Positives From The Game

H-towngreen

Yes we all like to get on here and talk about what we didn't do right last night. But I think that there are things that happened last night that show that we are improving.

We didn't have any turnovers. We have heard that TD is stressing the turnover margin this off season. Well we were able to win the turnover battle. I believe we recovered a fumble and had a pick, or maybe it was 2 fumbles. Either way +2 NT in turnover margin

I was impressed with the play of our freshman DB's. This is going to be a special group!! Royce Hill got the start, Shorter got a turnover, I heard Williams name called a few times. These kids are going to be something to watch over the next 4 yrs.

Cam showed why is was considered one of the top JUCO RB last year. He was able to break off some decent runs for the Mean Green, and looks as though he might push Mosely for more and more playing time.

The O-line didnt give up a sack and it seems as though they were giving Vizza time to get the ball off. All in all for a group that we werent even sure who would be there until a few weeks ago, this was a good effort against Big 12 talent.

We heard Craig Robertsons name alot. Its good to see him building off of last years performence.

And yes, DeLoach and the entire Defense did a decent job. Keep in mind this is a NFL caliber QB. 6'5 250 lbs who can move and has a cannon for an arm. We were able to get pressure on him several times. There were also many tipped balls. This unit will get better.

Just because they brought in alot of JUCO's doesnt mean this is a bad team. Keep in mind this KSU team took it to UT the last 2 years. Just becuase this wasnt LSU or Oklahoma doesn't mean this still isn't a very very good team.

Edited by H-towngreen

Yes we all like to get on here and talk about what we didn't do right last night. But I think that there are things that happened last night that show that we are improving.

We didn't have any turnovers. We have heard that TD is stressing the turnover margin this off season. Well we were able to win the turnover battle. I believe we recovered a fumble and had a pick, or maybe it was 2 fumbles. Either way +2 NT in turnover margin

I was impressed with the play of our freshman DB's. This is going to be a special group!! Royce Hill got the start, Shorter got a turnover, I heard Williams name called a few times. These kids are going to be something to watch over the next 4 yrs.

Cam showed why is was considered one of the top JUCO RB last year. He was able to break off some decent runs for the Mean Green, and looks as though he might push Mosely for more and more playing time.

The O-line didnt give up a sack and it seems as though they were giving Vizza time to get the ball off. All in all for a group that we werent even sure who would be there until a few weeks ago, this was a good effort against Big 12 talent.

We heard Craig Robertsons name alot. Its good to see him building off of last years performence.

And yes, DeLoach and the entire Defense did a decent job. Keep in mind this is a NFL caliber QB. 6'5 250 lbs who can move and has a cannon for an arm. We were able to get pressure on him several times. There were also many tipped balls. This unit will get better.

Just because they brought in alot of JUCO's doesnt mean this is a bad team. Keep in mind this KSU team took it to UT the last 2 years. Just becuase this wasnt LSU or Oklahoma doesn't mean this still isn't a very very good team.

You're kidding, right? North Texas was pathetic, non competitive. Sad way to start the season! Sorry...my opinion.

Here are some things we can focus on, one we tried hard and two we're still dear friends

But seriously,

Here is a positive, we were 30 points closer on opening day than last year.

Here is another, it was also closer than the last time we played them Sat, Sep 24, 2005 7 - 54 (L)

The lack of offense was THE problem; other phases of the game were improved. We had better be in the film room this morning figuring out how a crummy defensive team a year ago at K-State could pitch a near shutout against our offense. Had it not been for a good defensive play to give us super field position we would likely HAVE been shut out.

We'll have to see how K-State does later in the season. We knew OU was going to be bad last year, but the sheer magnitude of the point spread was indicative that OU was going to be a GREAT team last year on the national stage. Well, what do you know, OU went 10-2 before losing their bowl. Big XII Champs. Not saying that KSU will run the table and go to a January bowl game, but time will soften the blow like it always does. NT lost to a team that should do very well this season.

