Mean Green Blog - Breaking News --

gangrene

Breaking news -- Wide receiver with UNT offer commits to SMU

If it's true that Dodge only intended to sign one WR for this year's class, how is this "breaking news" and why do we still have offers out to WRs?

Dodge is in the prime of his career. JJ is going to suck pond water when constantly up against Dodge!! Bring it on baby!!

Breaking news -- Wide receiver with UNT offer commits to SMU

If it's true that Dodge only intended to sign one WR for this year's class, how is this "breaking news" and why do we still have offers out to WRs?

I didn't believe nor do I believe now, that our committed WR that we have for this year's class is the only one we are or were recruiting.

We all knew we would be recruiting the same people. That's why we have all been on a tear for winning seasons and a better what? All together kids... Stadium. Maybe even a better conference. Not to make it a stadium thread or conference thread. Sorry.

At times, I think BV has good reporting information, and can write a pretty decent

sports story. Other times, after reading one of his stories, I wonder why in the world

did he have to write the story in a fashion that makes North Texas look second rate?

Bad choice of words, or a cheap shot at North Texas? News is news, good or bad,

but, being the beat writer for NT, one would think BV could be alittle more aware

of how he writes his story about NT.

In this story, why is a kid with a football scholarship offer from NT, then chosses

$MU, considered breaking news? I guess if Rex Burkhead choses Michigan or USC,

Burkhead's choice will be breaking news also?

At times, I think BV has good reporting information, and can write a pretty decent

sports story. Other times, after reading one of his stories, I wonder why in the world

did he have to write the story in a fashion that makes North Texas look second rate?

Bad choice of words, or a cheap shot at North Texas? News is news, good or bad,

but, being the beat writer for NT, one would think BV could be alittle more aware

of how he writes his story about NT.

In this story, why is a kid with a football scholarship offer from NT, then chosses

$MU, considered breaking news? I guess if Rex Burkhead choses Michigan or USC,

Burkhead's choice will be breaking news also?

Like you pointed out, he is the beat writer and is trying to "beat" his competition to the punch, although I don't know who that would be. I also know that is not what beat writer means. Also it's off season, look what we end up talking about on this board sometimes.

Edited by filmerj

I don't know... I think losing a recruit to a school that is ostensibly a rival could be construed as newsworthy. I think Brett's point is that a recruit with offers from two schools within 30 miles of each other choosing one over the other is news. Just like Youri Yenga last year. Likewise, I bet it would be news on the hilltop if they lost a recruit to us.

SMU is in the same position we were in last year. Exciting new coach, new offense, opportunity for WR's and QB's to really get noticed. If you remember, Hawaii had a pair of receivers that amassed a ton of yardage and TD's last year. This is not a big deal. We followed up our exciting first year of Todd Dodge recruiting with a 2-10 record. We're going to take a hit. Plus we're loaded at WR. Not a big deal!

SMU is in the same position we were in last year. Exciting new coach, new offense, opportunity for WR's and QB's to really get noticed. If you remember, Hawaii had a pair of receivers that amassed a ton of yardage and TD's last year. This is not a big deal. We followed up our exciting first year of Todd Dodge recruiting with a 2-10 record. We're going to take a hit. Plus we're loaded at WR. Not a big deal!

Adding on to these thoughts - this is a make or break year for the program. Despite all of Dodge's noise about recruiting the Metroplex, if Jones at SMU and Briles at Baylor have bowl seasons and we faulter again, we're toast in February 2009. We need serious wins this season and for SMU and Baylor to keep losing. As much as some fear Jones at SMU, Briles succeeding at Baylor would be the killer - big conference, bowl game, within easy driving distance of DFW...it will be a big problem if the Bears take off in a big way this year. And, with experienced spread offense players already in the fold from the previous coach, they've got a real shot at doing it.

Our problem is that some folks here focus so much hate on SMU, they don't realize the killshot could come from Waco.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I would add that the success of the new regime in Houston can have an impact as well. I don't know what system they run on offense, but everyone competes for defensive stars.

Statistically, UH had a really good 3-4 defense last year. They are switching to a 4-3 this year, however, so we'll now be competing for similar players.

I believe they will run a balanced offense, which could be to their benefit (TCU as well) in recruiting given the fact that half the state's D-1 programs have gone the spread route.

I do agree with TFLF regarding the state of our program. Briles WILL have success at Baylor. He's innovative on offense and loves speed. Both of UH's big-time playmakers were under-sized, but he still found ways to utilize their blazing speed.

