The Drive: Texas State's Campaign To 1-a

Very true. Which is why so many see a correlation between donation levels and progress. As one....ONE time 5 figure donor told me in New Orleans, "People are not going to donate if you can't tell them what it's going to be used for".

Communication with fans and donors...hmm???? Now who's feet does that lie at?

Rick

what would you consider telling them if you did not have anything firm to tell them?

I had forgotten about the old admin building being turned into athletics facilities.....I remember UNT looking for money......then plans changed

just like plans seemed to have changed for the hotel......fortunately UNT has not started to look for money for it....but that is hard to do when you can't tell people what it will be spent on

well we know UNT does not need a cannon because Fire Extinguishing Richard did an excellent job on the current cannons restoration

Well since UNT sucks so bad I guess we should stop hoping things change, I suppose we should all walk through life without any goals. Forget about supporting the school, it's not worth our time anyway... keep your money folks athletics doesn't need it.

Well since UNT sucks so bad I guess we should stop hoping things change, I suppose we should all walk through life without any goals. Forget about supporting the school, it's not worth our time anyway... keep your money folks athletics doesn't need it.

Forget the Trolls. :thumbdown:

so how much will the football stadium cost

how many will it seat

when will ground be broken

how will it be paid for....what percentage donors and what percentage other monies

does UNT have a date to try and raise a students athletics fee.....if so when is it and how much are they looking to raise

what is the time line to finish the tennis center what is the cost

what is the time line for adding baseball

what will it cost

where is the funding coming from

what additional womens sports will need to be added if any

what is the cost for that

funding source

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...p;ATCLID=115275

that link last mentions money in 2004.....4 years ago

we have seen this posted before

http://www.meangreensports.com/pdf7/48475....;DB_OEM_ID=1800

I believe this sent Plummy into a multicolor-font diatribe about how he knew between 2 interstates meant something and it had perfect alignment of Chi which meant the Feng Shui was there to get it done by 2009 like the power point says

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...p;ATCLID=655037

thanks in advance for finally getting answers to some of those questions :P

Thanks for coming on here with your condescending attitude and your "I know everything about NT and you don't" posts. Maybe that is why so many become tired of your posts, like me:

The stadium is said to cost around $60 million and seat between 30,000 and 35,000.

The groundbreaking has not been set as they are still in the silent phase of fundraising.

Not sure about the timeline for the completion of the center court at the tennis center.

A baseball stadium was scheduled to be built by the collegiate summer league team with NT providing the land and maintenance, but the investors fell through. It was to be located just north of the softball stadium. Since then, it has become common knowledge that NT will not start baseball until other more pressing needs are met, such as the new football stadium. I'm sure once these things are taken care of, they will address adding baseball and a women's sport(s) to balance the scholarships.

It is not difficult to find this information or information regarding NT's master plan for the campus. Sorry you don't approve of locating the athletic facilities at Eagle Point, but I, being connected to the university since birth, think this was one of the best decisions ever. You mentioned sharing TWU's golf course with them. Good Lord, have you ever set foot over there? That comment alone tells me all I need to know about the majority of your opinions.

It is not difficult to find this information or information regarding NT's master plan for the campus.

And it's not difficult to find this Job discription from a 2004 BOR meeting, either. And know that I am not posting this and trying to diminish all that RV has accomplished as I know he has moved us further than any of us ever imagined prior to his assignment. I'm simply countering the misinformation posted earlier.

God Bless RV!

