Hartford Falls At North Texas

ADLER

MBB Falls at North Texas Despite School Record 17 Three-Pointers

Courtesy: Hartford Sports Information

Release: 12/08/2007

DENTON, TX – The University of Hartford men’s basketball team lost to the University of North Texas, 105-97, in a shootout on Saturday afternoon at the Super Pit.

Hartford (4-6 overall) broke the school record with 17 three-pointers in the contest, though it wasn’t enough to overcome 60 percent shooting by North Texas (6-2 overall). The Mean Green also shot 61 percent (14 of 23) from three-point range and 86 percent (31 of 36) from the free throw line.

Junior Warren McLendon and sophomore Joe Zeglinski each finished with 24 points apiece for the Hawks, tying a season high for the former and a career high for the latter. Zeglinski went 6 of 10 from three-point range while McLendon pulled down eight rebounds and shot 9 of 13 from the free throw line. Freshman Morgan Sabia also finished in double figures with 12 points, all from beyond the arc.

“North Texas is a very good basketball team, and they made the plays at the end that they needed to win the game,” said head coach Dan Leibovitz. “There are a number of positives we can take away from this game, but now we have to get back to work and get better as a unit.”

Hartford finished with a season-high 21 assists and a season-low 11 turnovers. The Hawks, who made 10 three-pointers in the first half, eclipsed the old record of 12 on a trey by Sabia five minutes into the second stanza.

Josh White led five players in double figures for North Texas with 24 points. Ben Bell and Tristan Thompson pitched in with 23 and 18, respectively.

Hartford opened the second half with a 47-45 lead but quickly fell behind when North Texas scored nine of the stanza’s first 10 points. The Hawks answered with eight straight points and took the lead back on a three-pointer by Sabia at the 16:10 mark.

The lead flip-flopped several times and neither team led by more than three until Thompson made a pair of free throws to give the Mean Green a 76-71 edge with 9:31 remaining. North Texas increased the margin to nine (82-73) before the Hawks made another charge. Hartford used a 14-4 run over a four-minute stretch to shift the momentum, pulling ahead 87-86 on a pair of McLendon free throws with 4:34 to play. Senior Brian Glowiak hit a pair of three-pointers during the run while McLendon added four from the charity stripe.

The teams traded the lead on ensuing three-point shots, though North Texas took the lead for good on a bucket by Bell that made it 91-90 with 3:25 to go. The Mean Green outscored the Hawks 16-7 in the final 3:25 and missed only one of 12 free throw attempts.

Hartford returns home to host Monmouth on Tuesday, December 11 at Chase Arena at Reich Family Pavilion. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Official Basketball Box Score

Official Basketball Box Score

HARTFORD vs North Texas

12/08/07 2:00 p.m. at The Super Pit - Denton, Texas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VISITORS: HARTFORD 4-6

TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS

## Player Name FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF TP A TO BLK S MIN

03 Turner, Michael..... f 2-5 1-2 3-5 4 3 7 4 8 7 2 0 3 36

25 Minor, Anthony...... f 1-2 0-1 0-0 1 0 1 3 2 0 2 0 0 8

31 Estes, Kevin........ f 2-6 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 3 4 1 2 0 0 11

22 Baker, Rich......... g 3-3 2-2 0-0 0 0 0 2 8 4 0 0 0 22

24 Zeglinski, Joe...... g 8-15 6-10 2-2 2 2 4 2 24 2 0 0 0 35

01 Von Rosenberg, Jaret 2-5 0-2 2-2 2 2 4 3 6 3 2 0 3 26

02 McLendon, Warren.... 7-17 1-6 9-13 3 5 8 4 24 3 2 1 0 27

10 Torres, Andres...... 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 6

11 Glowiak, Brian...... 3-8 3-8 0-0 0 0 0 1 9 1 1 0 0 13

15 Bookman, David...... 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 3

23 Sabia, Morgan....... 4-8 4-6 0-1 1 1 2 3 12 0 0 0 0 13

TEAM................ 2 1 3

Totals.............. 32-69 17-37 16-23 15 15 30 27 97 21 11 1 7 200

TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 15-33 45.5% 2nd Half: 17-36 47.2% Game: 46.4% DEADB