Seems like everyone around us has now switched to a spread offense of some sort which makes our success the that much more urgent. Otherwise, we'll continue to lose recruits not only to SMU, but Tulsa, Baylor, Ok State, and Tech as well.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I didn't believe nor do I believe now, that our committed WR that we have for this year's class is the only one we are or were recruiting.

It says slot receiver, not wide receiver. Mayberry is likely the only slot receiver that we'll take but we'll no doubt find another big receiver for this recruiting class.

Mean ole' Brett. Why can't he just say nice things everyday, all the time? Wish he would have reported that we really didn't want that little punk, or how we were just requiting him in order to trick that gullible JJ into signing him. What a jerk.

I would add that the success of the new regime in Houston can have an impact as well. I don't know what system they run on offense, but everyone competes for defensive stars.

Houston hired one of OU's offensive coordinators, Kevin Sumlin (with Stoops, they can't seem to have just one offensive or defensive coordinator). In turn, he hired Dana Holgorsen, Texas Tech's offensive coordinator. So, they'll run something like what OU had last year - just with more passing. Besides, with Darrell Dickey gone, I didn't think we were recruiting Houston as much as before. And, as running back coach, Sumlin hired Yates head coach Clarence McKinney, a fellow who assisted at Booker T. Washington and North Shore for about ten years down there before taking the Yates job. So, if the Cougars win, Houston will be hard to beat in recruiting players in that area.

On the defensive side of the ball, Sumlin hired former Iowa State defensive coordinator John Skladany. The Cyclones fared pretty well in his 10 years there. They were basically a suck program that had a few good years. The interesting hire for the Cougars was former Dallas Cowboy Jim Jeffcoat for the defensive line. It strikes me as odd that Jeffcoat wold leave the Dallas Cowboys to go coach in college, but...again, here's where a longtime college coach with longtime coaching connections at the highest levels made what will probably be a great hire.

I think Jeffcoat has a son that's a top prospect at one of the Plano schools. Wonder if Houston is on his short list, eh?

Anyway, we're not supposed to worry about Houston. Dodge says he'll build it with Metroplex kids, right?

On the defensive side of the ball, Sumlin hired former Iowa State defensive coordinator John Skladany. The Cyclones fared pretty well in his 10 years there. They were basically a suck program that had a few good years. The interesting hire for the Cougars was former Dallas Cowboy Jim Jeffcoat for the defensive line. It strikes me as odd that Jeffcoat wold leave the Dallas Cowboys to go coach in college, but...again, here's where a longtime college coach with longtime coaching connections at the highest levels made what will probably be a great hire.

I think Jeffcoat has a son that's a top prospect at one of the Plano schools. Wonder if Houston is on his short list, eh?

Yes, Jeffcoat's son, Jackson Jeffcoat (DE, 6'5", 230 lbs. 4.7) is a Junior at Plano West High School. He's listed as a 2010 class player to watch in DCTF. However, according to Rivals, his short list of schools consists of OU, Texas and Texas A&M. No Houston, at least not yet.

Yes, Jeffcoat's son, Jackson Jeffcoat (DE, 6'5", 230 lbs. 4.7) is a Junior at Plano West High School. He's listed as a 2010 class player to watch in DCTF. However, according to Rivals, his short list of schools consists of OU, Texas and Texas A&M.

He is being recruited hard as a BB player by Rick Barnes.

Houston hired one of OU's offensive coordinators, Kevin Sumlin (with Stoops, they can't seem to have just one offensive or defensive coordinator). In turn, he hired Dana Holgorsen, Texas Tech's offensive coordinator. So, they'll run something like what OU had last year - just with more passing. Besides, with Darrell Dickey gone, I didn't think we were recruiting Houston as much as before. And, as running back coach, Sumlin hired Yates head coach Clarence McKinney, a fellow who assisted at Booker T. Washington and North Shore for about ten years down there before taking the Yates job. So, if the Cougars win, Houston will be hard to beat in recruiting players in that area.

Anyway, we're not supposed to worry about Houston. Dodge says he'll build it with Metroplex kids, right?

BTW, yesterday you had a post about Baylor. I went over to their website to see what many of their fans felt about this upcoming year with their new coach. Even the biggest of homer fans felt it would take them awhile to win. As a matter of fact, some outpost (maybe CFN) predicts them to go 2-10 next year--with a win against ISU I believe in conference. Again, not trying to bash here because if they do win big this year and beyond, then we non-BCS AQs are going to be screwed--especailly the TCUs and the Houstons of the area. I just think that SMU's relatively weaker schedule could make June Jones look like a savior very fast--maybe even at the end of this football season. Your point of this needing to be a big year for Dodge will definitely be true if either of those 2 schools starts making noise this year and we don't. I still see us being 4-8, though.