Rick

Richard A. Villarreal

XXXX XXXX XXXXX

Denton, TX 76205

(940) 565-2789(office)

(XXX)XXX-XXXX (cell)

PROFESSIONAL

DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS, UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS,

DENTON, TX

APRIL 2004 – PRESENT

Duties:Under the direct supervision of the President of the University,

responsible for overall administration and management supervision of the

University's intercollegiate athletics program, and represent the program at

the Conference and national levels. Specifically required to provide

leadership and serve as the primary spokesperson for the intercollegiate

athletic program; submit recommendations and supporting documentation to

the President and Board of Regents as necessary to make decisions regarding

goals, academics, capital expansion, staffing, budget appropriations, and

other aspects of intercollegiate athletics; implement and communicate Board

directives; establish policies and procedures to ensure compliance with

National Collegiate Athletic Association, Conference, and University of

North Texas rules and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools

regulations and inculcating in both the coaching and administrative staff an

understanding of the importance of these norms; ensure that coaching and

administrative staff actively support the Department and University's joint

commitment to academic achievement which entails helping each studentathlete

to make normal progress in completing his/her degree and to

graduate within a five-year period; oversee the operation of the varsity sports

programs in football and men's basketball through the head coaches;

Coordinate and supervise other sports programs (excluding football

and men's basketball) through designated staff members; oversee all fiscal

and administrative operations through the appropriate staff members;

promulgate budget guidelines and approve final submissions for each area;

monitor conformance to budget and personal expense accounts; oversee the

operations of the Ticket Office and the Business Office through the

appropriate staff members;develop long-range plans to determine need for and

feasibility of constructing or upgrading athletic facilities; lead and coordinate, with the Office of Development, fund-raising efforts to provide

for scholarships, facilities, and equipment; coordinates scheduling for sports events involving Conference participation or revenue contracts; coordinate

and assist on football and men's basketball future scheduling;oversee the Marketing, Communications, and

Media Services Office through the Sr. Associate Athletics Director; directly

supervise Director of Sports Medicine and Director of Strength and

Conditioning in providing services to student-athletes for all intercollegiate

athletics programs; support the

institution's commitment to goals set forth in the Texas Educational

Opportunity Plan and the University's affirmative action plan by taking

appropriate actions within the Athletics Department; establish goals for

Athletics Department, with appropriate University officials, for gender

equity in athletics programs in accordance with Title IX of Office of Civil

Rights Regulations, and take appropriate actions to work toward and to

achieve those goals; provide leadership and oversight of institutional

effectiveness efforts in intercollegiate athletics including the use of

evaluation results and linking results to planning; keeps the Athletics

Council informed as to all significant current actions (both pending and

accomplished), and as to long-range planning for the athletics program;

prepare an annual report for the Athletics Council for each academic year

completed. Report will be presented to the Council at its regular December

meeting, and shall include (but is not limited to) the following: A, a

complete budget for the year ended; B, an analysis of student recruits by

sport and gender (including admissions data and prior academic

performance); C, a report on the academic performance of athletes, by sport

and gender; D, competition performance records for all UNT intercollegiate

varsity sports; E, financial aid information (including, but not limited to: the

number of grants awarded, in-state and out-of-state, by sport, by gender; the

number of grants available, in-state and out-of-state, by sport, by gender;

plans for change in grants; dollar values of grants; and a statement of

financial aid policies). Serves as a member of the President's Staff, working

with the Athletics Council and the Faculty NCAA Representative, and

carrying out such other institutional duties as the President may assign.

Edited by FirefightnRick

Thanks for coming on here with your condescending attitude and your "I know everything about NT and you don't" posts. Maybe that is why so many become tired of your posts, like me:

The stadium is said to cost around $60 million and seat between 30,000 and 35,000.

The groundbreaking has not been set as they are still in the silent phase of fundraising.

Not sure about the timeline for the completion of the center court at the tennis center.

A baseball stadium was scheduled to be built by the collegiate summer league team with NT providing the land and maintenance, but the investors fell through. It was to be located just north of the softball stadium. Since then, it has become common knowledge that NT will not start baseball until other more pressing needs are met, such as the new football stadium. I'm sure once these things are taken care of, they will address adding baseball and a women's sport(s) to balance the scholarships.