Edited by Green Buckeye

You are not alone my friend. I do believe the Defense looked somewhat better than last year, but then again, KSU is not OU. The offense on the other hand, was a huge disappointment.

For year two of Dodge ball....just pathetic....where was Vizza when he wasn't overthrowing the ball? I beleive there is some improvement on def but the offense just plain sucks.

For year two of Dodge ball....just pathetic....where was Vizza when he wasn't overthrowing the ball? I beleive there is some improvement on def but the offense just plain sucks.

Were you at the game Houston? If not, let me tell you about the offense, it just didn't click as a unit. Dodge ran some 3 receiver sets and even some two back sets. We are trying to get some ground game and we are also getting extra blocking protection. The QB had at least 4 first down throws flat out dropped which would have kept drives alive. It just never seemed to come together. Actually, the offense looked like it could make plays against a good football team. We were a sack, a drop, and a throw away from making it at least respectable.

DeLoach defense is going to get better, your right there. But the offense is going to get it going as well. You could sense the offense was just off here or there a little bit. Sometimes it was just plain damn good defense and you have to tip your cap.

I don't panic because you could tell the defense and offense never paniced. No turnovers, no bad decisions, no bad busted coverages, the defense was trying to pressure, they gambled on defense with a young team. This ship will sail next week and expect a damn good game.

I love it...

...some have such green glasses on they can't admit the game was an abomination...

...while others are so friggin' jaded, they can't admit that there were some good signs despite the score.

The things that were improvements were great, and all listed in this thread. The Turnover margin and no Interceptions thrown is HUGE. Let's just see what happens this week and as the season gets rolling.

I love it...

...some have such green glasses on they can't admit the game was an abomination...

...while others are so friggin' jaded, they can't admit that there were some good signs despite the score.

The things that were improvements were great, and all listed in this thread. The Turnover margin and no Interceptions thrown is HUGE. Let's just see what happens this week and as the season gets rolling.

AND....you can just about predict who each will be. I'll take my coolaid cold please! :rolleyes:

Listening on the radio, this stood out to me. Our usually super-homer announcers seemed to comment multiple times that Vizza was not 'himself' in this game and was inaccurate. That worries me a little.

Sophmore jinx??? I was hoping this would not happen, but it seems like more times than not it does. May we see Riley out there after the Tulsa game???

Best positive--game is over with no more Big XII teams on the schedule and only one more BCS ass-kicking to take--albeit with a nice check.

Other positives--no turnovers, decent running stats, some young guys got experience, SBC play is only about a month away

Worst negative--Another season-opening ass-whipping that makes general fan/student look at us as an after-thought (again)

Other negatives--The O-line couldn't keep pressure off of Vizza and the rest of the offense just fell flat, defensive line registered little to no pressure

We knew that the lines were going to be troublesome, and when mixed with a BCS team (Greenminer alluded to this often leading up to this game), we all pretty much knew that we would have very little chance of competing. Tulsa, although not BCS, is still very good and will give us trouble because their offenses is great. With very little pressure from the defense, Tulsa will score a lot. The good news, though, is that Tulsa's defense is not great, and we will score some points.

I think that we all get mad when a name team pounds us, but it is what normally happnes to the non-BCS teams on the road--not always, but normally. Lets see where we are when FIU and ULL come to Denton in October. If we are still having problems after that, then there will be cause for worry. Again, if we win 4 games this season (FIU, ULL, WKU, and another somewhere) that will double our wins from last year. Its gonna take awhile. It is just unfortunate that the stadium vote comes during this year. I fear what happens to this program if this vote goes south again.

Edited by untjim1995

Sophmore jinx??? I was hoping this would not happen, but it seems like more times than not it does. May we see Riley out there after the Tulsa game???

I disagree with the announcers: Vizza and Co were 3 dropped passes away from continuing drives and possibly changing the scope of the game.

I only recall one pass where he was uncharacteristically off. Other than that, receivers should take the blame for drops.