Observations From The Scrimmage

SUMG

Just some of my thoughts:

1) We have several walk-on players who looked really good out there. Some that come to mind are: Justin Flowers, a DB, and Greg Brown, a WR. Those are just two that stood out to me.

2) Roderick Johnson was starting at WR. Also, starting were Sam Roberson and Casey Fitzgerald. (We have a lot of depth at wide receiver.)

3) The defense is vastly improved. We don't have much depth---only 4 guys at DT. It looked like they had Charley Brown playing DT, instead of DE (probably because of the lack of depth).

4) Kris Lott is getting a lot of reps at WR. He's running either first or second team.

5) Jeremy Knott nailed a 43 yard field goal, and had 10 yards extra to spare (in distance).

6) Giovanni looked pretty good---has some nice throws. But, Nathan Tune and Matt Phillips also looked good.

NOTE: I was only there for about an hour....so some other guys may have done well...after I left.

7) The aforementioned Greg Brown made a nice TD catch on a pass from Matt Phillips.

8) Cam Montgomery had a nice 20 yard (or so) TD run. Also, Keronna Henderson, a former fullback....was getting carries as a TB. He had a nice 15 yard (or so) run. Micah Moseley is still running first team.....and looked good as well.

I think Joseph Miller is going to be a great DT this year. We need desperately though to get Isaac Thomas and Draylen Ross back. Eddrick Gilmore had some nice plays at DE.

I'd say that there were at least 100-150 people out there.

Anyone can add to my thoughts....or correct anything which I have wrong.

Also, it was fun sitting with guys like Green Grenade, Old Timer, Emmitt, NT80, Shaft, Illuvius and Medpilot. We had a lively group out there.

john

Edited by SUMG

This was the first practice/scrimmage I've attended since the opening day of spring ball. I came away from that one impressed with Cam, and he stole the show again. I've been on his bandwagon since the day he arrived, but I think this might just be the year that he explodes. With the turmoil that might be our o-line, at-least early in the year, I think Cam needs to be the primary back with Mosley coming in as the scat back change-up. It just seems like Cam's better suited at shedding tacklers and picking up defenders in the backfield, which is going to be a premium attribute until that line gets settled. He really flashed the jets on that first TD run.

Edited by Green P1

I was there today........ Matt Phillips first TD was to Walk- on Chase Baine and it was a heck of a catch. He connected with Baine for another TD his second series. I thought Matt look good out there and his SR. leadership is very obvious on special teams.

I saw some good things today both on the O and the D.

I was there today........ Matt Phillips first TD was to Walk- on Chase Baine and it was a heck of a catch. He connected with Baine for another TD his second series. I thought Matt look good out there and his SR. leadership is very obvious on special teams.

I saw some good things today both on the O and the D.

I think there were two guys wearing #24....and we couldn't figure out which one it was. So, if you say it's Baine....I'll take your word for it.

One more thing: I noticed that former UNT player Kevin Adkisson was in the crowd. He was talking to another player from that era...Rex Glendenning.

Anyway...Adkisson went on to fame and fortune, after his UNT days: He became wrestling superstar Kevin Von Erich.

Greg Brown is #84

Chase Baine is #24

I'm glad I printed the roster today.........many new faces out there. I saw a few in the crowd (like me) looking up numbers and putting names to them !!!

I saw Kevin there also.......(Man he came all the way from Hawaii to be watch today.) What an Alum!!!!

Edited by saysojoe

Greg Brown is #84

Chase Baine is #24

I'm glad I printed the roster today.........many new faces out there. I saw a few in the crowd (like me) looking up numbers and putting names to them !!!

I saw Kevin there also.......(Man he came all the way from Hawaii to be watch today.) What an Alum!!!!

The other #24...was Jake Brown....a DB (transfer from TTech). I now remember our confusion: There were two #24s (Brown and Baine)....and the reason we weren't sure, which was which...is that they were both listed as DBs.

Anyway, since you say it's Baine....he's a freshman from Lake Dallas. Man, he made a nice catch on that first TD. I didn't see the second one.

Edited by SUMG

One more thing: I noticed that former UNT player Kevin Adkisson was in the crowd. He was talking to another player from that era...Rex Glendenning.

Anyway...Adkisson went on to fame and fortune, after his UNT days: He became wrestling superstar Kevin Von Erich.

I don't suppose he was wearing a trench coat was he?

On thought I'd like to add about Danny Meager, Nathan Tune and Matt Phillips:

I appreciate the fact that all three of these guys have stuck with our program. They could have quit or transferred...but have stayed with the Mean Green. And quite frankly...you never know when we might need them. So, thanks guys.

On thought I'd like to add about Danny Meager, Nathan Tune and Matt Phillips:

I appreciate the fact that all three of these guys have stuck with our program. They could have quit or transferred...but have stayed with the Mean Green. And quite frankly...you never know when we might need them. So, thanks guys.

If any of them wants to be a coach they couldn't be at a better place.

Edited by MCMLXXX

Meager played...look over at the blog on meangreensports.com. I got to my room a few minutes ago, and was able to read about the scrimmage from that.

Great service from the boys at meangreensports.com. Thanks.

(Ian, can you believe we are communicating by gmg.com?)...love, dad

When you have the third team offensive on the field, who are these offensive linemen being that the team is real thin on the offensive line due to injuries?

When you have the third team offensive on the field, who are these offensive linemen being that the team is real thin on the offensive line due to injuries?

With Kelvin Drake, Chad Rose, Matt Mennard and Matt Tomlinson out with injuries, there were only ten healthy offensive lineman that played in the scrimmage. The back ups were Jack Krumes, Zachary Highfill, Bradley Davidson, Troy Kokjohn and Jacob Kaiser.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Mosley is a great back, but one thing he isn't is a scat.

Unless something has changed from last year...

That is true but a 5 yard average is hard to beat. He doesn't have blazing speed but he does start quickly and seldom ever loses yardage.

I like the variety of running backs that we will have this fall.

That is true but a 5 yard average is hard to beat. He doesn't have blazing speed but he does start quickly and seldom ever loses yardage.

I like the variety of running backs that we will have this fall.

Just because he's white doesn't mean he lacks blazing speed. He's one of the fastest players on the squad :ph34r:

Has Cam done any recieving out of the backfield in practice or the scrimmage ? MM showed good hands last year and could be a very good 3rd down back

Edited by NT03