It is not difficult to find this information or information regarding NT's master plan for the campus. Sorry you don't approve of locating the athletic facilities at Eagle Point, but I, being connected to the university since birth, think this was one of the best decisions ever. You mentioned sharing TWU's golf course with them. Good Lord, have you ever set foot over there? That comment alone tells me all I need to know about the majority of your opinions.

speaking of condescending

you answered about 2-3 of the questions.....and you answered them with the same "information" that has been passed around this forum for 3 years.....and you offered nothing to support it

the UNT golf course was nothing to brag about.....unless one likes to brag about crappy golf courses.......so sharing with TWU would be no big deal....and the fact is as of now....UNT has NO golf course....crappy or otherwise (not that this is a big deal....but TWU was there to work a deal with)

while you may think moving to Eagle Point was a good idea.....UNT clearly does not have the money to pull it off at this point and UNT has released no clear plan of where the money will come from

the only CLEAR plan I have seen from UNT lacks any specifics on what real goals are for the university.....where the money will come from......and what they will do to get there.....other than one slide on a power point that listed "Tier 1" in 25-30 years

same for athletics.....a 30,000 seat stadium for 60 million is fading fast with todays construction cost.....especially since 99% of the people on this forum do not want an erector set stadium (just wait until UPS starts delivering the erector set boxes)

if the time line for the stadium has not been set.....and the money not raised.....then why is there a plan on the UNT athletics site that says stadium in 2009.......why are recruits being told they will play in a new stadium.....why is the coaches son saying a stadium will be in place by his sophomore year

if UNT has a true "master plan" then why does UNT have no idea what they are going to do with the hotel....as quoted by a UNT official in the DRC.......the hotel lease was for sale for well over a year probably closer to two.....in all that time UNT never found a way to inspect the property and formulate a plan for it before they bought out the lease.....now more than likely this is another thing in the way of what will happen at Eagle Point and with a football stadium

there are several other trashy areas around campus UNT could have and should have purchased for campus expansion....this easily could have been facilitated by dumping the Eagle Point property 3-75years back when real estate was sky high

again no REAL fact based answers from you.....but a great deal more condescension towards someone that expects REAL answers from the leading, low cost university, in the metromess

God I hate feeding the trolls.

develop long-range plans to determine need for and

feasibility of constructing or upgrading athletic facilities; lead and coordinate, with the Office of Development, fund-raising efforts to provide

for scholarships, facilities, and equipment;

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Football Stadium: 30,000 to 35,000 seats for $60 million probably more now due to the increasing costs of fuel, concrete, steel, etc... The funding will come from private donations, a future student fee that is said to be coming this Fall allowing the bonding of the balance. When will it open? I would guess 2010, but that is pure speculation. I don't see how the date can be set in stone, to make you happy, until the funding is secured. I don't know what is going on with the fundraising, etc... and would feel confident that you don't either.

Tennis Center Court: I have no idea and don't see it as a pressing need at this time.

Baseball: Will not be addressed until after the football stadium is built. I would guess this to be around the early 20teen's. Again, they won't put a date on this until the stadium is completed.

Additional women's sports? Not really a pressing need at this time, at least not until the above occurs.

Who really cares if NT has a golf course? The team has access to Robson Ranch and Lantana, both nice courses that are convenient to campus. Without researching the issue, I would guess that most colleges utilize the same practice of having access to local courses. Of course, the UT's, A&M's, Oklahoma State's of the world have courses, but how many with the athletic budget of NT have one? Does TCU? What about SMU?

The point is that there is a vision in place for the future of athletics, something that was lacking from day one. Unfortunately, the most pressing need is the new stadium and the funding for this venture. Nothing else will take place until that is taken care of, so why put a date on baseball, additional women's sports, track and field stadium, center tennis court, etc... until this is taken care of?

Where are the facts to back up your claims? You act like you have access to information that nobody else does on this board. Where is it coming from. Do you have a source in the Athletic Department? Do you have a contact on the Board of Regents? Do you have dinner with Dr. Bataille weekly to discuss the future of NT?

