Dodge Talks About The Spring With Fwst

flyeater

Good to know Drake is fixing the ankle problem now and not waiting it out, which is what it sounds like he tried. Wonder what the big "story" with his surgery is, as Vito promised earlier. I have seen a "misdiagnosis" alleged on here. Hope someone's not sorry for that later (actually, I kinda hope they are).

Looks like Johnson may be on a fast track at center in case Drake is slow to heal. No Chad Rose, OL might be thin in spring. I predict Joseph Miller will kick some ass.

Why is Phillips getting all the so called "confidential" info? If Vito is the beat reporter, why is he getting beat (no pun intended) to the stories of all these guys leaving, Drake needing surgery, the hiring of the new assistants, etc.?

More information comes from this blog and another blog before it hits Vito's computer?

I guess, its possible, that Vito is spread too thin.

-DE Tye Rexrode will forgo his final year of eligibility and not return by his choice, Dodge said.

I've always followed the progress of this Bobcat from "out Cypress Creek Road". He was a high school quarterback that was recruited to play linebacker, moved to defensive end, and could never quite reach his potential because of injuries. I wish him nothing but the best and hope he stays involved with the program.

Why is Phillips getting all the so called "confidential" info? If Vito is the beat reporter, why is he getting beat (no pun intended) to the stories of all these guys leaving, Drake needing surgery, the hiring of the new assistants, etc.?

More information comes from this blog and another blog before it hits Vito's computer?

I think Vito had Drake/Thomas first. Looks like a cat-and-mouse thing with the two papers...you get some, I get some, punch, counterpunch. Still doesn't explain why Vito is having to troll around for "sources" on stuff, and Phillips can go straight to the big man himself. Nice to have them fighting over us. They both have their pluses and minuses.

Possibly Phillips knew TD & during his SLC days & has a longer term reporter/coach relationship ?

Losing CR for the spring along with Drake really makes this spring interesting. Both worked impressively well last year. Remember the problems we first had with the snaps and how they worked through that? Now both guys are out till summer. Of course, what do I know. I'm into disrespecting fat, ugly offensive linemen these days.

Sorry OGG, talk to the hand!!!!!!.

FirefightnRick: Nov 13, 2007

Chad Rose played Guard instead of Bailey, and during certain packages Victor Gill played Tight End. Together this O line played amazing and gave GV time all afternoon long.

During the off week Rose practiced at the Center position while Drake nursed his high ankle sprain. Then moved over to guard last week.

Chad Rose has been a very solid Mean Green player for this program. Even though he's not starting he's done everything asked of him on the field, all while working on his masters. Talk about someone taking advantage of their opportunities in life. He will be a great represenative of this university as an alumnus and letterman when he's done after this season.

Rick

Rick

I have always liked Charlie Brown. Tremendous athlete that needs

to be on the field. Came to NT as a TE. Mean Green Pop always said,

"Throw the ball to Charlie, and he will do the rest!" Looks like to me,

Charlie just keeps growing and growing. The last I read about Charlie

he was up to about 250-260lb range last year. If Charlie keeps growing

like he has, he may be up to 280 now, entering his junior year.

Tough kid, and a natural at football. Charlie can be a very good

DE or DT, or even TE.

QUOTE(KBJ @ Jan 29 2008, 06:59 PM)

Forget about Ross, Rexrode,Scoggins and maybe Owussu-Heming and Gilmore

So are you saying that Philipps missed it w/ regard to Scoggins?

Joseph Miller and Jonathan Stewart are the spring first-teamers, with redshirt freshmen Jesse DeSoto and Jordan Scoggins right behind

Chad Rose is just one of those players that any team needs. He seems to be able to play anywhere on the interior OL and is a solid individual. He was my daughter's Mean Green Buddy a couple of years ago so I am slightly biased, but he has always impressed me as a person and a team player.

Edited by GreenTiger

Coach Dodge and his staff have been on quest to rebuild the whole

North Texas football program. The rebuilding is going to take time, so

any "new" problems that come up will be addressed, including personell

and position changes.

As far as DT, I am looking forward to see Jesse Desoto, listed at 6-2, 275,

and Jordan Scoggins, listed at 6-1, 274 during the spring. Both of these SO's

to be, have been weight training for a year now, so I would guess both just

may be in the 295-300lb range now. Not too bad for DT's! Add in C Brown,

D Ross, and who know who else, I believe the DT position will have quality

players and depth to go along with the starters.

For center, J.J. Johnson, a true shot gun center, listed at 6-2, 278, I would

say he is in the 290-300lb range right now. Plus, Nick Leppo, another true

shotgun center is 6-2, 285, out of HS. I do believe the center position will

have good depth too, to help Drake and Rose down the road.

Someone mention that Tyler Bailey is now 6-2, 295. This guy will turn

out to be a very good OG. I wonder how Matt Tomlinson is doing.

