One Day Later...

BIG DAWG

Bottom line ladies and gents, you CANNOT score 62 points and lose.

We have given up 70+ points twice, 66 points, 48, and 45 twice

We give up on average 469 yds/gm...to teams not named Arkansas or Oklahoma.

That is 469 yds/gm to teams not ranked, and in our own conference. One of, if not the worst conferences in NCAA Football.

We have held one team under 400 yds this season, and that was MTSU...we lost.

We gave up 10 yds/carry to Navy...Navy isn't that bad a team, and are very good at what they do, but please...give me a break...10 yds/carry.

LAST SEASON we gave up 323 yds/gm not including the Texas game

Only 3 times did we give up over 400yds in any game

5 TIMES we held opponents under 300 yds in a game

The players that graduated last year...Philip Graves (injured most of the season) and Sky Pruitt

Does the loss of those players make that much of a difference? The answer is no.

My question is this...How are we going to be better defensively without wholesale changes in philosophy when we are going to be losing the following players???

Montey Stevenson

Jeremiah Chapman

Maurice Holman

Brandon Monroe (Doesn't start but is a senior leader and contributor)

Derek Mendoza (Not a NFL type talent, but is solid contributor)

Aaron Weathers

Tobe Nwigwe...who knows what will happen we he gets out of jail

I don't see this defense getting better, and that means abother 0-2 win season. The honeymoon period is going to wear off eventually for Dodge.

A change in defensive philosophy is needed now just as much as an offensive change in philosophy was needed with Dickey.

This just goes to show that you cannot be horrible at either.

Edited by BIG DAWG

You forgot to mention we are giving up 49.6 points per game. We are a touchdown greater than the second to last team , Rice. It's not like we have the strongest schedule either. OU is the only ranked opponent we have played , we play in the cellar dweller of conferences , Arkansas in a above average team , Navy is average.

49.6 has to be on pace for a record , been trying to find the NCAA record for most points allowed for a season , but having not luck so far.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I thought going into the season that our defense would be the one area of strength while our offense would progress as the season moved along. We might need to consider trying to steal some JUCO players. Nonetheless, and say what you want, but this game could turn out to be a good thing for UNT. Think about the press and the publicity thats coming to us after this game. People understand TD will find ways to score points. Now TD can go out when he's recruiting defensive players and tell them that they can come in and play immediately. Give TD some time to fix this thing. We all know Coach Mendoza is in over his head at the college ranks. Things can only get better guys.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I thought going into the season that our defense would be the one area of strength while our offense would progress as the season moved along. We might need to consider trying to steal some JUCO players. Nonetheless, and say what you want, but this game could turn out to be a good thing for UNT. Think about the press and the publicity thats coming to us after this game. People understand TD will find ways to score points. Now TD can go out when he's recruiting defensive players and tell them that they can come in and play immediately. Give TD some time to fix this thing. We all know Coach Mendoza is in over his head at the college ranks. Things can only get better guys.

We had the same defense returning from last year and are now 200% worse?; I think the problem is in how the players are being used to defend. TD make a change!

We all know Coach Mendoza is in over his head at the college ranks.

But if Dodge doesn't realize this, it doesn't matter.

If we wants to play the loyalty card and refuse to let him go, after this season or next, I just don't see us getting any better. We just showed we can't outscore people...hell we scored 62 points and got beat.

It all comes down to the simple question of whether Dodge can make the hard decisions when it comes down to his staff.

If we wants to play the loyalty card and refuse to let him go, after this season or next, I just don't see us getting any better. We just showed we can't outscore people...hell we scored 62 points and got beat.

It all comes down to the simple question of whether Dodge can make the hard decisions when it comes down to his staff.

Why are we just assuming that Dodge won't do what is right. Why do we assume he doesn't realize his friend is in over his head?

Part of hiring a friend is the fact that you may have to fire him. It's part of being the boss... part of wearing the daddy pants.

Mendoza will not be here next year, but Dodge is going to let him go out quietly during the off-season and not make a big deal of it, probably even help him get lined up for a HC highschool position before he accepts his resignation.

Dodge WILL make the personally difficult choice because his loyalties lay with his Student-Athletes, which has been shown again and again.

Why are we just assuming that Dodge won't do what is right. Why do we assume he doesn't realize his friend is in over his head?

Part of hiring a friend is the fact that you may have to fire him. It's part of being the boss... part of wearing the daddy pants.

Mendoza will not be here next year, but Dodge is going to let him go out quietly during the off-season and not make a big deal of it, probably even help him get lined up for a HC highschool position before he accepts his resignation.

Dodge WILL make the personally difficult choice because his loyalties lay with his Student-Athletes, which has been shown again and again.

<sarcasm>Which is EXACTLY why he brought them in automatically, without giving many people a sniff of an interview.</sarcasm>

<sarcasm>Which is EXACTLY why he brought them in automatically, without giving many people a sniff of an interview.</sarcasm>

Two totally different situations.