Maybe I was condenscending in my previous post. I'm not too worried considering that was one of my posts where it appears that all of your posts have this tone. Ever thought about taking a different tone? You might not come across so abrasive and people might be more willing to listen. Unfortunately, your "I've got all the facts" attitude is wearing thin.

God I hate feeding the trolls.

Rick

call me a troll as you wish....that just shows your inability to use logic, reason, and fact to prove I am incorrect in my points

""""""develop long-range plans to determine need for and

for scholarships, facilities, and equipment""""""

you have already admitted RV has done more while at UNT than many before him

RV has a long term plan.....it would cost 90 million from the first day he was here......I would say he was about dead on with what the cost would be for UNT to do what they needed to do

RV has got UNT off the title 9 issue

RV has brought in more money than in the past.....probably all the past combined

while there is not a firm plan in place to break down what it will cost and when the remaining goals will be met

RV is not in a position at this time to make such plans......because each time such a plan was made.....and each time some money was about to be raised......RV had the rug pulled from him and UNT made another knee jerk action......and it left RVs plans in taters

like the athletic facility next to fouts.......it was a done deal......ready to raise money.......then the eagle point mistake came along

now with eagle point in the mix.......new plans in place......like baseball......but ops that was pulled from under him.....because people above him said nope no baseball....and the private money went elsewhere

now we see work on the stadium.......but suddenly UNT knee jerks on the hotel deal.......and more plans put on hold until it is resolved

how many times can RV try and sell a project that gets pulled from under him before people just flat give up.......so RV has done the wise thing and sat back and waited.....until an administration stops knee jerking at every turn.....and a long term plan THAT WILL BE AROUND FOR THE LONG TERM can be formulated

as far as facts to back up my claims

fact there is no baseball at UNT

fact there is no new stadium at UNT.....and no real plan of what one will cost or what it will seat from UNT for anyone to see......other than a mention of 2009 on an athletics link (and we know that will not happen)

fact there has been nothing released from UNT on what if any student fee will be leveled for athletics

fact.....we have no idea if that fee will pass or not when presented to the students

fact....UNT has no idea what they will do with the hotel as stated in the DRC by an official from UNT

so no I don't have all the answers....and I know for a fact that UNT has not put these answers for anyone to see....anywhere.....while a number of other schools that started on their plans later than UNT have already accomplished a number of their goals

Edited by CheckFacts

call me a troll as you wish....that just shows your inability to use logic, reason, and fact to prove I am incorrect in my points

Let the above be Exhibit A regarding the tone of your threads. You know everything and we are just mindless, ignorant and illiterate fans of North Texas. Thank goodness you are here to save us.

and each time some money was about to be raised......RV had the rug pulled from him and UNT made another knee jerk action......and it left RVs plans in taters

Please tell me what plan was in place with "money about to be raised," which is a vague statement, that jerked away by the higher ups?

like the athletic facility next to fouts.......it was a done deal......ready to raise money.......then the eagle point mistake came along

Done deal? Really? I seem to recall that the plan was to lower Fouts, which can't be done. I also seem to recall that the Liberty Christian property came available allowing all of the athletic facilities to be put in one place which didn't seem like a bad idea, and other than you, it doesn't appear to be a bad idea. Ready to raise money? Did he have the $90 million secured? Hell, we've been ready to raise money forever. It's easy being ready. I'm ready to make a million dollars every day.

RV is not in a position at this time to make such plans......because each time such a plan was made.....and each time some money was about to be raised......RV had the rug pulled from him
Yet you criticize NT athletics for not having firm dates in your other threads and provide them with an excuse here.

now with eagle point in the mix.......new plans in place......like baseball......but ops that was pulled from under him.....because people above him said nope no baseball....and the private money went elsewhere

Baseball isn't here because of the people above RV creating the funding for the stadium to go elsewhere? Really? If the funding was in place, why haven't the Outlaws built a stadium? Why has their ownership been a mess since day one? Seems to me the ownership of the Outlaws failed on their end of the deal. Without their financial support for the stadium, why should NT dump money in to a new program such as baseball when a football stadium is the greater need?

now we see work on the stadium.......but suddenly UNT knee jerks on the hotel deal.......and more plans put on hold until it is resolved

What work on the stadium? Feasibility studies? Come on, the hotel deal is not stalling the stadium.