As a true freshman, 6-5, 270, he has had a full year of weight training.

I bet he is in the 285-295 range now.

The OL and DL is progressing IMHO.

I read on another thread somewhere that spring practices are closed, is this true? I would like to make my way up there and catch them if they are open to the public.

They were closed last season. Now if you like looking through a chain link fence it can be done though. Brett Vito will be standing right next to you too. <_<

They were closed last season. Now if you like looking through a chain link fence it can be done though. Brett Vito will be standing right next to you too. <_<

I think spring practice was open last year, except for a scrimmage or two, but I don't remember. It's fall camp that's definitely closed. This ran Feb. 5 on starteleegram blog:

UNT spring practice dates

North Texas is scheduled to start spring football practice on March 6, the first of 15 workouts including scrimmages and the April 12 Spring Game at 2 p.m. at Fouts Field. The schedule is as follows, with most times pending:

Week 1: March 6, 7

Week 2: March 10, 11, 13

Week 3: Spring Break, no workouts

Week 4: March 25, 27, 28 (scrimmage)

Week 5: March 31; April 1, 2, 4 (scrimmage)

Week 6: April 8, 10, 12 (Spring Game)

For now, it appears the March 28 and April 4 scrimmages will be closed to the public, but no official word yet.

--Troy Phillips

Edited by flyeater

So why would these other kids be leaving the program? Ross, Scroggings inside would be huge losses. Gilmore is All conference caliber. So once again, why aren't these guys coming back?

Every year we lose players of varying degrees of talent because of grades, homesickness, issues with playing time, issues with motivation, etc. All teams do. I do not have any inside info, but it seems that nautique and kbj do and the names above are the rumored candidates to be leaving the team for whatever reason.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Every year we lose players of varying degrees of talent because of grades, homesickness, issues with playing time, issues with motivation, etc. All teams do. I do not have any inside info, but it seems that nautique and kbj do and the names above are the rumored candidates to be leaving the team for whatever reason.

I can't speak to nautique but KBJ is one of those constant complainers. His only positive posts were in support of Meager at QB. He is highly critical of Coach Dodge and calls him "God" in a derogatory manner. The only one of his five that has left so far is Rexrode and that could almost have been predicted by many of us due to his history of injuries.

Nautique it too new to get a read on anything except to say that his posts have been completely negative. He was right on Drake but I understood af first that he was leaving; not just that he wouldn't be available for spring.

Ross could also be a possibility. I'm curious as to why he's not listed as one of the defensive tackle backups. He had gotten his weight up in the 280s and should've challenged Stewart. He played in only one game last year. I don't know if it's injuries, academics, talent, burnout, lack of PT, or some other reason but he doesn't seem to be responding as he should.

I hold no credence in the other three that he predicted to leave. Owusu-Hemengs played in 11 games last year while Gilmore played in 9. Gilmore is lauded as an all-conference caliber player and a near lock for a starting job this fall. Owusu-Hemeng got plenty of game experience and both should be factors in this year's rotation. I just believe that if either was upset with the coaching staff that he wouldn't have been given the PT. Scoggins was recruited by Dodge and was given a redshirt year due to the presence of Stevenson, Ike Thomas and Miller. He should be on the second unit this coming year and likely the first unit in the years to follow.

IMO there could still be another few Dickey recruits that may opt to leave but I have doubts that any are on the first two units.

One other thing, I've attended scores of North Texas practices but, in most cases, there wasn't a fence for separation. I can understand Dodge's decision to keep spectators behind the fence. A hundred fans standing on the sidelines would be very distracting, especially when this staff is still in the teaching mode. However, I do think that he should allow reporters Vito, Phillips and one designated by GMG.com access to the field. Maybe Todd will relent on that after the first successful year (hopefully this next).

For center, J.J. Johnson, a true shot gun center, listed at 6-2, 278, I would

say he is in the 290-300lb range right now. Plus, Nick Leppo, another true

shotgun center is 6-2, 285, out of HS. I do believe the center position will

have good depth too, to help Drake and Rose down the road.

Someone mention that Tyler Bailey is now 6-2, 295. This guy will turn

out to be a very good OG. I wonder how Matt Tomlinson is doing.

As a true freshman, 6-5, 270, he has had a full year of weight training.

I bet he is in the 285-295 range now.

The OL and DL is progressing IMHO.

Big Matt Tomlinson is a shot gun snapper as well, in case the need arises.

Injuries and some guys leaving is thinning the spring competition up some at several positions. We are extremely thin a RB as well. QB competition will be thick but the WR deal is going to be something else. A ton of depth and some talent at WR. I believe Fentriss is the only missing scholly player who will miss the spring at WR.

Let's just hope for no more injuries or players leaving, regardless of the reason.