Mendoza Blows Another One

UNTflyer

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Offense only scored 17 pts, the defense and special teams contributed to 10 pts allowing the Offense the need to go 24 yds for those 10 pts. nearly 500 yds and only 17 pts is terrible

If you're going to take away points for the defense/special teams putting the offense in a position to score, then you also need to take off yardage. I'd slice off at least 100 yards total offense.

Not the defense's fault I don't believe...this one's VERY hard to swallow!

The 6-1 look by our front is a 4-3 with the outstide LB's walked...but it does turn into something like a 6-1 when you're trying to block it.

We mixed up our looks, and did fine containing their QB who is a good athlete. Should have had a few more picks...but overall defense played well.

Offense only had to go 24 yds for 10 of 27 pts, so 17 pts on nearly 450 yds total offense and only 6 pts in the second half, DODGE has to go with Mendoza

Do you even read before you hit the "add reply" button. Seriously, stick with soccer. If you think Dodge needs to go then you need help.

I hate hate hate hate the prevent defense. I cannot say that strongly enough. However, there were 3 plays on the last drive we did not make which could have ended the game - 2 potential ints and a horrible missed tackle that gave 15 additional yards after contact. I hate the prevent, but the defenders on the field have to take some of the blame for the final drive.

Also, I was very surprised we did not go for it on their 5 yd line. If you don't make it they must go 95 yds w/no time outs and a FG only send it to overtime. We have only 1 win and have nothing to lose. I understand the FG attempt, but our kickoffs were netting a starting fielding position of the 35 yd line anyway.

I agree that Mendoza needs to go, but not based solely on ASU's final drive for the win. We just got too conservative in many ways and lost the game. Those things are going to happen and there's no doubt that this one hurts. Not to take ANYTHING away from FRESHMAN Micah Mosely's nice game, but I still wish that we would get SENIOR Jamario more involved if we're going to keep it on the ground most of the game. Jamario has more breakaway abilities and that's what we could of used tonight. Over 5 yards a carry for the year and he hardly gets a chance to get it going. Not asking for a return to Buick ball by any means, but Jamario's limited involvement this year just ain't right to me.

Great points by Gmoney and foutsrouts. After watching us go for it on 4th downs at OU and SMU it's interesting to see the conservativism creep in at the end of the season.

Still, consider we went into Jonesboro after 5 days to prepare for this game following a track meet of an emotional loss and still owned ASU in their house till the final drive. Our defense got 8 stops tonight. 4 punts, 2 turnovers and forced 2 field goals. All I can ask for is improvement and tonight I saw it against what looked by most to be one of the two best teams in the Belt back in September.

We're gonna be fine.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Great points by Gmoney and foutsrouts. After watching us go for it on 4th downs at OU and SMU it's interesting to see the conservativism creep in at the end of the season.

Still, consider we went into Jonesboro after 5 days to prepare for this game following a track meet of an emotional loss and still owned ASU in their house till the final drive. Our defense got 8 stops tonight. 4 punts, 2 turnovers and forced 2 field goals. All I can ask for is improvement and tonight I saw it against what looked by most to be one of the two best teams in the Belt back in September.

We're gonna be fine.

Rick

Also great points by you, Rick, particularly in regards to Gmoney on going for 3. I was wondering before that fg attempt if it might not be better to go for it, since we've been giving up lots of field position (and points) recently by playing conservatively on the exchanges. I'll continue to support Dodge and the move to a "wide-open" offense, as long as he doesn't forget that it's "wide-open" that got him here, and not "close to the vest".

Edited by eulessismore

Is anyone else concerned that the second half always belongs to the other team? Not including the Troy, OU and UA games we're getting outscored in the second half 164-73 and we've scored half as many points in the second half as the first (155-73). It's not just the other teams offense that's making adjustments. I think Dodge can correct this problem with a little more experience, but I don't think Mendoza has what it takes.

Unfortunately, I've come to expect that if we're winning in the fourth quarter, somehow we're going to screw it up and lose. I hate that feeling, but I haven't been given any other reason not to feel that way with this team. I was truly living in a polyanna world after we hired Dodge at the first of the year. I just "knew" we were going to win 7 games. I never in my wildest dreams thought we would be this bad (ranked 117th out of 120 NCAA Division I Teams).

this same defense was on a team that ONLY won TWO games last year. How good can they really be?

the blame for our loses have to ALSO be placed on the offense and special teams.

you can't blame Coach Mendoza for everything. our "D" players are just sub standard. NT just needs better players who are faster and can tackle. period.

And you're related to Mendoza in what way? :huh:

Have you forgotten the offense from the previous 2 seasons couldn't sniff 35 points??? Those offenses were as bad as this year's defense. Figuratively speaking, of course. Nothing can be worse than a record setting defense. :ph34r:

Offense only scored 17 pts, the defense and special teams contributed to 10 pts allowing the Offense the need to go 24 yds for those 10 pts. nearly 500 yds and only 17 pts is terrible

Ok so when did the defense walk a score into the endzone?? Special Teams contributed 6 points with FG's. Last I saw JT had 2 TDs and Mosely had 1 TD. The defense dropped a few picks on the final drive, Mendoza play a prevent a win defense, Dodge got overly conservative in the 4th Q and we also missed a chip shot FG.

This was a total team collapse.

All of the coaches need to learn to adjust from the HC down to the specialty coaches, we have lost way to many games b/c the other team adjusted and we have been stuck doing the same thing = insanity.

This is not H.S. anymore and you're no longer going to have 50 pt leads by Half-time with some of the best talent in the region. Learn to adjust and then maybe we win several more games. No reason we could not be 6-4 or even 7-3 right now, with minor adjustments.