Unt Passing Game Passe

Brett Vito

K-State is only one game out of 12......and...... for those with green glasses, 13.

I did not give too much chance of a UNT win but thought if we could cover the spread it would be a victory.

Don't worry, Coach Dodge will get things on track offensively and Coach Deloach will get things done defensively. Coach D will have a much more difficult time and may take an extra year to get the "D" to where it was under Coach Dickey. Got to admit there is not too much talent on the "D" side of the ball.

Vizza and Co. will only have to do one thing........score more to make up for the lack of, obvious, talent of the "D." For those who want to take a swing at that statement ..... how many PPG did UNT give up defensively last year?.....face it, our "D" needs talent.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Special teams is where improvement is going to have to come to give us a chance.

Amen and amen.

I am concerned about the poor performances by the offense and defense but I firmly believe that we will see improvement, maybe even great improvement, before the season gets too far underway. The reason...the offense has done better in every Dodge-coached game prior to this one, including blowout losses to Oklahoma and Arkansas. I've seen enough of DeLoach's defenses to know that he doesn[t stay down for long. What I've yet to see under Dodge is decent special teams play. We've had poor kickoff and punt returns, blocked field goals and extra points, and poor kickoff and sometimes even punt coverage. We usually start with poor field position and our opponents, while they enjoy a good advantage. Last year we were 113th in kickoff returns. This year we are currently at 93 but only 100 teams have opened their seasons.

I wasn't sure at all about last year. We could have used more speed, better returners and a stronger kicker but it didn't appear that enough time was spent teaching coverage and tackling technique. This year we have a lot more speed and a dozen or so experienced at tackling in the open field. We have a kicker with a stronger leg and can put some sure-handed reterners in the lineup this year. I wonder how much time is spent on special teams practice.

Coach D will have a much more difficult time and may take an extra year to get the "D" to where it was under Coach Dickey. Got to admit there is not too much talent on the "D" side of the ball.

That talent refers not only to kids. Give DeLoach a couple of years to get not only his side of the recruiting, but a couple of other coaches in here, and then we can start talking about the D being back to where it was under DD.

Is TD facing the equivalent defense of what did DD in? Teams started loading the line and challenging NT to win with the passing game and DD never recovered. I didn't see the game but it sounded like KSU played to stop the pass and challenged NT to beat them running the ball and NT couldn't come close.

An offense based on the passing game is anything but passe and that is part of the problem. The spread, run and shoot, etc. are so common now that most defenses have gotten good at countering those offenses. There is little new anymore about TD's offense and it's going to take much better execution then NT had against the Belt last year and KSU to be effective.

Exactly, Grand, which is what I posted IMMEDIATELY after the game. It was obvious they had our number...made me sick. We have been exposed! I give Coach Dodge all the credit in the world for the ability to go back to the drawing board and make some adjustments.

Is TD facing the equivalent defense of what did DD in? Teams started loading the line and challenging NT to win with the passing game and DD never recovered. I didn't see the game but it sounded like KSU played to stop the pass and challenged NT to beat them running the ball and NT couldn't come close.

An offense based on the passing game is anything but passe and that is part of the problem. The spread, run and shoot, etc. are so common now that most defenses have gotten good at countering those offenses. There is little new anymore about TD's offense and it's going to take much better execution then NT had against the Belt last year and KSU to be effective.

They have to start developing a more diverse run game and make sure Cam is the focal point. Draws up the middle 10 times a game only work in 5A. I'm not saying we need to be Air Force or GT, but anything is better than nothing. I've got faith in TD, he definitely tried to run more than I expected vs KSU.

Edited by Got5onIt

They have to start developing a more diverse run game and make sure Cam is the focal point. Draws up the middle 10 times a game only work in 5A. I'm not saying we need to be Air Force or GT, but anything is better than nothing. I've got faith in TD, he definitely tried to run more than I expected vs KSU.

Hopefully, TD is learning that college coaches catch on quickly and if you don't make adjustments you will be shut down. It started happening after the Navy game last year and has continued into this year. To give TD credit, he has made some adjustments. But, it is apparent that he needs to make more.

Ron Price built the K-State game plan around two things. Stop Vizza from making

plays and to shut down Fitzgerald. The K-State defense biltzed on every play, and

their DE's really came hard. Vizza did not have much time to do anything. The

receivers were getting open, but Vizza could not set up to pass. Seems like Vizza

was on the run out of the pocket all game long.

The run game worked because the offense caught K-S in some blitzing packages.

I was impressed with both Mosley and Montgomery. Good tough running!

After the Tulsa coaches finish watching the game film, I would expect Tulsa to

develop their game plan to mirror the K-State game plan.

pas·sé - adj. - 1: past one's prime 2 a: outmoded b: behind the times

I don't believe this for a minute.

The result of an editor trying alliteration and not paying attention to the meaning. It bothers me too, but I've learned I can't expect newspapers or most printed media these days to properly use the English language.