Your post is full of opinions. You act like all of this funding was in place yet RV had it pulled away from him. If this is true, where was this money coming from and how much did RV have secured for the above projects?

Look, I agree that RV has done more than any AD in the past and I am appreciative of what he has accomplished. I am also aware of issues coming from his department that reflect poorly on him.

Thanks again for riding in from East Texas and hijacking all of the threads to complain about your opinions of how NT has failed at the hard sciences, teachers that you didn't like so you chose to be disruptive to the class, failed at engineering, etc... No, I don't run around with my head buried in the sand and try to ignore the problems with NT. NT, like any university, has problems that need to be corrected, but it is my university and many others on this board that take offense to you showing up and degrading damn near everything about the school. It's a free country and you have the right to your opinion just like I have the right to ask you, "Why, if you are so unhappy at NT and have all the answers to right NT's wrongs, why are you in school here?"

A. it is not difficult to come off as having a "tone of voice" when dealing with someone that uses "troll" as their arguement....and even less difficult to have that "tone" to someone that supports the troll accuser

especially in light of the fact that the troll accuser is the same person that went to the non-UNT sports forum and pulled a thread about TxState and their PUBLISHED athletic goals and reposted it in the UNT football forum....as if he expected people to react with "man I hope TxState gets it done so they can move into the belt"......or possibly....."man TxState is really moving forward with a firm plan supported by athletics and the university and the students.....that will be really peachy, green, keen if UNT ever does that"

B. the plan to use the existing building next to Fouts for athletics was published by UNT.....and it was done long after everyone knew Fouts would not be used in its original location....and UNT had a cost estimate published and was about to raise money.....then the eagle point fiasco came along

and the Liberty Christian property......served as a hold up to UNT because they were late moving out

C. again long after it was known UNT would not keep Fouts.....a plan was developed......had cost estimates done......and was ready to raise funds to use the existing facility near Fouts as a practice facility and weight room ect.

Al Hurley stood right there when RV said he was going to raise 90 million from day one......hurley knew it would not happen under his watch.......but he allowed RV to extend himself.....that is poor administration

D. you seem to believe that UNT athletics functions like possibly only 10 athletics departments in the USA function (if even that)......RV can develop every possible plan under the sun........but unlike Deloss Dodds and possibly 9 other ADs in the USA........RV can not on his own pick up the phone and start calling major donors and tell them this is the plan we are going to go with and I need X dollars.....RV must wait on the university administration to tell him what they will allow him to fund......what he can raise funds for.......who he can call......and when it will happen

no AD in the USA can tell a university president that we are going to implement a student fee......even RV....an administration must do that

RV can set a date for a football stadium, baseball, or any other project......but if he is not allowed to raise the money to fund it.....or set a date to start a student fee......there is little use in RV setting a date for anything.....because he knows the money is not there

E. UNT had plans for baseball long before the outlaws came along.....which means UNT knew they would need a stadium long before the outlaws came along.....while the outlaws deal would have been nice.....in the end it only served as another hold for UNT......I think it should have been clear that the outlaws were shakey financially from the very start and there is probably way too much pro baseball currently in the metroplex......why would UNt want to start a deal with a team that would compete with UNT for fans.....and for the "people of Denton"

even after it was clear the outlaws deal was dead....UNT rode it out for another year while the outlaws played out of Denton

it has been mentioned on this forum a number of times with sources provided that RV had the Goldfields set to fund baseball at UNT.......but the trigger was not pulled.....I do not know 100% why it was not allowed to happen......but I suspect I know why as does anyone else that has watched UNT in action.......I know it was not because RV just declined to take the money or in some way upset the Goldfields

while there are issues that could reflect poorly on RV.....I stand by the idea that he is the best UNT could have in his position at this time

and I stand by the idea that poor planning at the university level has allowed RV to be hung out to dry by the administration....and the administration being OK with that