3-Pt. FG% 1st Half: 10-20 50.0% 2nd Half: 7-17 41.2% Game: 45.9% REBS

F Throw % 1st Half: 7-10 70.0% 2nd Half: 9-13 69.2% Game: 69.6% 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOME TEAM: North Texas 6-2

TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS

## Player Name FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF TP A TO BLK S MIN

14 Thompson, Tristan... f 4-5 2-2 8-8 0 5 5 4 18 0 1 0 0 16

21 Stewart, Harold..... f 1-2 0-0 5-7 2 2 4 5 7 1 3 0 0 18

32 Williams, Quincy.... c 4-7 0-0 3-4 2 5 7 4 11 0 3 3 1 33

01 Bell, Ben........... g 8-10 2-3 5-5 0 3 3 0 23 5 5 0 1 38

10 White, Josh......... g 6-8 4-6 8-10 0 2 2 0 24 6 2 0 1 36

05 McCoy, Adam......... 2-9 2-5 2-2 2 2 4 0 8 1 1 0 0 12

11 Willingham, Dez..... 5-8 4-7 0-0 0 0 0 0 14 1 3 0 0 22

24 Hogans, Kedrick..... 0-1 0-0 0-0 1 1 2 5 0 0 1 1 0 6

25 Montague, Jeff...... 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

34 Howerton, Justin.... 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 6 6 3 0 0 0 0 0 18

TEAM................ 2 1 3

Totals.............. 30-50 14-23 31-36 9 27 36 21 105 14 19 4 3 200

TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 14-28 50.0% 2nd Half: 16-22 72.7% Game: 60.0% DEADB

3-Pt. FG% 1st Half: 5-10 50.0% 2nd Half: 9-13 69.2% Game: 60.9% REBS

F Throw % 1st Half: 12-13 92.3% 2nd Half: 19-23 82.6% Game: 86.1% 1

Officials: David Stevens, Quinton Reece, Joe Townsell

Technical fouls: HARTFORD-None. North Texas-None.

Attendance: 2157

Score by Periods 1st 2nd Total

HARTFORD...................... 47 50 - 97

North Texas................... 45 60 - 105

I don't know if everyone that did not attend realizes this, but we put up over 100 points with our #2 (Wooden) and #3 (Dennis) scorers sitting this one out! Moreover, although Hartford put up some serious points, we made enough defensive stops even with Wooden out, Howerton playing significant minutes, and a hobbled Kendrick Hogans to win the game. We truly "found a way to win" despite considerable adversity. Great win!! Fun game!!!

I don't know if everyone that did not attend realizes this, but we put up over 100 points with our #2 (Wooden) and #3 (Dennis) scorers sitting this one out! Moreover, although Hartford put up some serious points, we made enough defensive stops even with Wooden out, Howerton playing significant minutes, and a hobbled Kendrick Hogans to win the game. We truly "found a way to win" despite considerable adversity. Great win!! Fun game!!!

I can't remember when Howerton stepped up like he did for that game. good job by him. he grabbed some significant rebounds.

We didn't play well. We kept a team in it that shouldn't have. White is truly great, but he needs help out there. We wouldn't have pulled that win out if it were against a better team. We have along way to go. just my opinion

One of my game companions goes to all the home games plus UTA, but he does not read the board or look at the statistics. I mentioned that some Mean Green fans don't like Josh White at point guard because he has too many turnovers and not enough assists.

My friend replied, "Statistics are like a bikini. They show a lot, but they don't show the most important things."

I also saw another good quote on the SMU BB board, "Comparing SMU to Duke basketball is not comparing apples to oranges. It is comparing apples to a wadded up McDonalds's wrapper in a Wal-Mart parking lot."

Edited by Buford_Julep

One of my game companions goes to all the home games plus UTA, but he does not read the board or look at the statistics. I mentioned that some Mean Green fans don't like Josh White at point guard because he has too many turnovers and not enough assists.

My friend replied, "Statistics are like a bikini. They show a lot, but they don't show the most important things."

