Kimball Player Chooses Nevada

SUMG

(I wonder if we were ever the least bit interested in this guy. Cooley.....Buford.......anyone know anything about him? Here's the story from the DMN blog:

London "Cotton" Giles became the first of four (and possibly five) Kimball boys basketball players to orally commit to a university. Giles on Wednesday said he will play for the University of Nevada next season.

Giles, a 6-3 point guard, chose Nevada over Louisiana-Lafayette and Marquette. Nevada produced Mavericks rookie Nick Fazekas, who won multiple collegiate awards including the WAC Player of the Year - an award Giles will shoot for next year.

"I feel like I have a good opportunity to make an impact at that school," Giles said. "I feel I can win a championship over there. I was really comfortable with the coaching staff there."

I expected Giles to receive a better offer than Nevada! He's a very good all around player but not great in any one area. He thought seriously about transferring to SOC this season but chose to remain a Knight. Evidently, the major schools doesn't feel that he is quick enough at the point (6-3). I've never seen UNT on his list or vice versa. UNT, however, is very interested in their best player, David Kyles. In addition to these two, Kimball should have 2 others to receive a D1 offers and a top 10 junior (Julian Washburn) next year.

I understand one of the coaches will be in Central Texas tomorrow to visit a HS kid. I'm trying to get the name and school of the kid.

I'm sorry, Washburn was only a freshman last year! Earlier in the summer I posted about the recruitment of LB Nash (8th grader) Well, LB has landed at Dallas Lincoln and is currently being recruited nationally by all the major programs. Most are trying to get the kid to commit his freshman year. Lincoln will be the team to beat in Texas over the next year or two as they also have landed two other highly regarded freshmen.

Lincoln will be the team to beat in Texas over the next year or two as they also have landed two other highly regarded freshmen.

This is a little disturbing that Public Schools are now basically recruiting players, I assume this happens all over but seems very prevalent in Dallas ISD and area.

Lincoln is a magnet school similar to Skyline. Kids from across the city can attend because of the college prep courses and curriculum (sp) they offer.

That might be true but it also helps in that Lincoln has always been a B-Ball power, which begs the question is going to Lincoln for the Magnet School Academics or or purely B-Ball.

Not making accusations just seems a little fishy but obviously legal.

That might be true but it also helps in that Lincoln has always been a B-Ball power, which begs the question is going to Lincoln for the Magnet School Academics or or purely B-Ball.

Not making accusations just seems a little fishy but obviously legal.

Its a whole lot less shady then what happens up here in Northeast inner-cities where private schools give "academic" scholarships to top rate atheltes.

I expected Giles to receive a better offer than Nevada! He's a very good all around player but not great in any one area. He thought seriously about transferring to SOC this season but chose to remain a Knight. Evidently, the major schools doesn't feel that he is quick enough at the point (6-3). I've never seen UNT on his list or vice versa. UNT, however, is very interested in their best player, David Kyles. In addition to these two, Kimball should have 2 others to receive a D1 offers and a top 10 junior (Julian Washburn) next year.

I understand one of the coaches will be in Central Texas tomorrow to visit a HS kid. I'm trying to get the name and school of the kid.

What are our chances with David Kyles? What major schools are after him?

Since none of NT's four wing players are seniors, it would appear that the coaching staff would only be interested in recruiting clearly superior players at that position. I assume you would approve of giving Kyles a scholarship. My question is would you offer a scholarship to Shug Jones of Pinkston or Darian Thibideaux of Kimball if Kyles was unavailable. Which of those two would you prefer?

I was at the IAD Saturday. Ereven Davis coached Kimball and Chris Davis coached Pinkston. Maybe those two can give us a recruiting advantage.

Yes, I wore a Mean Green shirt while trying to watch God's Academy-Pinkston, DeSoto-Highland Park and Carrollton Newman-Smith vs Keller Fossil Ridge at the same time. I went home for lunch and came back to the IAD wearing the free Denton Shootout T-shirt. Say hi the next time you see me.