Why Was Unt Not Represented?

Guest 97and03

Guest 97and03

As I watched the Texas A$M alumni group wheel past me at the St. Patrick's Day parade on Greenville Ave this last Saturday, the thought came to me: "Why isn't UNT here?" It seemed to be that a parade and party centered around wearing green would be the perfect spot for a large group of Mean Green shirted maniacs. I think we would have fit in a lot better than the old Maroon fellows from East Texas...

So maybe the university isn't too keen on having an official presence at such an obviously sloppy drunk event. Ok, I guess I can see that. Though if UNT is so against partying, maybe they should cancel tailgating and the Mean Green Village and get rid of our beer sponsors. So maybe there is not a good reason for UNT to not be involved officially.

But even without an official presence, wouldn't this be a great event for the NT Exes to participate in annually. What is the figure? One hundred thousand alumns in DFW? Something like that. Sure they can scare up 25 exes to ride in a decorated trailer, throwing out green beads with UNT materials. Right? Maybe even football schedules if they are available. Or 2-for-1 ticket offers for next season. Something. Anything.

I know there are active Exes members on this board (I am not one and I know I need to be). Can someone run this up the flagpole and see if anyone in the Exes heirarchy salutes? I really think this would be a great way to promote UNT and its athletics.

And it is fun.

As I watched the Texas A$M alumni group wheel past me at the St. Patrick's Day parade on Greenville Ave this last Saturday, the thought came to me: "Why isn't UNT here?" It seemed to be that a parade and party centered around wearing green would be the perfect spot for a large group of Mean Green shirted maniacs. I think we would have fit in a lot better than the old Maroon fellows from East Texas...

So maybe the university isn't too keen on having an official presence at such an obviously sloppy drunk event. Ok, I guess I can see that. Though if UNT is so against partying, maybe they should cancel tailgating and the Mean Green Village and get rid of our beer sponsors. So maybe there is not a good reason for UNT to not be involved officially.

But even without an official presence, wouldn't this be a great event for the NT Exes to participate in annually. What is the figure? One hundred thousand alumns in DFW? Something like that. Sure they can scare up 25 exes to ride in a decorated trailer, throwing out green beads with UNT materials. Right? Maybe even football schedules if they are available. Or 2-for-1 ticket offers for next season. Something. Anything.

I know there are active Exes members on this board (I am not one and I know I need to be). Can someone run this up the flagpole and see if anyone in the Exes heirarchy salutes? I really think this would be a great way to promote UNT and its athletics.

And it is fun.

Along with the above, they could also promote the spring game.

--Interesting Idea... My kids (UNT grads) took part in a 5-K run associated with it. It seems lke a great opportunity since the official color of St Pats is Green anyway. Cheap way to advertise and get some needed publicity. I would stay away from stressing or portraying us a party school. Just be careful with the presentation. .

Guest 97and03

well generally speaking, most Aggies are super-proud of where they went to school.

Feel free to read between the lines.

Well I wore a North Texas shirt and got beads from other UNT people that were in the parade for other things.

Well I wore a North Texas shirt and got beads from other UNT people that were in the parade for other things.

thats great! My point is simply, I doubt A&M had anything to do with that group assembling and representing their school. It was probably their own initiative. They don't need the school to set up an event to show school pride.

thats great! My point is simply, I doubt A&M had anything to do with that group assembling and representing their school. It was probably their own initiative. They don't need the school to set up an event to show school pride.

SMU was also represented in the parade and seemed to be at an "official" level. They threw out Pony Up baseball caps and t-shirts and also gave away June Jones t-shirts as well. Our group caught a few and just like an opposing teams home run ball we threw them back at them.

Guest 97and03

Well that is why I also suggested the NT Exes do this.

Show some dignity, man. Remember- attention isn't love. :)

Said the blogger...

SMU was also represented in the parade and seemed to be at an "official" level. They threw out Pony Up baseball caps and t-shirts and also gave away June Jones t-shirts as well. Our group caught a few and just like an opposing teams home run ball we threw them back at them.

The Richards Group had their testament to their best work up at Northpark mall this weekend. Sadly, "Pony Up" campaign materials were nowhere to be seen.

Well that is why I also suggested the NT Exes do this.

That would take someone who cares about the Universoty. I left NT in 1992 and contacted the Exes about membership at-least once a year for a decade. To this date, I have received NOTHING, NADDA, ZIP, THE BIG GOOSE EGG. It would have to be a group of alums that really care and are proud they attended NT, not a group of wanna-be fans that join a club, so they can say they've joined.

The NT Exes should disband. It would be the first positive thing they have done.

Brett Tulloss (So I can't be accused of hiding behind an internet screen name)

Well then maybe the exes chapter in Dallas should have been involved, but UNT is 40 miles away, their efforst should first be focused on their surrounding community, Denton and other area towns. And from reading other threads, sounds like there's still plenty of work to do up there.

Guest 97and03

Well then maybe the exes chapter in Dallas should have been involved, but UNT is 40 miles away, their efforst should first be focused on their surrounding community, Denton and other area towns. And from reading other threads, sounds like there's still plenty of work to do up there.

Ok please tell me that the NT Exes Denton chapter has a float in the UNT Homecoming Parade at least.

