It's Official: Deloach Hired At Unt

Mean Green 93-98

It's official: DeLoach hired at UNT

Former UCLA safeties/special teams coach Gary DeLoach can expect a warm welcome at Saturday's football banquet after the season UNT's defense had.

Head coach Todd Dodge said Thursday that DeLoach is the Mean Green's new defensive coordinator, replacing Ron Mendoza, who was fired Jan. 2. DeLoach coached at UNT from 1998 to 2002, the last three as DC.

DeLoach had a few connections to UNT other than his previous experience. Current offensive line coach Spencer Leftwich, who also worked at UNT under Darrell Dickey, is a former colleague. While at UCLA, DeLoach passed through Southlake while recruiting Dodge's players at Carroll High School.

"The first person I thought about was him," Dodge said. "I checked with [coaches] I always lean on, two or three people, and asked their opinion. They mentioned Gary, who I was already thinking about. It just confirmed what I was wanting to go with."

DeLoach has 28 years of college coaching experience, 13 as a defensive coordinator. A Houston native, DeLoach has other stops at Texas A&M, Stephen F. Austin, New Mexico State, Trinity Valley Community College and the Frankfurt Galaxy of the now-defunct World League.

Despite changes at UCLA with the hiring of new coach Rick Neuheisel, DeLoach had a chance to stay at UCLA, with much of the defensive staff retained. Family ties in Houston and the chance to rebuild a UNT defense that helped win four consecutive Conference titles (2001-2004) figured into the move.

DeLoach's first day of work is Friday, Dodge said.

http://startelegram.typepad.com/college_football_confiden/

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Holy crap...she's a journalist?? What does she cover, backstage binging and purging in the supermodel industry?

BTW, looks like Startlegram was already on DeLoach, from looks of blog entries before this one. Whatever, who gives a crap so long as he's really hired. No more games giving up 70, we can hope.