40 Guests Attended The Mean Green Social

WIFE2HOT4U

TROPHY CLUB, Texas (7/15/08) - The North Texas athletic department hosted one of its first social events of the summer this past weekend at the Trophy Club Country Club. More than 40 guests attended the Mean Green Social to help kick-off the 2008 football season.

Athletic director Rick Villarreal opened the evening with an overview of the athletic department and the recent success of the programs. Head coach Todd Dodge then took the stage and talked about the football program and the upcoming season. Dodge ended the night with questions from the audience which ranged from current players to the new football stadium.

Anyone go?

TROPHY CLUB, Texas (7/15/08) - The North Texas athletic department hosted one of its first social events of the summer this past weekend at the Trophy Club Country Club. More than 40 guests attended the Mean Green Social to help kick-off the 2008 football season.

Athletic director Rick Villarreal opened the evening with an overview of the athletic department and the recent success of the programs. Head coach Todd Dodge then took the stage and talked about the football program and the upcoming season. Dodge ended the night with questions from the audience which ranged from current players to the new football stadium.

Anyone go?

Yes I was there. Someone did ask about the football stadium however, it seemed to me that the question was skirted over a bit because all that was said was "2010". They said that we are looking more solid at our lines, however, we are not deep nor very large......................thats what she said Couldnt resist sorry.

It was a good event but I strongly doubt that there were 40 guests there.

RV addressed our schedule and said that it is picked years in advance and we are just falling into someone elses mistake (my wording).

If you have more questions send me a PM.

RV addressed our schedule and said that it is picked years in advance and we are just falling into someone elses mistake (my wording).

RV has been here for 7+ years now. Every game on this year's schedule was scheduled by him.

RV has been here for 7+ years now. Every game on this year's schedule was scheduled by him.

It is now time for RV to have his feet put to the fire, particularly on the stadium issue. Also it would be nice if we could see some progress regarding the great fundraiser called Chancellor Jackson, because right now the chancellor and AD are a black hole of information or lack there of.

It is now time for RV to have his feet put to the fire, particularly on the stadium issue.

I agree. Yes he has done good things for the ladies programs that sorely needed to be addressed, but for too long has he "skirted" around the issues that regard the revenue sports.

I don't agree. Rick has done an outstanding job with what resources that he has had.

The big problem is that they have had an extremely difficult time fundraising when potential donors fail to see any patern of commitment to athletics from the university.

We need a president that will take a side and actively address the biggest problem that faces the university. She can't change everything herself, but she can certainly assume a leadership role.

I am not disputing he has done one hell of a job, but he and his staff should be selling the program to anyone who will listen, not treating fans like crap at various events that have been reported over the years.

Fundraising is absolutely horrible, so if he can not sell the program to the community and others nerby, why would the University Admins give a commitment until it is clear the AD knows what they are doing. We are floundering in so many areas and it does not appear as if much is getting done outside of many empty promises, such as the quarterly meetings being the main issue.

Best move at Middle Tennessee we ever made was getting rid of our old AD. He was a great football coach, but not AD. Chris Massaro has really put a spark back into our program.

His hire may be the most important ever made at our U (athletics-wise). He is big on getting on sports talk radio, and getting out in the community. I don't think the guy ever sleeps.

He is very down to earth and friendly. But I hear he can "make a grown man cry" inside the athletics building. He accepts nothing but 100% by everyone, or you are gone. He has cleaned house, and gotten rid of many of the "good 'ole boy" hires of years past.

Lastly....our new AD at MT has brought a breath of fresh air to Murfreesboro, and now we feel the sky is the limit. Before, we were just "Liddle Middle" and stuck in mediocrity.

Just my opinion.

Man time sure does fly, I didn't realize he had been here that long. Remember when DD was here and everybody said that his time was past due? At what point is RV's time past due and its time to start looking in a new direction as far as our AD is concerned?

I don't agree. Rick has done an outstanding job with what resources that he has had.

The big problem is that they have had an extremely difficult time fundraising when potential donors fail to see any patern of commitment to athletics from the university.

We need a president that will take a side and actively address the biggest problem that faces the university. She can't change everything herself, but she can certainly assume a leadership role.

How many years has UNT run the university and athletic department like this? 25 years? 30 years? 35 years?

Some things will never change and the potential donors to the university and athletics just fade away, never to return. Sigh.

I know, trust me, I have been following this program for the past quarter century. The futility is evident from the lack of success during the last 60 years.

The same can be said at North Texas where real commitment is avoided. The problem will remain until the university president acknowledges that the biggest problem facing the university really is the biggest problem facing the university. Fix the problem and the symptoms will disappear.

And yes, not having the ability to replace a decrepit 60 year old poorly designed undersized stadium is a symptom of the problem.

Adler,

You keep saying "FIX THE PROBEM," I am curious what you think the problem truly is? Maybe you've told others before, but I have not heard your opinion outright, just "FIX THE PROBLEM." I am interested in your opinion. If you don't want to call anyone out on a public forum PM me.