I also saw another good quote on the SMU BB board, "Comparing SMU to Duke basketball is not comparing apples to oranges. It is comparing apples to a wadded up McDonals's wrapper in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

White had 6 assists and only 2 turnovers this game. Also take a look at his overall turnovers and they are coming down. He is doing just fine for a freshman PG. The biggest problem we have right now is handling the full court pres. I wish JJ and Co. could figure this one out. I'm getting tired of seeing this, quite frankly.

We didn't play well. We kept a team in it that shouldn't have. White is truly great, but he needs help out there. We wouldn't have pulled that win out if it were against a better team. We have along way to go. just my opinion

Jesus Christ dude...we scored over 100 points in regulation and won. ALOT of the team steppped up other than Josh. Hell, Ben Bell was the player of the game.

Seriously, chill with the doom and gloom.

Edited by CMJ

Jesus Christ dude...we scored over 100 points in regulation and won. ALOT of the team steppped up other than Josh. Hell, Ben Bell was the player of the game.

Some people like misery and are pessimistic... meanwhile some just drink the Kool-aid and see no problems.

We won... that is the important thing... there are always if and buts .... some days a team plays beyond its ability and some days not even close... the point is we won... even when we were not all that sharp and missing players. ..... that is a good thing.

Well...he's kinda right...not about players stepping up...I think without Dennis or Wooden to hang a hundred points on anybody is impressive, nice to see McCoy and Willingham putting up solid games...and a career high from Tristan is really nice as well

But we would've lost to a better team...I was on, in the famous words of Steve Zissou, an overnight drunk in NYC when I was informed that we gave up 97 points to Hartford...I promptly ordered a Jameson and toasted Ron Mendoza. We played their game...rather than attack their zone we jacked up 23 three pointers. Rather than pressure their mediocre ballhandlers we forced just 11 turnovers...and rather than force them to try to score inside where we have a distinct advantage even without Keith, we allowed them to play into their strength and score 53% of their points from behind the arc. I'll take Travis's pessimism a step further...most nights you don't shoot 60% from the field...if we didn't Saturday wel lose to THIS team.

There are positives to be taken away from this game, without a doubt. And I don't believe Travis is curled up in a ball wondering what happened to his team...they won, he knows it and is happy. All he was doing was pointing out...and I agree...that there is still a lot of work to be done. I think at this point we've played two complete games that we can step back and be happy with: OSU and ISU. It isn't doom and gloom...just realism.

Some people like misery and are pessimistic... meanwhile some just drink the Kool-aid and see no problems.

We won... that is the important thing... there are always if and buts .... some days a team plays beyond its ability and some days not even close... the point is we won... even when we were not all that sharp and missing players. ..... that is a good thing.

Only 1 point of disagreement with you.... we were extremely sharp shooting... the sharpest we may have been years.... 60% on 2's, 61% on 3's, and 87% (or something like that) on free throws FOR THE GAME.... our sharpness is the reason we won.

So we shot 60% from the floor and barely won. Maybe a bit troublesome, but Hartford was shooting lights out as well and lost(I mean they hit a million 3's). Sometimes these kinds of games just happen. We barely beat SFA(I believe) last year despite shooting 65% from the floor and having a huge inside presence from Quincy.

Just saying.

The REALLY big difference I have seen between this years' team and last years' is the free throw %. We are usually pretty mediocre at it, and so far this season we have shot a really good % at the line. This has always been 1 thing in our game that we were really lacking, and if we had that kind of shooting last year we would have had a few more wins and played memphis a whole lot closer.

I disagree that we didn't play well overall. Hartford was dropping 3's no matter what we did... hand in their face or not....it was their night for 3's... that is, until we started lighting them up..... we did struggle with the full court press though... I agree with you that we have a long way to go... for me, that is the encouraging part....we have a ton of new people and the team as a whole is just starting to "gel" and we have already won some nice OOC games. Moreover, our guards outside of White have actually shot fairly poorly up until the past game or two... even Johnnie Jones commented two weeks ago that they were laughing that they were 5-1 with hardly any of their guards hitting their stride yet. If, or hopefully when, this team hits full stride... watch out, because if we have White, Thompson, Wooden, Q, Dennis, Bell, and the backup guards all playing to potential at the same time, we could go very, very far.