...the old regime had build a very negative situation between players and coaches. Just removing them all and starting over was one quick way to take care of that problem. Perhaps, in retrospect, this seems a little rash, but I can see why he did it and where he was coming from.

Assuming that knowing what he knows now he won't make a different decision than the one he made when he knew a different reality is just silly.

Jesus - Give this guy the benefit of the doubt. If he DOESN'T remove Mendoza, then I will be right there with you asking questions, but at least give him the chance to do the right thing and don't condem him before he makes his move...

Two totally different situations.

...the old regime had build a very negative situation between players and coaches. Just removing them all and starting over was one quick way to take care of that problem. Perhaps, in retrospect, this seems a little rash, but I can see why he did it and where he was coming from.

Assuming that knowing what he knows now he won't make a different decision than the one he made when he knew a different reality is just silly.

Jesus - Give this guy the benefit of the doubt. If he DOESN'T remove Mendoza, then I will be right there with you asking questions, but at least give him the chance to do the right thing and don't condem him before he makes his move...

I'm not condeming anyone. And you're implying there was a negativity between the players and all of the old coaches. Please clarify.

-Jesus

Doesn't Dodge have to sign-off on the defensive gameplan?? What makes anyone here think that he "KNOWS" that Mendoza is the problem?? I'd bet that he probably thinks it's a combination of things and not all on Mendoza's shoulders (as probably most would agree). However, after seeing the body language and discussion that was going on in-game/post-game last night between the defensive players and coaches I just wonder if it's gone so far that Mendoza may not ever be able to get the kids confidence and buy-in back. Let's just say that he is able to sell the players on his plan again (however altered it may be during the offseason)...our first game next year is against friggin LSU--not exactly a confidence builder. Not to change the topic, but good gosh we have to stop opening with games like this.

Could it be that the offense is hurting the defense? All year last year, the complaint was that DD left the defense on the field too long and they would get tired. That was when they were only out there for 65 plays per game, now they are on the field for nearly 74 plays per game.

Big Dawg lets take another look at the info you presented, here is my analysis

2006 Seniors on Defense based on the 2006 Media Guide that were lost from last year: Excluding some who were not significant losses:

1. LB Shawn Early...# 2 in 2 deep

2. LB Phillip Graves..# 1 in 2 deep, yes he was injured

3. DE Sky Pruitt...# 2 in 2 deep

4. DE Willie Ransom # 1 in 2 deep

5. DB Cass Starks ?probablly not a major loss

2006 Seniors on Offense:

1. OL Dylan Lineberry #1 on 2 deep

2. OL Josh Alexander

3. OT Joel Foster #1 on 2 deep

4. OC Chase Pistole..@ 2...left team

Now lets take a look at this year

1. SS Roy Loren #1 on 2 deep... left the team start of season

2. Kicker Steven Woodward...left team...start of season possible grades which has prevented numerous field goal opportunites for team

3. CB Gary Oubre....# 2 on 2 deep quit team start of seasn

4. LB Tobe Nwigne...# 2 on 2 deep....Has played little due to legal problems, missed the Navy game and a couple others, and is now in jail

5. CB Dominique Green # 1 on 2 deep...suspended early season suspended before Navy game currently still on suspension

6. OLB Colt Mahan...has been injured and had surgery before Navy game, hasn't played much probably because of injury

7. CB Desmond Chatman...# 2 2 deep ... missed last two or three games incl Navy due to suspension

8. DE Tye Rexrode...@ 2 on 2 deep...been injured most of the year.

9. OL Josh Alexander, a starter in 2006 has been injured and has not been able to play this year

10. OL Nicholas Foster heard he had grade problems...not on team this season

11. OL Ajani Banks...didn't play the first of the season?...now is back up

12. DE Eddrick Gilmore...didn't play the first of the season ? Started the last several games and is doing great.

Does this information make a significant difference or provide a reason for the decreased stats you presented? Yes we will lose defensive players form this year to next....but we lost them last year to this year also and not just the two you mentioned.... and that could be a reason for the decreased stats from last year to this year also. I don't question the points and yardage you posted. Yes I am deeply concerned about our defense this year but have faith in Todd Dodge that additional quality players will be recruited and playing next year including some JC's for immediate help and fully expect the defense to be better next year...I can't believe the quality of players we are recruiting now and against the Big time programs mainly.

If I am incorrect on any of these feel free to correct me....I did my best.

***************************************************************************************************************************

Bottom line ladies and gents, you CANNOT score 62 points and lose.

We have given up 70+ points twice, 66 points, 48, and 45 twice

We give up on average 469 yds/gm...to teams not named Arkansas or Oklahoma.

That is 469 yds/gm to teams not ranked, and in our own conference. One of, if not the worst conferences in NCAA Football.

We have held one team under 400 yds this season, and that was MTSU...we lost.

We gave up 10 yds/carry to Navy...Navy isn't that bad a team, and are very good at what they do, but please...give me a break...10 yds/carry.

