Mendoza Lands Dc Job

Marty

Cedar Hill hires Mendoza

Ron Mendoza is the new defensive coordinator at Cedar Hill, head coach Joey McGuire confirmed.

"We're excited to get him and I think he's excited to be here,'' McGuire said.

Mendoza had great success as defensive coordinator at Southlake Carroll under Todd Dodge. He accompanied Dodge to UNT last year, but was fired after one season.

Mendoza replaces Carlos Lynn, who left Cedar Hill to become the head coach at Arlington Seguin. Lynn and McGuire had worked together for 10 years. When McGuire became head coach five years ago, he promoted Lynn to defensive coordinator.

"Losing Carlos was like losing my right hand,'' McGuire said. "But Ron will be a great fit.''

I think he'll do fine at Cedar Hill. He's done well in that role in 5A high school football before, and Cedar Hill has been a good team. We should all wish Ron Mendoza well, and he should seek what is best for his players, whether sending them our way, or to whatever school is the best fit for them. A few head coaches who haven't done so well at North Texas, such as Corky Nelson and Dennis Parker, have enjoyed good careers after leaving here and returning to coaching high school or smaller colleges. One thing to remember is that Texas has some of the best high school football in the country, and it speaks well of those coaching it if they can succeed here.

Wish him well.

We do need to wish him well, he came to NT to improve us. He tried. He's going back to what he's great doing. Moving from one level to another can test some. Recruits get a year or so to learn and adjust. Coaches come in and are expected to improve what was already there. Our offense took off and the defense was a different story but Deloach will have it going soon.

I wish Coach mendoza nothing but success at Ceadr Hill. I would be that he and Coach Dodge still have a great relationship off the field. Hey, Coach Dodge gave him a shot at the college level...and, who knows...one day he will probably get another shot. I wish him the very best...and I think UNT will be very welcome at Cedar Hill. Coaches know how the carrer is for them...doors open and doors close....it is what you make of it...like most everything else in life. Things will turn out great for Coach mendoza if he moves on and keeps doing the best he can...I would suspect that you will see a good defense at Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill will be happy to have Coach mendoza.

Folks...wish him well...say what you will...I am sure he tried his best at UNT...just probably wasn't ready for the college game...YET! There is plenty of time...

Good Luck Coach Mendoza.

He's going to do just fine. He was a little out of his element last year, but he has had ferocious high school defenses. Sorry it didn't work out for you here, but wish you well.

---He likely will do fine in HS, that is where is has spent most of his time... The college game is a lot different with faster, larger, and more talented players and he appeared to be in over his head. Good luck to him, I am sure he was trying to help us succeed, it just did not work out very well.