New Stadium News

NT80

http://meangreen.beloblog.com/

Committee picks firm to design North Texas stadium

10:57 PM CST on Wednesday, February 6, 2008

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

bvito@dentonrc.com

DENTON – A committee that includes athletic department and university personnel will recommend to the school's board of regents that it select HKS Inc. to provide architectural and design services for a new football stadium, according to university documents.

A budget of $300,000 has been established for architectural work on a stadium that would seat 30,000-35,000 and could be expanded to 50,000 seats.

The stadium would be built adjacent to the Mean Green Athletic Center and would replace Fouts Field, which opened in 1952.

The board will meet Friday and Saturday.

This is GREAT NEWS! And, just think...this news comes out BEFORE there is any "OFFICIAL" announcement from UNT about a new stadium! I guess this is a "new" way to do things...let's build the stadium before we officially tell anyone we are building one so it will be a big surprise! Wow...imagine that logic???? Anyway, I am excited about this news...this is a great firm to be working with...cutting edge...great design work, etc., etc. VERY good news...

Hey, the Denton Exes are having a Mixer at TJ Hartford's in Lewisville on Feb. 16th and RV is speaking at 1PM...do you think he might say something about the stadium project? Hope so, but probably would want a bigger platform to make the announcement official, but maybe we can ask him a question or two "on the side" about the stadium.

Me thinks it's official anyway...what do you think?

GREAT NEWS FOR THE MEAN GREEN. Good things are happening with both athletics and academics at UNT....get on MEAN GREEN BAND WAGON...Join the Exes...Join the Mean Green Club (yes, for some of you...get over it...and join! I did!)...but season tickets...donate to your college or UNT in general...rah, rah and all that..... It's a great time to be part of the Mean Green nation! :D

From what I saw of the pics FIU stadium $300, 000 doesn't get you much. Is the 300k just for the design work? They should make it a multi use facility and bring concerts and stuff to earn extra $$$$, like pizza hut park.

Edited by filmerj

From what I saw of the pics FIU stadium $300, 000 doesn't get you much. Is the 300k just for the design work? They should make it a multi use facility and bring concerts and stuff to earn extra $$$$, like pizza hut park.

Here's your answer:

A budget of $300,000 has been established for architectural work

What am I missing? We are budgeting 300K for the architectural firm? To design the whole project...not just a model for fundraising? Did we get the donor(s) to start this thing? Are we getting student fees? What gives? Typically the plans would not be drawn until the funds are secured...so I am assuming that we now have the funds? For 300K, this is definitely not just a model to be used for fundraising or to get a vote for student fees. These are the plans to build the thing! I just don't understand not having an announcement that we have secured the necessary funds. I want to believe it, but just can't let myself until I see the big announcement, unless the donor wants to keep it on the QT.

What am I missing? We are budgeting 300K for the architectural firm? To design the whole project...not just a model for fundraising? Did we get the donor(s) to start this thing? Are we getting student fees? What gives? Typically the plans would not be drawn until the funds are secured...so I am assuming that we now have the funds? For 300K, this is definitely not just a model to be used for fundraising or to get a vote for student fees. These are the plans to build the thing! I just don't understand not having an announcement that we have secured the necessary funds. I want to believe it, but just can't let myself until I see the big announcement, unless the donor wants to keep it on the QT.

I hope we had a large donor, that would be awesome! I think a lot of people are cornfused!

YES!

To even do this I'll bet news on a Big Donor (or Big Donors) is imminent, right? And such a donor may very well want to keep it on the QT, the real grad88.

Nevertheless, the best part of all this is that things are actually moving forward on this most important facility for our future in NCAA D1-A (and all this in my lifetime to boot). :blink:

So yes, Santa Clause...........there is a Virginia!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

You have to have these engineering plans drawn before you can get construction bids. Then you will see what the real, build-it-today costs are and if the plans needs trimming or not. It's a step in the overall process.

Edited by NT80

There are many potential donors that have told the Athletic Department that they won't donate a cent to the stadium fund until there's a definite budget, timetable, schedule, etc. You can't just say, "Send us money now, and some day, at some cost, we'll build it." There are some that will help with covering these design costs, but the bulk won't do anything until, "Here's the design, the total estimated cost, and the timetable."

There are many potential donors that have told the Athletic Department that they won't donate a cent to the stadium fund until there's a definite budget, timetable, schedule, etc. You can't just say, "Send us money now, and some day, at some cost, we'll build it." There are some that will help with covering these design costs, but the bulk won't do anything until, "Here's the design, the total estimated cost, and the timetable."

Dead on accurate!

So, we do have a donor to design the thing...that's wonderful in itself.

$300,000 these days might get you some air pillows and a lot rental to play on for a season.