I went to the Mean Green Lunch at the Trophy Club thing today, it was worth the free lunch but the turnout was pretty pathetic. George Dunham, Johnny Quinn, and Mitch Maher (sp?) were in attendance, but other than that there were probably 5-7 people that weren't affiliated with the university.

That said, the new Mean Green Club position has been filled, and the new guy was there...supposedly his 2nd or 3rd day on the job.

TD answered a few questions about the roster, expectations on next season, and that he's still hoping for a stadium in 2010.

Something is horribly wrong when that is the reaction that a Division 1 program receives at this type of event.

And it can't be blamed on the coaches and Athletic Department, it sounds like they did everything that they could possibly do.

Sending out an email a day or two before the event is not doing everything you can do. They should have announced it 2 months ago and sent weekly email reminders, not only to MGC members but to alumni as well.

This event has been on the athletics web site for around a month and has been posted on GoMeanGreen.com since this thread started on July 7. Every fan on this board knew about the function.

Let's all face facts, the event was a failure because of conditions that are outside the control of the coach, the athletic director, or anyone else without the initials G.B.

The same thing happened during Dr. Hurley's administration. There was a press conference to introduce Matt Simon's replacement at the Denton Sports Extravaganza at the Denton mall. All the athletic department employees were there, about 60 chairs were set out, and there was just me and 1 other fan in attendance (well, there was one other lady but she was only taking advantage of the open seats while her child was shopping in the pet store). The Problem is not new.

Like his predecessors, Dr. Hurley never did anything to address The Problem. It was just easier to look the other way than to even acknowledge it.

So the reason that no one turns out for these things rests on the shoulders of the President? What can she do that would get more people out to these things? And if she is the one that needs to be the one, then what in the heck is RV doing over there?

I'm with Flyer and GMG1999.

I think you have to hold the Athletics Department accountable for promotion and advertising of Athletics Department functions. They put it on the website... when almost nobody is checking the website because neither football nor basketball are actively in season. Someone here on GMG noticed and let everyone know, but only 4 days before the event. The office sent out email invites... The day before.

This is Bataille's fault how?

Now I'm not saying that's all the office did; I have no idea how they marketed this event. From what I've read here, this wasn't an event targeted at die-hard fans, so maybe they did direct mail or some other type of advertising targeted at the folks they did want in attendance. If they achieved their goals, good for them.

But whether you think this event was a success or not, the blame or credit don't belong on Dr. B. It belongs with the people responsible for creating, executing, and promoting the event.

I am sorry if you were confused. I wasn't suggesting that the President should personally contact everyone. I will try to explain in very simplistic terms.

People not supporting North Texas events is not because of a lack of invitations, it's because of a lack of interest. There is very little interest because the athletic product has been so bad for so many decades.

The President of the university is the only person that can assume a leadership position to radically improve the product. If she chooses to lead, she will, but it has been proven time and again that it's easier not to.

Alright, I see your point and I believe I understand, though I am not sure I completely agree with it. Yes she may need to assume more leadership, but if she had a competent person over there in the AD area leading, her job would be much easier.

This event has been on the athletics web site for around a month and has been posted on GoMeanGreen.com since this thread started on July 7. Every fan on this board knew about the function.

True, but not every fan goes to the website, especially in July. And, let's face it... every member of this board is just crazy.

That still means that about 85% of the season tickets holders didn't know about this until 48 hours before it happened. I don't know about anyone else, but I usually have my Friday plans wrapped up by Wednesday.

OH! I've been meaning to tell this story for a couple weeks.

I was traveling over 4th of July weekend and had a layover in Charlotte, NC. I was wearing my standard travel gear - sandals, khaki shorts, my kelly green UNT shirt, and my North Texas visor. As I was finishing my Cinnabon, I heard a voice yell out "Go Mean Green!" I turned and saw some hippie-looking guys standing near a gate, playing their gutairs. One of them pointed at me grinning and said "Denton, Texas!" I walked up and talked to them for a few and found out they are a little touring club band (can't remember the name), and they said Denton is one of their favorite places to play and that one of them became a UNT football fan a few years back.

Say what you will about being a Texas or Florida or Notre Dame fan. When people get excited about seeing a North Texas fan halfway across the country, it's gotta make you smile.

Every fan? Do you really want to go out on that limb? The thread has 1,300 views.

Relying on fans to go to a website to discover your event is a poor marketing scheme that is destined to fail.

Let's all face facts, the event was a failure because of conditions that are outside the control of the coach, the athletic director, or anyone else without the initials G.B.

Laying blame to what looks like a poorly promoted event hosted by the athletic department at the feet of NT President is such a cop-out.

The same thing happened during Dr. Hurley's administration. There was a press conference to introduce Matt Simon's replacement at the Denton Sports Extravaganza at the Denton mall. All the athletic department employees were there, about 60 chairs were set out, and there was just me and 1 other fan in attendance (well, there was one other lady but she was only taking advantage of the open seats while her child was shopping in the pet store). The Problem is not new.

Like his predecessors, Dr. Hurley never did anything to address The Problem. It was just easier to look the other way than to even acknowledge it.