Sounds to me that this would perhaps be a great opportunity for the gomeangreen.com(munity)!

Since he brought it up, I nominate 97&03 to be the chair of the decorations committee!

Some Cray Paper & streamers, a pick-up, a trailer and a cooler of Irish Soda Pops and were in business...

I would be willing to pitch in some scratch to get this thing done!!!

This thread is indicadive of a lot of UNT's problems. Instead of asking why UNT or the Exes, or somebody, anybody else didn't do something; we never ask why I didn't do something. Instead of making suggestions on how others can improve UNT situation, why aren't WE taking action to improve it?

There are some who put forth the effort and do WAY more than their share already. But there are way to many more who sit and condemn the lack of initiative or action but don't put forth the effort themselves.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,

But in ourselves..."

My $0.02

This thread is indicadive of a lot of UNT's problems. Instead of asking why UNT or the Exes, or somebody, anybody else didn't do something; we never ask why I didn't do something. Instead of making suggestions on how others can improve UNT situation, why aren't WE taking action to improve it?

There are some who put forth the effort and do WAY more than their share already. But there are way to many more who sit and condemn the lack of initiative or action but don't put forth the effort themselves.

But in ourselves..."

My $0.02

Way to point that out!

Just kidding you are correct, I hate puffing floats, but if some feels they can organize such a project they can count me in to help. If located somewhere that takes me 30 minutes or less to get to you can have my elbow grease, if more then that I can send some money.

Baby Arm i agree! And, I will right now begin contacting UNT officials about a parade float next year at the parade. We can't be left out on "Green" Day. I have contacts in the float business and would love to take on the project. I know many of you would help!

Rick Herold

Director of Parks and Recreation

City of Grand Prairie

Ok please tell me that the NT Exes Denton chapter has a float in the UNT Homecoming Parade at least.

not sure why I have to do that. My post was merely saying, UNT should focus on getting surrounding communities and the 100k person town in which the university is located involved before worrying about St Pattys parades on Greenville Avenue. And just so we're clear, Im not saying the two are mutually exclusive, rather it is the UNT-Dallas exes should be on that.

I was just talking to my wife on Monday that UNT should OWN St. Patrick's Day. We should have adopted it as a quazi North Texas Party Day a long time ago.

While we're on the subject of parades, I know that Fort Worth has a night time Christmas Parade every year the day after Thanksgiving. I've seen lots of High Schools and occasionally TCU is represented as well. Everyone decorates floats in twinkle lights. I think a group of us should get a float in that parade for North Texas? Or we could convince the band to be there since we have a home game the next day this year?

Guest 97and03

But in ourselves..."

My $0.02

I understand your put-up-or-shut up mentality. I was asking why the Exes don't do this type of thing because that is exactly the type of things that an alumni association does. I should not have to organize a parade entry when there is an organization designed to represent the university. That is why there was a Texas A&M alumni group in the parade. I know there are active Exes on the board, so I wanted to throw out the idea. It seems it would be much more efficient for the alumni association to organize this type of event rather than an individual.

That being said, if it comes down to it we can rent a trailer and slap it on the back of my family's pick-up. I will help pay for it, decorate it, and get drunk and throw beads out of the back of it. I am not driving it though. :)

Edited by 97and03

I agree with the "put up or shut up" comments...it gets a bit "old and tiring" hearing folks talk about "someone else" getting out and doing something. If you are a grad of UNT..why don't you join the Exes and get involved? If a float in the St. Pat's Day parade is "your thing", and you think the Exes should be involved...volunteer your time and talent and organizational skills and money raising talents and get it on! First, be sure and join the Exes. It might make your voice a little easier to hear if you are at least a member!

I know you would get some volunteers to help...there arte plenty on GMG.com who have lots of opinions...i am sure they will want to actually step up and volunteer. Lots of Exes in Dallas...get involved with the Dallas Chapter and make it the Chapter's signature event. It's green...it would be great! Join up...then volunteer...then go for it! Sounds like a great idea!

Guest 97and03

I agree with the "put up or shut up" comments...it gets a bit "old and tiring" hearing folks talk about "someone else" getting out and doing something. If you are a grad of UNT..why don't you join the Exes and get involved? If a float in the St. Pat's Day parade is "your thing", and you think the Exes should be involved...volunteer your time and talent and organizational skills and money raising talents and get it on! First, be sure and join the Exes. It might make your voice a little easier to hear if you are at least a member!

I know you would get some volunteers to help...there arte plenty on GMG.com who have lots of opinions...i am sure they will want to actually step up and volunteer. Lots of Exes in Dallas...get involved with the Dallas Chapter and make it the Chapter's signature event. It's green...it would be great! Join up...then volunteer...then go for it! Sounds like a great idea!

As I said I would be happy to be involved in that effort. I was just rather dismayed and disappointed that the organization that exists to promote UNT and its alumni wasn't already involved.

You are completely accurate when you say that if I want it to happen then I should just make it happen. I will attempt to do this through the NT Exes for next year's parade. If there is interest, it will happen. If not, then it won't. And I hope that the Exes will also look for other opportunities to get the UNT and NT Exes name out there.