The Pit Crew

chrisfisher

My visiting family went to the Southern game, and will also be at the Centenary game with me tonight. We sat right in the middle of the Pit Crew section. They were shocked at how Pit Crew members harassed the opposing bench the entire game. They couldn't believe how personal it got with the coach and the players too. They weren't offended necessarily and found much of what was said to be funny. They did, however, speculate that this was unsportsman-like behavior. What my family call "personal attacks or unsportman-like behavior," I call "home court advantage." Is it common for fans to relentlessly heckle the opposing team at other stadiums in D1A? I am pretty sure it is, but haven't been to other college b-ball stadiums before, and wanted to see what other experiences where like.

Edited by chrisfisher

This will start an entire thread about sportsmanship and that seems to be a very grey area. Personal attacks are not my taste. You can yell at officials about calls and razz the opponent about their game or the score. But, I cringe when the home team attacks a player's look, name, or anything that does not involve basketball.

But that is just my own opinion and I am sure there is a long line of people who will call belittling someone "home court advantage."

Try watching an ACC game chris. Those kids can be brutal. My favorite was about 15-20 years ago when some kid(I don't even remember the school...maybe Maryland?) was accused of stealing stereo equipement or something and there were several students in the Duke section that came in with old boom boxes with little signs saying "You ain't getting mine". :lol:

My visiting family went to the Southern game, and will also be at the Centenary game with me tonight. We sat right in the middle of the Pit Crew section. They were shocked at how Pit Crew members harassed the opposing bench the entire game. They couldn't believe how personal it got with the coach and the players too. They weren't offended necessarily and found much of what was said to be funny. They did, however, speculate that this was unsportsman-like behavior. What my family call "personal attacks or unsportman-like behavior," I call "home court advantage." Is it common for fans to relentlessly heckle the opposing team at other stadiums in D1A? I am pretty sure it is, but haven't been to other college b-ball stadiums before, and wanted to see what other experiences where like.

I am not really into the personal attacks, but the Missou student section is a pretty good one. I kind of like a little heckling and if the students get into it, and it gets them to the games, then so be it.

So does the PIT yell "WHO?" whenever they are annoucing the starting line up of the visitors? I think I hear a couple, but not many if they are.

My two boys really like doing that and everyone kind-of looks at us weird in Sect. 103... Just wondering

We definitely yell "who?" The last 2 games it hasn't been as loud due to the decreased attendance... but during the regular season the "who" is pretty loud.

The heckling from the Pit Crew is hardly ever personal. We don't attack race, we don't curse; we mostly rant about their game or silly stuff they do.

Number 2 for Southern was clapping during the oddest times of the first half, so we hassled him for most of the game about how all he could do was clap. He ended up scoring one bucket in the last few seconds of the game. Several others took heat for missed shots, fouls, etc. We once picked on a guy for his long greased up hair, we make fun of coaches who dress ugly, we sometimes call out players for their chicken legs.

If we learn stuff about players (DUI, stealing stereos), then we DEFINITELY use that. You shouldn't have been in the news if you don't want to be called out for it. There are police officers staged directly underneath us to ensure no one gets out of hand.

Make as much noise as possible. Sometimes my scream takes the form of the word "brick," but I don't think there is any set methodology other than do distract the free thrower as much as we can.

Just a suggestion for after they miss....

Have someone who is loud count to three and then everyone in unison yell "nice shot".... only on misses though.... If you get alot of people doing ti... it sounds really good....

Pass out blow-up bikini women to The Pit members. Fill'm up and wave them in the air during the free throws, in place of the 2-dimensional bricks. If you're lucky and look hard enough, you can find ones with the "o-face". Players couldn't ever ignore that.

I think this post is standing on the forum rules fence, waiting to fall off on the wrong side. So I'll stop there.

Lets make this interesting. Don't be so cliche!

This is something that's been bothering me for some time. I don't understand why some people must attack another person's looks. Yes, it's funny and will get people laughing. I will admit to laughing most of the time. However, I don't think we represent our school well when alumni are embarrased of the pit crew.

This is something that's been bothering me for some time. I don't understand why some people must attack another person's looks. Yes, it's funny and will get people laughing. I will admit to laughing most of the time. However, I don't think we represent our school well when alumni are embarrased of the pit crew.

It can be done in a non-offensive way. In the 70's one of my game companions would pick out the smallest, youngest looking player on the opposing team---wait for a quiet moment---and then shout "Hey number 15. Does your mother know where you are." One time that remark caused one of the victim's teammates to smile.

Example of a poor heckling choice: SMU fans chanting "OVERATED" after beating Prairie View A&M.