Why Was Unt Not Represented?

Guest 97and03

You should really take a look...what you want is already happening...and has been for some time now.....WELCOME ABOARD...the Exes will certainly welcome and appreciate your active participation. It takes lots of folks who are willing to give of their time, talent and $$$$$ to make it happen. Glad to have you.....WELCOME!

All it takes is time, $$$$ and talent. It can happen....talk to the Exes and see if you can't vaolunteer to be part of an active Dallas Chapter and get a float going for next year's parade. I am 100% sure you will find lots of Dallas area Exes who are willing to give their time and talent to help. It would be great fun...have you looked into the costs and registration guidelines? You might want to start there as things can get a bit more complicated than they first seem when you think something is a good idea for someone else to do. Trust me on that...I wanted to organize a St. Pat's 5K run on the campus (official route, USTF certified, etc.) to raise scholarship dollars...worked for several months and spent a couple of hundred bucks of my personal $$$$ checking eveything out...just to find too many barriers...I am still convinced such an event can happen...I'll just have to work on it a bit longer to bring it to reality...By the way...the Denton Exes were happy to help sponsor and work the event!

Good luck with that parade .... I think it's a great idea.....grab some volunteers willing to actually work and go for it. GREAT FUN...GREAT IDEA!

Right, it does take $$$$$. And because we don't put up the $$$$, we try and make ourselves feel better, by taking shots at those that are pro-active. NT is the THIRD largest school in the state of Texas right? What excuse do we really have? It's time to stop with the "poor us" attitudes, and crying about people "that look down their noses" at us. With the THIRD largest alumni base in Texas, what REAL excuses do we have for still being in the situation we are in? It's time for NT alums and administration, to step up to the plate!

I think we could easily come up with $300. 2008 Greenville Ave Parade Info

St Patrick's Day Parade information:

A St. Patrick's Day Parade float application form is on page 3 in this Newsletter and available on line at www.greenvilleavenue.org: Please fill it out and return it today. Remember, by joining GAABA now, you can reduce your St. Patrick's Day Parade float application fee from $600 to just $150, (there is a $50 late fee after March 3rd). So, by joining GAABA with your $150 annual membership fee, you will save $300. Applications are also posted on the Dallas Observer web site at www.dallasobserver.com. If you have any questions call John Brumit @ 214-874-7500 for more information.

I guess I missed the post...did the person who asked about an Exes Float in the homeciomming parade see the parade last year???? I did the Exes were represented! It is not for the Denton Chapter to put a float together for the parade...it is for the "Exes" to put a float together...the Denton Chapter will certainly help with time and talent....do I see a show of hands of others who will help?????

As I watched the Texas A$M alumni group wheel past me at the St. Patrick's Day parade on Greenville Ave this last Saturday, the thought came to me: "Why isn't UNT here?" It seemed to be that a parade and party centered around wearing green would be the perfect spot for a large group of Mean Green shirted maniacs. I think we would have fit in a lot better than the old Maroon fellows from East Texas...

So maybe the university isn't too keen on having an official presence at such an obviously sloppy drunk event. Ok, I guess I can see that. Though if UNT is so against partying, maybe they should cancel tailgating and the Mean Green Village and get rid of our beer sponsors. So maybe there is not a good reason for UNT to not be involved officially.

But even without an official presence, wouldn't this be a great event for the NT Exes to participate in annually. What is the figure? One hundred thousand alumns in DFW? Something like that. Sure they can scare up 25 exes to ride in a decorated trailer, throwing out green beads with UNT materials. Right? Maybe even football schedules if they are available. Or 2-for-1 ticket offers for next season. Something. Anything.

I know there are active Exes members on this board (I am not one and I know I need to be). Can someone run this up the flagpole and see if anyone in the Exes heirarchy salutes? I really think this would be a great way to promote UNT and its athletics.

And it is fun.

I've been on the road all week so I missed a lot of this and I'm a bit slow to respond but frankly, I would expect nobody or not enough folks from the Exes board new or thought about this event early enough to put it together. That's where local eyes and ears always help out. I would love to have UNT represented at an even that should be ours. It's GREEN DAY for goodness sakes!! The Dallas chapter can use this as a benchmark event next year. We have a new Director or Special Events, Rob McKinney, and this is right up his alley. Being a UNT alum and living in Denton (as most the staff do) he probably didn't know the event was going on. Couple spot comments, YES, the Denton Chapter of the Exes Alumni organization and the Exes Alumni were represented in the homecoming parade with a float. Actually have been for at least the last 8 years. The Exes Alumni organization belongs to every UNT and former UNT student as well as friends that want to promote the 3rd largest univerestiy in Texas and promote higher education. I get a little tiered of folks setting back and playing arm chair quarterback instead of getting in the game themselves. The Exes Alumni organization could use everyone's help to get involved, make things happen, and promote UNT! More later!

GreenExes...all I can say is AMEN TO THAT! Well said and jusdt what I have been trying to say in several recent posts...the EXES Assoc. "belongs" to all the Exes...but, to make it better, to make it grow, to be seen...you have to join and you have to get involved...not just sit back and armchair QB or second guess with bad or no information.

GO MEAN GREEN...JOIN THE EXES...JOIN THE MEAN GREEN CLUB.....GET INVOLVED...you will meet some great members of the Mean Green nation, it's a great way to network for business and a great way to support YOUR university!

Guest GrayEagleOne

Why is this on the football board? Was any other football team represented in the parade?

Privately, if the exes sanction and sponsor a float or a contingent to be in a parade I think that's fine but I don't think that the university (or its football team) should officially take part in the parade.

Why is this on the football board? Was any other football team represented in the parade?

Privately, if the exes sanction and sponsor a float or a contingent to be in a parade I think that's fine but I don't think that the university (or its football team) should officially take part in the parade.

Parade - Saint Patrick's day - Irish - Notre Dame - Navy - North Texas Football. HA

How about a spontaneous parade, like in that recent fast food commercial? The dozen of you wishing NT was there can tape green and white streamers and stuff all over your vehicles and slowly drive down Greenville (or 75 just before the rush hours), while blaring your Green Brigade CDs like urban youths. You'll get a lot more eyes on you than if you were one of thousands of green-clad folk in a St. Patrick's Day parade.