Josh Howard Strikes Again

Here we go again with another Josh Howard "brain lapse"! Time for this guy to move on out of Dallas. he is a disgrace to the Mavericks, to himself and to the NBA. Seems in July he was filmed disrespecting the national anthem in a big way. Paper reports that he said "The Star-Spangled Banner is going on. I don't celebrate this (expletive). I'm black."

This was caught on tape/video and posted on YouTube....and it comes after his July arrest for street racing, and last season's brillant admission of drug use.

The guy is a clown. He plays a GAME and gets paid tons of $$$$ for doing so...can he not just act like an adult sometime???? Just one more example of an over-paid, under-educated and highly spoiled professional athlete shooting his mouth off! GOOD GRIEF!

And, what is the Maverick'sresponse? Classic...they are going to hold "communication training" during the pre-season training camp. Yep, that will do it...great response! You go Mavs! That will do it for sure!

Here we go again with another Josh Howard "brain lapse"! Time for this guy to move on out of Dallas. he is a disgrace to the Mavericks, to himself and to the NBA. Seems in July he was filmed disrespecting the national anthem in a big way. Paper reports that he said "The Star-Spangled Banner is going on. I don't celebrate this (expletive). I'm black."

This was caught on tape/video and posted on YouTube....and it comes after his July arrest for street racing, and last season's brillant admission of drug use.

The guy is a clown. He plays a GAME and gets paid tons of $$$$ for doing so...can he not just act like an adult sometime???? Just one more example of an over-paid, under-educated and highly spoiled professional athlete shooting his mouth off! GOOD GRIEF!

And, what is the Maverick'sresponse? Classic...they are going to hold "communication training" during the pre-season training camp. Yep, that will do it...great response! You go Mavs! That will do it for sure!

Interesting that Carmelo quickly moved away from Howard, and later turned the camera on himself shouting "I love my country! I love my country!" Looks like he was not "down" with Howard's jackassery.

EDIT: I was wrong about "Carmelo". The video was by a 'rapper' named Los, according to Jennifer F. Engel in FWST.

Edited by LongJim

In Cubans defense what can he really say other than be diplomatic right now? I think its certain that at some point the Mavs will get rid of or trade Howard because he still has skills. He's just turned really nutty in the last year or so. I really hope he can get things together and get all his ducks in a row cuz he has hell of a talent in my opinion.

Cuban could say that he and the Mavs disagree totally with his comments, that they were disrespectful on so very many levels and that his comments in no way are reflective of the views of the Mavericks and its ownership. That would, at least, be a start.

I agree. As far as his illegal activities, that's plenty of reason to distance themselves from him. However, if he's unpatriotic (and stupid), then maybe he shouldn't have been on the team that represented the country he seems to have such disdain for.

Regardless, his stupidity and lack of patriotism aren't reason to get rid of him...though breaking the law certainly is. Basing your decisions (as a GM, owner, etc) on an athlete's public statements, no matter how idiotic, is equally stupid (unless they are in some way being a detriment to team morale, etc).

So unless his teammates say his attitude and statements are disruptive, let him play...but if he breaks the law AGAIN, maybe it's time to move on, as it likely was one of the first two times.

If teams and leagues have such problems with these guys breaking the law, maybe they need to rethink the wording of their contracts.

Guest JohnDenver

So, the public image of a player has absolutely no impact on a professional sports franchise????? Just wondering?

It really isn't a firm rule. Cowboys have some thugs.. Broncos have had thugs.. without complaints. When the Raiders have them though, they get lambasted.

Anybody can be patriotic, or choose not to be. My personal belief is that if he hates America and the millions it has allowed him to acquire, he should leave.

I'm not saying the public image has nothing to do with the franchise...I'm just saying that if that's the case, they should distance themselves from him over illegal activities, not over personal beliefs/statements/preferences.

Tho I disagree with what he said in the video, he is free to say whatever he likes. It is his beliefs so let it be. Like it or not he is a millionaire not necessarily only because this country gave it to him...its because he is talented at what he does and he earned it. If he does something illegal then afourse thats something bad but in this case he has his own personal beliefs so let it be. It is the first ammendment.

Tho I disagree with what he said in the video, he is free to say whatever he likes. It is his beliefs so let it be. Like it or not he is a millionaire not necessarily only because this country gave it to him...its because he is talented at what he does and he earned it. If he does something illegal then afourse thats something bad but in this case he has his own personal beliefs so let it be. It is the first ammendment.

You have the right to say it, but it does not negate the personal idiocy you manifest when you say it. Klansmen or Black Panthers have the right to disparage their opposite race, but it does not mean nobody else has the right to express disagreement.

You have the right to say it, but it does not negate the personal idiocy you manifest when you say it. Klansmen or Black Panthers have the right to disparage their opposite race, but it does not mean nobody else has the right to express disagreement.

Oh I agree. Again I disagree with his remarks and the guy is a complete moron for doing it.

Cuban made his point quite well I would say...now, what about Howard? I guess he will be the summa cum laude graduate from this season's Mav training camp's "communications school". Way to go Mark....that's looking at the real issue here and getting right to the point of it!