Miami Buyout

MCMLXXX

Let's beg Jerry for use of Texas Stadium or the City of Irving and play Ark. State closer to the inner city school athletes who might come out to the game and just more fans in general may come on a Wednesday night. Might get some TV coverage as well considering it might be one of the few college games on that night before Thanksgiving.

Someone who knows RV ought to see if this is even possible.

Guest GrayEagleOne

" ... $100,000 ahead on the deal, and that's before travel costs are taken into consideration."

So basically we did all that rearranging to get $100.000?

But, had Mami been able to find a suitable opponent, we'd have picked up and extra 1/4 million total.

February 12, 2008

UNT will pay $150,000 buyout to Miami

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal confirmed on Tuesday that the school will pay Miami a $150,000 fee for backing out of a contract to play a non-conference football game this fall.

Of course that isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. UNT took Miami off its schedule to travel to LSU, which offered a healthy $700,000 to move the game the teams were supposed to play in 2009 up a year. UNT's contract with Miami was for $450,000. UNT will still come out $100,000 ahead on the deal, and that's before travel costs are taken into consideration.

UNT could have avoided the fee if Miami could have filled the date with a suitable opponent, but the Hurricanes ended up filling the date with Charleston Southern, an NCAA Football Championship Subdivision team.

UNT was supposed to open the season at LSU, but will now face Kansas State in its first game before traveling to LSU for its third game of the year.

In other news, Villarreal said UNT is still slated to play Arkansas State on the dreaded Thanksgiving Day weekend, which is a real turkey of a date for a school like UNT. A lot of students will be out of town for the holiday.

Im not sure we really did come out ahead. Sure, we've got an extra 100k, but instead of playing at Miami for their inaugural game, which would likely be highly publicized, we're going to Manhattan, Kansas for a routine Big 12 opponent. Maybe I'm alone? Personally I would have much preferred being a part of that history. Then we could have been the last team to play a regular season game in the Orange Bowl and the first to break in the new one.

Of course, this is easier said in hind-site, as we had no way of knowing they would be unable to find a suitable opponent. Im just sick of LSU.

Edited by Eagle1855

I don't know about all of you, but I would do a lot of rearranging for $100k. But that's just me.

I am behind playing KSU to open. At least we have a chance at them. They have been pretty mediocre lately, and, depending on how well the coaching staff can do in the off season, this may be a competitive game.

I don't know about all of you, but I would do a lot of rearranging for $100k. But that's just me.

I am behind playing KSU to open. At least we have a chance at them. They have been pretty mediocre lately, and, depending on how well the coaching staff can do in the off season, this may be a competitive game.

I'm not sure KSU represents much easier a challenge than Miami. Both teams ended the season in terrifically awful fashion, losing 5 of their last 6. KSU, however, did show a little something in games against Kansas and blowing out Texas on the road. Plus KSU returns a lot of their players, including their beast of a QB. And who is to say we couldnt have worked out a way to play both KSU AND Miami?

Edited by Eagle1855

I'll bet the travel cost to Miami is less than the travel cost to LSU plus $150,000!

The point is we would still have to pay to travel to Miami. So even in the two trips cost the same with this deal we come out 100k ahead. Odds are travel to Baton Rouge is cheaper than Miami so we actually come out even farther ahead.

I do agree I'd rather play Miami than LSU. Miami is down currently so it would be more a more winnable game but in the quest for a new stadium every extra penny counts and 100k is a 100k.

Let's beg Jerry for use of Texas Stadium or the City of Irving and play Ark. State closer to the inner city school athletes who might come out to the game and just more fans in general may come on a Wednesday night. Might get some TV coverage as well considering it might be one of the few college games on that night before Thanksgiving.

Someone who knows RV ought to see if this is even possible.

Again, no, no, no! I was at each of the "home" games we played at Texas Stadium from about 1995-98 (?), and none of them were home games. Each time we were vastly outnumbered by our opposing fans, there was very little college game atmosphere (although Army was pretty cool), and overall it felt like an away game. The opposing fans and media really like to lay into that too, when you claim such a travesty is a "home game." When we generally only play 5 home games a year, it's pretty lame to give one of those away. Say what you want about Fouts, at least it's a home game when we play there.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm not sure KSU represents much easier a challenge than Miami. Both teams ended the season in terrifically awful fashion, losing 5 of their last 6. KSU, however, did show a little something in games against Kansas and blowing out Texas on the road. Plus KSU returns a lot of their players, including their beast of a QB. And who is to say we couldnt have worked out a way to play both KSU AND Miami?

You wouldn't know that K-State returned much of anyone since they signed 32 prospects to LOIs, including at least 17 JUCOs. If they have that many to infuse into their system, I'd rather catch them in the first game, rather than the third (wasn't that the way that it was originally scheduled?).

To 93-98, I saw every game at Texas Stadium and I don't remember our being outnumbered there, including our top "home" game attendance with A&M, more than 45,000. I can see where regularly scheduled games there would be a problem unlees you ran shuttles from Denton but based on what I've seen lately, if Jerry would make us his usual deal, it might not hurt to try.

The point is we would still have to pay to travel to Miami. So even in the two trips cost the same with this deal we come out 100k ahead. Odds are travel to Baton Rouge is cheaper than Miami so we actually come out even farther ahead.

I do agree I'd rather play Miami than LSU. Miami is down currently so it would be more a more winnable game but in the quest for a new stadium every extra penny counts and 100k is a 100k.

Do you really think guarantee money from road football games is in anyway going to be used for a new stadium? If so, I have some property I would like to sell you.

Do you really think guarantee money from road football games is in anyway going to be used for a new stadium? If so, I have some property I would like to sell you.

Money in the pot is, .... money in the pot. Maybe it won't be used for a new stadium but it will relieve the pressure of some expense, somewhere, which may lead to money being freed for the new stadium eventually. I know, I'm an eternal optimist!

Your right if some one buys me lunch I don't really make any money and it doesn't put me any closer to buying a new house. But every penny I don't have to spend is money in the bank. Does road game money go to the new stadium fund no but it does go in to the athletic departments operating budget and any money in program can only help our cause. So where's this property your talking about.

To 93-98, I saw every game at Texas Stadium and I don't remember our being outnumbered there, including our top "home" game attendance with A&M, more than 45,000. I can see where regularly scheduled games there would be a problem unlees you ran shuttles from Denton but based on what I've seen lately, if Jerry would make us his usual deal, it might not hurt to try.

I have no idea what the official count was. My girlfriend and I were in the middle of a sea of maroon, and at least 3/4 of the stadium looked to be maroon. The Aggies around us were all laughing at North Texas' supposed "home game"--I would have rebutted if I could have, but it looked to me like what they were saying was the truth.

I remember the exact same thing about the A&M game. Announcing a new record for home attendance and the aggies getting a laugh from that because it was a virtual "maroon out". No more TX Stadium, they come to the track stadium in Denton or we don't play at all! :lol:

All I remember about that game is being in miserable, miserable traffic for so long before and after. I hate Texas Stadium and won't miss it, even if I will never be allowed in the new one without donating a kidney.