Smut Scrimmage Draws 3,500

NT80

April 5, 2008

DALLAS (SMU) - Before a crowd of almost 3,500, the SMU football team wrapped up its spring practice with an open scrimmage on Saturday, April 5, at Gerald J. Ford Stadium. The crowd, which included almost 250 high school prospects, watched an hour of practice and roughly 40 plays of 11-on-11.

After a spectacular session of 7-on-7 drills that featured multiple long TD passes to an assortment of receivers, the 11-on-11 portion showcased the short passing game. Quarterbacks Logan Turner and Daniel Miller were both accurate, with Turner finishing 10 for 14 and Miller going 5 of 6. Running back DeMyron Martin also looked strong, bursting out with a 19-yard run.

"I think it showed that we still have a bit to learn, but it was nice to get out here and let the kids show some of what we've been working on," said Head Coach June Jones. He added, "As far as the short passes in the drills, we'll throw enough long ones this fall."

The session, which was streamed live over the internet, will be archived on SMUMustangs.com.

I know many on this board have an obsession with SMU, but why is this topic on the MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL FORUM?

Because they are local rivals of sorts, we are in recruiting competition with SMU. It is about spring football.

Why are you whining about it?

Why are you whining about it?

Not whining!!! Just curious why this post is on a MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL FORUM when they are not on any forseeable schedule and they do not matter to NT football at this time.

Well it sounds like whining to me, and if you are interested in pointing out other questionable threads please try the "Texas" and "Southern Miss" threads also. Then you can win the "hall monitor badge of the day" award!

Thank you for caring!

Not whining!!! Just curious why this post is on a MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL FORUM when they are not on any forseeable schedule and they do not matter to NT football at this time.

They will be on our schedule again (10 game series) if things go as planned. We compete with them for local media, unattached fans, and now recruits to a spread offense. What happens there does affect NT football to a degree, like it or not.

We do have a lot of posts about SMU.

And what exactly do they hurt? Is anyone's life made any better/worse because somebody posted something about SMU's spring game? Yeah, mine either.

They are a rival and it's always good to know what they are up to. But even though they occasionally bash us on their board I can't help but notice we obsess a bit more about them than they do us.

Guest GrayEagleOne

We sure give a lot of lip service to a university with whom might occasionally compete for a recruit and are not scheduled to play again.

God help us if we ever need their vote for conference acceptance.

Guest 97and03

Like it or not.. we are rivals.... we compete for media attention, fans, and recruits.... even if we do not play on the field.

I am afraid I am calling bullshit on that. A rivalry, like the tango, requires a partner. If SMU does not view us as a rival, then it is not a rivalry. I have no evidence that they do so.

We are, as your post infers, competitors. We compete for recruits, dollars, media attention, etc. TCU and SMU are rivals. They have been playing each other for decades and even have some gay skillet or something they play for. I think the loser has to cook the winner an omlette after the game. Point being that just because some UNT people and some SMU people don't particularly care for each other and the two schools play once in a while, it does not mean there is a rivalry between UNT and SMU.

Period.

Though I do think it would be great if a rivalry was developed.

Edited by 97and03

I am afraid I am calling bullshit on that. A rivalry, like the tango, requires a partner. If SMU does not view us as a rival, then it is not a rivalry. I have no evidence that they do so.

We are, as your post infers, competitors. We compete for recruits, dollars, media attention, etc. TCU and SMU are rivals. They have been playing each other for decades and even have some gay skillet or something they play for. I think the loser has to cook the winner an omlette after the game. Point being that just because some UNT people and some SMU people don't particularly care for each other and the two schools play once in a while, it does not mean there is a rivalry between UNT and SMU.

Period.

Though I do think it would be great if a rivalry was developed.

Yes you are absolutely right. You are always competing with schools when it comes to recruits, publicity, money etc but it doesnt mean its a rivalry. I cant say who our true rival is but it needs to be someone in the sunbelt for Pete's sake.

i think we can draw more then 3,500 for our scrimmage :) :) :)

I do think it's interesting that with all the supposed buzz about a new $2m coach, new wide open offense, etc and all they manage to pull is 3500.

(Opposed to UNT and last years' new coach buzz drawing over 5000 for it's spring game. )

Does anybody still think the Dallas or the metroplex is embracing the new & improved SMU because of it's new high profile coach?

Edited by Baby Arm!