Quarterback Stats

ptx44

Vizza led the nation in picks (20) the next closest person was Paul Smith of Tulsa who threw 19 but also had 42 touchdown passes to Vizza's 17. Vizza had 116 less pass attempts than Smith. Also his completion percentage of 58.2% is ranked 73rd according to espn.com. Another intersting stat is that his sack total of 27 is 27th in the nation with the likes of Paul Smith, Andre' Woodson, and Rudy Capenter sacked more than him. Andre Woodson had 36 touchdowns to 10 interceptions and Rudy Carpenter had 23 touchdowns and 8 interceptions. I'm not making these comparisons to talk down on Mr. Vizza because I think he has a great future ahead of him at UNT. I just hope he grows from this season and never throws more picks than touchdowns ever again.

Another thought ...

Like the coaching staff, this year was a major learning experience for all involved. I think play calling offensively and defensively was suspect all year long, in crucial, momentum swinging moments. Our teams record was not the result of any one man, coach or player, but was a team effort. I hope what we witnessed this year will be very different next year because I want to believe that these players and coaches will try their damndest to not make the same mistakes next year. I also believe that the future holds great things and talking about last year is done because I'm looking forward to next year. I'm looking forward to our team being better, our record being better, our conference being better (whether it be the Sunbelt or any other), and our recruits being highly touted highly sought after players. Although our team and record was nothing short of sad this year great things are coming, and I could not be more proud to be a Mean Green fan than now. How does one figure out how to get up if they have never been down? It is going to make it feel that much better.

Not bashing your post here, but Vizza is a TRUE FRESHMAN...18-19 yrs old.

Last year this time he was playing in high school.

He will be better

Thank you. The QB's Vizza was being compared to are all seniors. I challenge anyone that doesn't think Vizza will develop into an unbelievable QB. The future is bright.

Thank you. The QB's Vizza was being compared to are all seniors. I challenge anyone that doesn't think Vizza will develop into an unbelievable QB. The future is bright.

And when was the last time UNT had a QB who made a Freshmen All America Honorable Mention list? Any mention for any UNT frosh' QB for that matter?

Can we start looking for a few silver linings on this board for a change? Jeez, I didn't get this way with DD until his 8'th year of under .500 success(?) and some of you (word I here) wanted even more of, uh..............."THAT"? O Ye of Such Low Expectation For Dear Ol' Alma Mater. (Just more proof in the pudding as to why so many schools have passed us by the last almost 30 years and some of those schools who used to even admire what we were doing--but that has been a long, long time ago now. :(

In Todd We Trust should be something we do even when things have been its darkest, right? And without getting too cliche'est, isn't it darkest right before dawn?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

And when was the last time UNT had a QB who made a Freshmen All America Honorable Mention list? Any mention for any UNT frosh' QB for that matter?

You like to write so much but know so little. The year was 2005, I know it has nothing to do with Fry but still........

I think it's disingenuous to point out that Vizza has thrown so many picks in fewer opportunities then other QB's and then compare his sack totals to those QB's with more attempts. Obviously they are going to get sacked more when they are in for more snaps. I bet if you watched film of them and compared it to Vizza, he is under pressure alot more. Sure alot of the picks were a result of poor decision making, but that will get better with time and coaching.

You like to write so much but know so little. The year was 2005, I know it has nothing to do with Fry but still........

Anyone else see the extra humor in this post when placed right above KBJ's signature?

We can assume the QB posisiton will be better next year. Be it Vizza with another year and training camp under his belt, or Dodge who beats out the veteran, the situation will be better than it was this year.

In addition, if the defense can improve and keep us from getting in the hole the way we so often were this year the need for the long ball which may be a weakness isn't as major. Improvement on both sides of the ball will impact the other side. More potent offense gives the defense a better chance to succeed more often. A defense who succeeds more often puts the offense in better position. Yin and Yang. Chocolate and Vanilla. Birds and Bees.

...good times...

Hey Everybody,

For what it's worth, here are my stats from my freshman year.

162 attempts, 82 completions, 8 INTs, 6 TDs, 731 yds, 50 % completion

Vizza is going to be great next year. And, the competition from Riley will heat up the battle and make them both better. UNT will be excellent at QB for the next several years.

Take care,

Mitch Maher

Vizza's stats turned into the NCAA

Comp.%: 58.22454308093995

Yards/Att.: 6.234986945169712

TD%: 4.43864229765013

Int.%: 5.221932114882506

NCAA QB Rating: 114.80208877284595

Hey Everybody,

Vizza is going to be great next year. And, the competition from Riley will heat up the battle and make them both better. UNT will be excellent at QB for the next several years.

Take care,

Mitch Maher

Hey mitch, we miss ya. Thanks for puting things into perspective. Some of us can't realize Vizza is only human and it's going to take a year or two before we see his true potential.

Honorable Mention

MEAGER WAS A RS FRESHMAN

VIZZA WAS A TRUE FRESHMAN

I realize Meager played in a rushing orientated offense vs Vizza in a spread offense so not many true comparisons exist. I would like to point out one comparison since several posters have been mentioned Vizza's picks.

2005 Meager played in 11 games and had 8 interceptions vs 4 TD's out of 202 passes attempted

2007 Vizza played in 10 games had 20 interceptions vs 17 TD's out of 388 passes attempted, had at least one TD called back due to holding penalty.

This post is not intended to belittle Meager in any way....he has had several injuries and concussions...has given his all to NT and this year was very much a man in the way he has handled himself.

I am surprised that Vizza stood up to the pounding he took game after game...

Hey Everybody,

Take care,

Mitch Maher

Thanks for the stats Mitch. I remember watching you play in HS at Plano Sr. High running the option. Do you know how many passes you threw your senior year in HS? Probably wasn't more than 40 total? BTW, Plano is 12-1 this year and playing in the quarterfinals this Saturday, the last season for Coach Brence before he becomes AD next year.

Edited by NT80

Meager stats were in a run oriented team which meant most of his passing came in play action when most teams were preparing to stop the UNT run game.

Hell, everyone knew that Giovanni was going to throw because 1) we were way behind in several games, OU and Arkansas as well as others and 2) we had no running game. People were just pinning their ears back and kicking his butt with pressure and long down and distance situations.

I can remember at least five picks being on tipped balls and some were caused by WR's tips. You can't put all of those int's on his decision making ability. In fact, against WKU, LA LA, and FIU the games were not ideal conditions to throw the ball. With a wet field and no running game, throwing the ball makes it awful tough.

I don't think their is any comparison the Meager's RS season and Vizza true freshman season.

It's not only his passing that is better, but its his running style and determination that his team rallies behind.

Edited by nautique