My 1 Fear With A Student Referendum

emmitt01

Are you trying to say I don't care about the well-being? or the students? The latter unfortunately is correct in many cases.

No, what I am saying is that there are students that are not interested in what benefits North Texas. They would oppose anything that benefits the university, and many would inflict harm on it if given the opportunity. They do exist and they will be vocal when a referendum is proposed.

That is why North Texas needs strong vocal leadership from it's University President, Student Government Association leaders, and the leaders of campus organizations; dorms, Greek organizations etc.

No, what I am saying is that there are students that are not interested in what benefits North Texas. They would oppose anything that benefits the university, and many would inflict harm on it if given the opportunity. They do exist and they will be vocal when a referendum is proposed.

That is why North Texas needs strong vocal leadership from it's University President, Student Government Association leaders, and the leaders of campus organizations; dorms, Greek organizations etc.

A part of me thinks the administrators and those in leadership realize the problem we have and will make sure we have a new stadium. The other part of me says it is not going to happen. I will admit though, I am a little surprised that if we are so close to this reality of a new stadium, we or least I, as a part of the alumni have heard nothing from the University pertaining to any type of vote or even stadium. I at least get things that are going on in the department where I got my degree. I get things from them all the time about things going on, or even asking for donations. NOTHING pertaining to Athletics. I realize it is not even August yet, but so far, do we even know when the vote will be, and what the increase will be voted on - or is that silent too?

If you guys are so concerned about the vote (maybe you should be) why don't you all re-enroll in the university and sign up for a 1-hour or 3-hour online course? Consider it a donation to the school, and an opportunity to let yourself vote on the issue =)

I like this idea. How many people could we get from the board to do this?

Let's put this student fee deal on a more personal basis. What would it take for you to vote to increase the rate that you pay for electricity at your house? For me, personally, I would have to see a direct correlation between an increase in the electric rate (money out of my pocket) and some direct benefit to me personally. Some kind words about increasing the value of the community in which I live would probably fall on deaf ears in my town. Since the vast majority of students at North Texas do not attend football games, I think those who are proposing this idea of a student vote in increasing the money out of the pocket of the students (or their parents) need to think it through very carefully. If the suggestion was to put a $10 per ticket surcharge on each ticket sold to athletic events in order to build a new football stadium, how would the people who post on this board receive that suggestion? It is close to the same thing. Let's hear your thoughts, please.

Edited by Huff

Let's put this student fee deal on a more personal basis. What would it take for you to vote to increase the rate that you pay for electricity at your house? For me, personally, I would have to see a direct correlation between an increase in the electric rate (money out of my pocket) and some direct benefit to me personally. Some kind words about increasing the value of the community in which I live would probably fall on deaf ears in my town. Since the vast majority of students at North Texas do not attend football games, I think those who are proposing this idea of a student vote in increasing the money out of the pocket of the students (or their parents) need to think it through very carefully. If the suggestion was to put a $10 per ticket surcharge on each ticket sold to athletic events in order to build a new football stadium, how would the people who post on this board receive that suggestion? It is close to the same thing. Let's hear your thoughts, please.

Yes, I would pay a surcharge. But the student fee is a must to get this stadium built.

Yes, I am greatly concerned! I am concerned that the future funding for a new football stadium (and in reality the future viability of the program) falls into the hands of 18-22 year olds voting about it. While us alums have basically no say, unless we have $30 million in our wallet, we must sit by and hope the legislation is phrased just right so it doesn't upset the anti-fans and hope it's enough funding for a real stadium and not just another version of Fouts. Call me concerned? YES~!

If you're asking students and/or their parents to foot the biggest part of this bill, then yes absolutely the students deserve the vote. As Rick mentioned in another thread, it's all about selling the cost/benefit to the students. If you were strapped for cash and being asked to just shell out more money, without a good reason, would you be likely to agree?

If you're asking students and/or their parents to foot the biggest part of this bill, then yes absolutely the students deserve the vote. As Rick mentioned in another thread, it's all about selling the cost/benefit to the students. If you were strapped for cash and being asked to just shell out more money, without a good reason, would you be likely to agree?

Biggest part of the bill? Hardly. An extra what $20 per semester per student? Big deal. Season ticket holders contribute over 3000% of that each semester per person.

I like this idea. How many people could we get from the board to do this?

Unfortunately with the costs of tuition skyrocketing, it would cost most of us about $450 per vote. $25 for an application fee, $425 for a 1 hour course. I plan on taking a course this semester anyway since tuition for faculty/staff is heavily discounted, but $450 is a lot for the average person.

Biggest part of the bill? Hardly. An extra what $20 per semester per student? Big deal. Season ticket holders contribute over 3000% of that each semester per person.

More like an extra $60 a semester, minimum. And when we have 34,000 season ticket holders, then you may have a case. But students as a whole contribute twice as much to the AD budget as the MGC donors.

Unfortunately with the costs of tuition skyrocketing, it would cost most of us about $450 per vote. $25 for an application fee, $425 for a 1 hour course. I plan on taking a course this semester anyway since tuition for faculty/staff is heavily discounted, but $450 is a lot for the average person.

Might as well just write a check and put "Stadium Fund" in the memo.