Second Player Alledges Discrimination

MeanGreen61

Second player alleges discrimination

Richard C. White and Aaron Bracamontes

Issue date: 11/1/07 Section: NEWS

One day after NT head coach Todd Dodge denied allegations of racism on his team by a suspended player, a second player has come forward with similar allegations.

Sophomore defensive back Desmon Chatman, who was suspended indefinitely earlier this season, notified a Texas chapter of the NAACP on Tuesday that he wants to join junior defensive back

Dominique Green in his complaint against the football program.

Both Chatman and Green were unavailable for comment.

Dodge said that both suspensions were disciplinary actions because the players' actions were "detrimental" to the team and were not racially related.

"I don't have anything to hide," Dodge said. "I know that I treat our players and our coaches treat our players the right way. It has absolutely nothing to do with the color of anyone's skin."

Dodge was notified Tuesday night that Chatman had contacted the NAACP.

"Again, it was a situation where a young man was suspended from our team and that happened quite a while ago," Dodge said. "I'm not surprised by it, I think the two complaints go hand in hand with each other, as far as them visiting with each other about it."

NT Athletics Director Rick Villarreal said the department has launched its own investigation into the matter.

"I think that in the long run, coach Dodge will be proven out to be correct," Villarreal said. "I have not been contacted by any player with a piece of evidence that said there was racism involved with the football team."

Ericka Cain, mediator for Green's case, has not met with Green nor has she received Chatman's statement, but will meet with Green today. She is also attempting to set up a meeting with Villarreal.

Administrators also plan to look into the situation, said Deborah Leliaert, vice president for university relations, communication and marketing.

"The university administration is looking into allegations made by the student athlete, that he was unfairly suspended for an indefinite period of time from the team," Leliaert said.

Dodge said he has not spoken with the team regarding the details, but he understands his players are aware of the situation.

Junior defensive lineman Joseph Miller called both complaints "ridiculous."

"I don't see a reason for all this," said Miller. "I don't know what they're trying to prove. There's no racial conflict on this team."

Miller said the timing of Chatman's complaint surprised him and he did not understand why the issue of race has been brought up.

"He was suspended a long time ago but now that Dominique said something, he wants to say something," Miller said. "He's been off the team for a while. We still see him around the study hall and dorms and what not, but he had never said anything or complained about anybody being a racist."

Miller said both players should accept the reality of their suspensions.

"Everybody gets an equal chance," he said. "If you mess up and do wrong and are insubordinate then that's on you. You have to be held accountable for your mistakes."

Green said he felt he was being suspended for using the word "hood" on the sidelines, earlier in the week.

Dodge said the suspension was a result of foul language and a continued disrespect for authority.

"I'm not naive enough to think that foul language isn't used, but when it is, I'm not going to turn a deaf ear or blind eye," he said. "My coaches won't either. We're going to say, 'hey, that's not appropriate.' "

Dodge said he expects his players "to act with class and sportsmanship" while on the sidelines. Both players' scholarships are still intact and are expected to attend mandatory study halls in order to keep their scholarships.

"The University of North Texas is still paying for their education right now, so that has not been taken away from them," Dodge said.

He also said he would look into the possibility of the players returning to the team this offseason.

"As long as they show a sincere act of wanting to correct their attitudes, then they may have a chance to come back," he said. "I didn't want to call some big team meeting and say, this is happening, because our guys are smart, they know what's happening."

nice article and I am glad to see Miller backing the coach and calling Chatman to task. Chatman should be excited that he is still having his education and housing paid for currently even though he is off the team. That he is still in the dorms and utlizing study halls speaks more to me than anything on Dodge's character.

Please just end this debacle though, it is an embarassment and hopefully the truth will come out in due time, although Dodge and UNT will have a stigma no matter what the outcome is. :angry:

"I don't see a reason for all this," said Miller. "I don't know what they're trying to prove. There's no racial conflict on this team."

Miller said the timing of Chatman's complaint surprised him and he did not understand why the issue of race has been brought up.

"He was suspended a long time ago but now that Dominique said something, he wants to say something," Miller said. "He's been off the team for a while. We still see him around the study hall and dorms and what not, but he had never said anything or complained about anybody being a racist."

Miller said both players should accept the reality of their suspensions.

"Everybody gets an equal chance," he said. "If you mess up and do wrong and are insubordinate then that's on you. You have to be held accountable for your mistakes."

Green said he felt he was being suspended for using the word "hood" on the sidelines, earlier in the week.

Dodge said the suspension was a result of foul language and a continued disrespect for authority.

"I'm not naive enough to think that foul language isn't used, but when it is, I'm not going to turn a deaf ear or blind eye," he said. "My coaches won't either. We're going to say, 'hey, that's not appropriate.' "

Dodge said he expects his players "to act with class and sportsmanship" while on the sidelines. Both players' scholarships are still intact and are expected to attend mandatory study halls in order to keep their scholarships.

"The University of North Texas is still paying for their education right now, so that has not been taken away from them," Dodge said.

He also said he would look into the possibility of the players returning to the team this offseason.

"As long as they show a sincere act of wanting to correct their attitudes, then they may have a chance to come back," he said. "I didn't want to call some big team meeting and say, this is happening, because our guys are smart, they know what's happening."

If the NAACP follows up with this (and I hope they actually do for all concerned), then they could probably do so at about 119 other NCAA D1-A schools where discipline should never be confused as racism. YET.............if there is any inkling or hint of racism (which I don't think there was from reading Miller and other blacks accounts and even a lengthy post from a black ex UNT assistant football coach before the Todd Dodge era and that coach who said there was no racism among any of our present staff); nevertheless, if there was even an ounce of racism out at the Mean Green Village it would need to be corrected, but again.............. there have been enough black voices on campus and in Denton who seem to think there is really nothing to this at all.

Sadly, though, when you yell "FIRE!" in a theatre (and there is no fire), before that fact is even known, people start immediately judging why in the hell didn't that theatre have better fire alarm systems in place? It almost becomes a no win for all parties concerned when perception become the sure-fire truth & reality in such things.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Good for Miller to say this on the record. Players who feel this way should speak up now.

If the team agrees with him, this racial allegation will piss them off and could bring them closer together. I still wouldn't call any of this a good thing, but it's something to hang your hat on as a fan of the program.