LAST SEASON we gave up 323 yds/gm not including the Texas game

Only 3 times did we give up over 400yds in any game

5 TIMES we held opponents under 300 yds in a game

The players that graduated last year...Philip Graves (injured most of the season) and Sky Pruitt

Does the loss of those players make that much of a difference? The answer is no.

My question is this...How are we going to be better defensively without wholesale changes in philosophy when we are going to be losing the following players???

Montey Stevenson

Jeremiah Chapman

Maurice Holman

Brandon Monroe (Doesn't start but is a senior leader and contributor)

Derek Mendoza (Not a NFL type talent, but is solid contributor)

Aaron Weathers

Tobe Nwigwe...who knows what will happen we he gets out of jail

I don't see this defense getting better, and that means abother 0-2 win season. The honeymoon period is going to wear off eventually for Dodge.

A change in defensive philosophy is needed now just as much as an offensive change in philosophy was needed with Dickey.

This just goes to show that you cannot be horrible at either.

Dickey played the loyalty card with Flanagan and look where that got him/them/us. :blink:

1. LB Shawn Early...# 2 in 2 deep

2. LB Phillip Graves..# 1 in 2 deep, yes he was injured

3. DE Sky Pruitt...# 2 in 2 deep

4. DE Willie Ransom # 1 in 2 deep

5. DB Cass Starks ?probablly not a major loss

Early and Ransom didn't play anything close to meaningful snaps last year. Both if I remember correctly were hurt most of the season.

1. SS Roy Loren #1 on 2 deep... left the team start of season

2. Kicker Steven Woodward...left team...start of season possible grades which has prevented numerous field goal opportunites for team

3. CB Gary Oubre....# 2 on 2 deep quit team start of seasn

4. LB Tobe Nwigne...# 2 on 2 deep....Has played little due to legal problems, missed the Navy game and a couple others, and is now in jail

5. CB Dominique Green # 1 on 2 deep...suspended early season suspended before Navy game currently still on suspension

6. OLB Colt Mahan...has been injured and had surgery before Navy game, hasn't played much probably because of injury

7. CB Desmond Chatman...# 2 2 deep ... missed last two or three games incl Navy due to suspension

8. DE Tye Rexrode...@ 2 on 2 deep...been injured most of the year.

9. OL Josh Alexander, a starter in 2006 has been injured and has not been able to play this year

10. OL Nicholas Foster heard he had grade problems...not on team this season

11. OL Ajani Banks...didn't play the first of the season?...now is back up

12. DE Eddrick Gilmore...didn't play the first of the season ? Started the last several games and is doing great.

The bolded players I have highlighted, yes were counted on, but they have not shown me anything...Loren played in a handful of game slast year, paperwork issues and a broken thumb

Gary Oubre...not even worth my time typing...never played significant snaps

Chatman...could you call his time significant???

Tye Rexrode...never has played significant snaps

My point is that these players if they were around would not make this defense signifiactly better. I think some of these players listed might not contribute at all if they were here or healthy.

The problem on defense deals with philosophy...not players so much.

Yes, I know that you have to have the players on the field, but the players we are putting on the field are not this bad...YOU CANNOT GET ME TO BELIEVE THAT!

You do not in one year get this bad, and blame it on the players when the same unit returns in tact with the exception of the defensive coordinator.

I am not saying anyone is blaming the players...I am just at a loss, and it is beating me down trying to figure it out. I want to give this staff time just like many of you, but theis defense is wheels off, and I JUST CANNOT SEE HOW ANYONE CAN LOGICALLY, that means without green glasses on, TELL ME THAT THEY EXPECT US TO BE BETTER ON DEFENSE NEXT YEAR, AND WE LOSE 6/11 STARTERS. Key starters at that!

Someone rationally explain how this happens without major coaching changes on that side of the ball. You do not normally get younger and get significantly better. There is a learning curve.

I am not saying anyone is blaming the players...I am just at a loss, and it is beating me down trying to figure it out. I want to give this staff time just like many of you, but theis defense is wheels off, and I JUST CANNOT SEE HOW ANYONE CAN LOGICALLY, that means without green glasses on, TELL ME THAT THEY EXPECT US TO BE BETTER ON DEFENSE NEXT YEAR, AND WE LOSE 6/11 STARTERS. Key starters at that!

Someone rationally explain how this happens without major coaching changes on that side of the ball. You do not normally get younger and get significantly better. There is a learning curve.

I don't see how this defense gets much better next season without some type of defensive coaching changes, but I do know it will be very hard to watch another year of defense like this.

The bolded players I have highlighted, yes were counted on, but they have not shown me anything...Loren played in a handful of game slast year, paperwork issues and a broken thumb

Loren averaged 4.13 tackles per game last year. Yes he only played in 8 games but was effective. He led the team in tackles against ULM and LaTech last year. You cannot be certain he would not have made an impact this year. Especially since he was the projected to be the starter all the way to the point he left the team. Remember when he left, everyone was wondering who would replace him. Agbottah is good but Loren was ahead on the depth chart for a reason.