F. I did not ride in from East Texas....I had lived in Dallas just prior to going to UNT....and just before that in Dripping Springs.....and just before that in Austin proper

I was not disruptive in any class I was in......I was just not captivated by her lack of organization and her ability to repeat what I had learned in previous classes

I have not degraded everything about UNT....I have degraded an administration with no clear vision of where the university will go in Academics and Athletics and I have pointed to a number of UNT sites to back those claims.....as well as news sites and stories that can be EASILY verified by contacting a number of professors on campus or the ABET

you have chosen to try and discredit them with nothing...

I left UNT a number of years back....I still live in Texas and pay taxes....so my concerns are with all public higher education in Texas....and since I was a student at UNT....I have concerns with it specifically

Edited by CheckFacts

Mistake? You'd rather have Fouts and that old printer warehouse as an Athletic Center now rather than 200+ acres dedicated to new athletic facilities? :bangin:

Edited by NT80

Mistake? You'd rather have Fouts and that old printer warehouse as an Athletic Center now rather than 200+ acres dedicated to new athletic facilities? :bangin:

yes when UNT still has Fouts now....and no idea where to get the money to do anything with the Eagle Point Campus

there is no space shortage anywhere on UNTs campus as far as where to place new buildings. at 50,000 an acre UNT would have had close to 10 million to work with on their existing acreage or to acquire new land (like crappy areas of cement city)

just because Eagle Point is some big space means nothing to me.....when the land could have been sold and better use made of the money and existing land and UNT would have had a much nicer more cohesive campus with much more functional facilities

yes when UNT still has Fouts now....and no idea where to get the money to do anything with the Eagle Point Campus

there is no space shortage anywhere on UNTs campus as far as where to place new buildings. at 50,000 an acre UNT would have had close to 10 million to work with on their existing acreage or to acquire new land (like crappy areas of cement city)

just because Eagle Point is some big space means nothing to me.....when the land could have been sold and better use made of the money and existing land and UNT would have had a much nicer more cohesive campus with much more functional facilities

there is no way that without Eagle Point, NT could be a 45K student university that has been mandated by TEHB.

You say we should have sold Eagle Point and bought Cement City to bulldoze it down? Do you realize the cost to tear down structures? Besides, there are other, just as crummy areas around UNT, what about those? Your idea would have bankrupt UNT.

You say we should have sold Eagle Point and bought Cement City to bulldoze it down? Do you realize the cost to tear down structures? Besides, there are other, just as crummy areas around UNT, what about those? Your idea would have bankrupt UNT.

th_44503_unt2d_122_54lo.JPG

hardly a concept that would "bankrupt" UNT.....unless UNT is much worse off than I imagine

the football stadium might be a bit small, but even if it was 25% larger there is plenty of room. there is a baseball field and a "softball" field which happens to be as big as a baseball field. there is also UNTs existing tennis courts

there is plenty of room to add another facility the size of the pit and still have room for a large parking garage and practice fields. done properly there would possibly be room for the tennis courts not being in cement city. UNT already owns a small portion of the land where I placed the tennis facility and the remainder is probably the crappiest apartments in Denton so it would hardly break even the poorest run university to acquire them and knock them down

with someone using anything besides Paint and putting in more than 15-20 minutes there is probably even better layouts

but it is clear there is plenty of room for SMUs football stadium, two of TCUs baseball stadiums, practice fields, and parking on the property east of I-35....and probably room for the tennis without cement city....but cement city sucks so might as well start the move on it before someone else slips something of quality in the way