really, think about it, the stock market is down over 30%, and there are companies lined up to give 30 million dollars? I'm sorry, no way.

not just 1 company but 3 companies lined up....im sure RV wouldn't lie to us... <_<

Why do donors have to be asked?

Why do students have to be asked? Because there are not enough donors to fund the facility within the time it will be needed by. There will be no new stadium if this fee does not pass. There is no need for them asking us yet until it is viable. If you want to see this program without this fee, just look at UTA.

Why do students have to be asked? Because there are not enough donors to fund the facility within the time it will be needed by. There will be no new stadium if this fee does not pass. There is no need for them asking us yet until it is viable. If you want to see this program without this fee, just look at UTA.

And NT80, there is no guarantee there will be a stadium if the fee passes. The regents would be stupid to not know that where the money will be to pay the bonds. I just don't think that the attitude of donors and potential donors is going to change as quick as you believe. Even Rick says the donors will have to put in their half, and there are going to have to be several more than generous donations to make the stadium a reality. That is what I am apprehensive about. I respect your opinion, and I will agree to disagree. GMG, lets take care of business tomorrow, we need a win and we can agree on that.

there is no guarantee there will be a stadium if the fee passes. The regents would be stupid to not know that where the money will be to pay the bonds. I just don't think that the attitude of donors and potential donors is going to change as quick as you believe. Even Rick says the donors will have to put in their half, and there are going to have to be several more than generous donations to make the stadium a reality. That is what I am apprehensive about.

The new Athletic Center was bonded out and paid for in about 4 years without having to ask us minor donors for a cent. If RV has a plan to build a new stadium, even with our help, then I think he will. Just vote yes and then relax!

The new Athletic Center was bonded out and paid for in about 4 years without having to ask us minor donors for a cent. If RV has a plan to build a new stadium, even with our help, then I think he will. Just vote yes and then relax!

NT80, the North Texas Tollway Authority is holding an emergency meeting on Monday because they need to raise $220 million through bonds to complete 121. They are concerned because it very difficult to get financing with bonds at this time, and it is not likely to change anytime soon. But, heck, they just need to look north to Denton. No, no recession here and the credit is just flowing. As for the athletic center, it was a sweetheart deal. As first class as it is , we owned most of the land and got a heck of a deal from Liberty on the rest. Most of those facilities were there, we just upgraded them. Now think about it, if would have had to go over and buy the land at today's market price (land around here has not dropped in value much) as well as construct all of the facilities, it would have been a challenge for this program. It certainly would not have been paid off in 4 years, and any donor breathing would have had to be asked for a donation. We were lucky!

Edited by Green Dozer

Guest GrayEagleOne

I don't know how much of RV's statement is truthful; it could be partly exaggerated. But, think! If we go through all of this hell and nothing is lined up exactly where does that get us? He would be exposed as a total liar and it would make it twice as hard to get donors.

If you have noticed there is a new head of Athletics Development. There was also a statement alluding to a fund-raising firm in Colorado soliciting sponsorships. It was stated awhile back that there had been $6 million in pledges/donations. In the past, we have not advanced beyond the silent phase until a substantial portion of what we are seeking has been raised. You see? There is smoke, smoke, smoke, and smoke. Is it possible that there's a little fire somewhere?

Edited by GrayEagleOne