What's Up With The L S U Opener ?

MeanGreen61

Mentioned on the podcast that we may not open at LSU . What's happenin' ?

--Maybe LSU got a better offer or that a TV network is wanting to broadcast them in a bigger game to open the season... Perhaps we can get a "payout" and schedule someone that we actually have a chance doing decent against. It seems that there are several BCS schools still looking for an opponent to fill their schedule. Maybe there is pressure from somewhere for LSU to play one of them and we will get one of the others or the opponent that the new guy would have played.

---It wouldn't hurt my feelings any if they did and we managed to collect some cash besides.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

--Maybe LSU got a better offer or that a TV network is wanting to broadcast them in a bigger game to open the season... Perhaps we can get a "payout" and schedule someone that we actually have a chance doing decent against. It seems that there are several BCS schools still looking for an opponent to fill their schedule. Maybe there is pressure from somewhere for LSU to play one of them and we will get one of the others or the opponent that the new guy would have played.

---It wouldn't hurt my feelings any if they did and we managed to collect some cash besides.

Yeah, but hopefully the cash we would get is enough to support the budget. Seems we still need these "body bag" games on our schedule to bolster our budget.

Yeah, but hopefully the cash we would get is enough to support the budget. Seems we still need these "body bag" games on our schedule to bolster our budget.

--If someone wanted LSU on TV bad enough I would think the cash from the buyout and the cash for the "new" game could be the same or better.

The deal is that we have to find a replacement for Miami to open up their new stadium... If we can't do that then we will owe them "x" amount of dollars. This is a particularly bad year to try and find a team an "extra" opponent... in fact there are 8 Div I schools that haven't been able to fill their schedules yet and might have to just not have a 12th game or pick up a IAA team... Until we replace our Miami date, LSU is up in the air. At least that was the story from when the switcharoo was being put together. I think that if we can find them an opponent - we would still get most of the guarantee - plus the money from LSU to play them - it would come out to about $850K to play LSU and we simply cannot turn down that kind of money. But if we can't replace the opponent for Miami - we will be going there to open the season for a more winnable game and I think our check will be about $450K. So.... both are pretty tough to win, one pays $850K and the other pays $450K... Which would you choose?

The deal is that we have to find a replacement for Miami to open up their new stadium... If we can't do that then we will owe them "x" amount of dollars. This is a particularly bad year to try and find a team an "extra" opponent... in fact there are 8 Div I schools that haven't been able to fill their schedules yet and might have to just not have a 12th game or pick up a IAA team... Until we replace our Miami date, LSU is up in the air. At least that was the story from when the switcharoo was being put together. I think that if we can find them an opponent - we would still get most of the guarantee - plus the money from LSU to play them - it would come out to about $850K to play LSU and we simply cannot turn down that kind of money. But if we can't replace the opponent for Miami - we will be going there to open the season for a more winnable game and I think our check will be about $450K. So.... both are pretty tough to win, one pays $850K and the other pays $450K... Which would you choose?

Agree, stebo, we cannot afford to turn down that kind of money, but we can watch our recruiting get better (across the board) year after year so that we can lose the term "body bag games" forever in Denton, Texas. Many may remember when those 3 words did not exist in our Mean Green vocabulary.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I thought Miami wanted out of the game with us, so please explain to me why we have to find a replacement for them? I'm sorry we just weren't a big enough name for them to "open" their new stadium, but that's their problem not ours. :angry:

It's kind of our problem too. I think some will see our opener as more winnable once he dust settles, but I'm not giving this one anyway. Nor do I think we'll win it.

It's kind of our problem too. I think some will see our opener as more winnable once he dust settles, but I'm not giving this one anyway. Nor do I think we'll win it.

Please explain how Miami wanting out of the game with us is our problem too?

Please explain how Miami wanting out of the game with us is our problem too?

Calm down champ. Being viewed as too worthless to open a stadium is kind of embarrassing... that's all I meant.

Guest GrayEagleOne

It's still a little hard to see us changing our schedule unless it's rearranging the dates of the twelve teams that we are scheduled to meet.

If another team were worked in who would you change? I believe that K-State is scheduled for LSU's open date. The only one that I'd even consider changing is Rice. Then again, we could hold that over them for a game at Fouts. As of now I don't see Rice visiting us on their future schedules.