Fw*telegram Dodg Takes Some Blame For Loss As Play

OldTimer

http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sport...ory/247596.html

The 3rd and last interception was the result of Dodge being confident that Meager could "put it in the right spot and (the receiver) going up and getting it"...(my interruptatioon; IE Meager couldn't do it. "It wasn't a poor read..We had one-on-one coverage...it could have been a better pass but he made the right read"

"Meager should have thrown the ball awar on the first two interceptions after plays broke down."

Dodge felt he probably banged it home (running plays) on the last drive. I should have brought it home with the runing game...take up time

Does anyone rember the spring training game scrimmages...the defense didn't blitz....Meager won the starting job over Vizza with his performance there and in practice. If the defense had blitzed would Meagers happy feet and forced passes been evident when he was under pressure?

I don't know if these quotes were taken from Coach's radio show, but he said very similar things during that broadcast with George. Reading between the lines, it seems that Dodge is not as confident with Meager as he was earlier in the year. Not that I'm surprised, the late turnovers against SMU and FAU have been back-breakers. Couple these quotes with the new articles talking about Vizza seeing more playing time, and I think we can all see the writing on the wall.

In Dodge's case, playing the freshman here shortly may be a good move for him. Fans are much more forgiving of mistakes made by an 18 year old freshman with "developing potential" than they are of a redshirt junior, who should be beyond making the kind of mistakes that we've continued to see.

UNT had first down on the Florida Atlantic 38 with 14:03 to play Saturday. A touchdown on that drive would have given UNT a 27-13 lead. Instead, Meager went for the end zone, resulting in FAU's third interception.

We've got to establish a running game late in the game. We should have won this one. I understand the "go for the jugular", but my goodness, 14 points in the 4th qtr would have been huge.

Edited by Eagle1855

We've got to establish a running game late in the game. We should have won this one. I understand the "go for the jugular", but my goodness, 14 points in the 4th qtr would have been huge.

Agree. Not sure why we moved away from a mix of running plays in the 2nd half against FAU. I haven't looked at the actual run numbers in the 2nd half but it sure seemed that way.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm glad to see Coach Dodge taking some blame (responsibility) for his play-calling decisions. I'm sure that his first thought was toward his perceived strength....passing. The running game hadn't worked in the past and he was no doubt reluctant to use it in this situation. But, Jamario seemed to be his old self against FAU and would've likely delivered. I think that recognizing mistakes is maturing as a coach. Further, admitting them publicly I think helps diminish the possibility of repeating those mistakes.

This is 180 degrees from what we've been accustomed.

Does anyone rember the spring training game scrimmages...the defense didn't blitz....Meager won the starting job over Vizza with his performance there and in practice. If the defense had blitzed would Meagers happy feet and forced passes been evident when he was under pressure?

Someone help me out here - I vaguely (sp?) remember during DD time here that Meager looked great in practice, but then the game situations ended up being different.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

I love it...blunt and to the point. To answer your question, yes, I believe most of Meager's undesirable tendencies may have been more obvious had the defense simulated real game situations and played all out. But I doubt that would ever happen because we would all be very upset if our QB got hurt in practice. That would also have been obvious by viewing any game film of Meager from the last two years.

It's very easy to let the defense get in your head once you've been hit really hard by a 6'4", 280 lbs DL or a charging LB...especially when you've already had a few concussions. Now, I'm not accusing DM of played scared. I'm just saying that I think he has a heightened awareness of being sacked. He's not able to focus on his receivers as much as he should because he's too concerned about the sack and throwing the INT.

Someone help me out here - I vaguely (sp?) remember during DD time here that Meager looked great in practice, but then the game situations ended up being different.

Wow. It's like someone is taking the words directly off of my keyboard from four months ago.

Also, what about this part?

Athletic director Rick Villarreal confirmed that UNT will open the 2010 season at Clemson. UNT hosts Rice that season and travels to Kansas State. One 2010 nonconference date remains open.
I thought I remembered reading somewhere K-State coming to Denton in 2010. Edited by emmitt01

Look the young man is completing 65% of his passes and has a good avg. in yards per game. He is learning the TD system just like the other 52 players and putting up good numbers

It's very easy to let the defense get in your head once you've been hit really hard by a 6'4", 280 lbs DL or a charging LB...especially when you've already had a few concussions. Now, I'm not accusing DM of played scared. I'm just saying that I think he has a heightened awareness of being sacked. He's not able to focus on his receivers as much as he should because he's too concerned about the sack and throwing the INT.

If he stays in the pocket and gets sack 7 time then you would be saying that he can not see the rush and is to slow to get out of the packet. In the SMU game PB stated that they hit the QB 24 time but only got 4 sacks.

Yes he made two real bad plays and one bad pass that could have been helped out by the receiver.

He ran for what 40-50 yards per TD so he must not be to concerned about getting hit

Look the young man is completing 65% of his passes and has a good avg. in yards per game. He is learning the TD system just like the other 52 players and putting up good numbers

He can thank Casey and B-Jax for his good numbers. He tries to force throws, you cannot do that at this level. Both interceptions in the endzone this game were jump balls that turned our receivers into dbs. Both of those balls should have been thrown away or at tucked and run. We could have at least had 2 field goals out of the deal instead of 2 turnovers.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere K-State coming to Denton in 2010.

A K-State article also previously said they were coming to Denton in 2010. A future schedule still shows it. Perhaps we switched Home game years for construction considerations??........... (I wish!)............

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_...tate_future.htm

The high completion ratio is a product of the sytem. FAU and SMU gave you guys the high percentage bubble screens, short out and stop routes most of the game. High completion percentage is one thing but its the opportunities down field that UNT is missing.

I guarantee that my buddy from Alamo Heights, Giovanni, would have those same percentages as well if he dinked the ball around all day long. In high school, Giovanni threw the ball down the field and took his calculated chances. Being a former WR of Vizza's, his biggest strength, besides his talent, is his ability to lead and to win games. He is the most competitive person on the field.

I hope UNT will realize what they have and give him his chance. True freshman or not, Gio will make plays and is a calculated risk taker both throwing and running.

Common Dodge, you know what you got. Let Gio make his mistakes and after that, he'll take off in front of your eyes. The guy had 500 yards on the biggest stage and won the state championship. Gio is clutch.

"You're driving home and hindsight is 20/20," Dodge said. "If I had it to do over, I'd probably bang it home [with running plays]. You're wanting to go for the jugular."

UNT had first down on the Florida Atlantic 38 with 14:03 to play Saturday. A touchdown on that drive would have given UNT a 27-13 lead. Instead, Meager went for the end zone, resulting in FAU's third interception.

"It was costly from the standpoint of where [in the game] it happened and how much more time would could have run off the clock," Dodge said.

FAU won 30-20. Turnovers and blocked punts resulted in 20 FAU points. Missed UNT blocking assignments accounted for the blocked punts. Dodge said Meager should have thrown away the first two interceptions after plays broke down.

Dodge said Meager's third interception was a result of him being confident that Meager could "put it in the right spot and [the receiver] going up and getting it."

"It wasn't a poor read," Dodge said. "We had one-on-one coverage. It could have been a better pass, but he made the right read."

I love the "going for the jugular" attitude, but as I stated two days ago, I had wished we run at that point instead of throwing at the NCAA interception leader from the FAU 38. Evidently TD felt confident in DM to make the throw. DM hit Fitz for a long bomb down to the 1 yard line against SMU down the right sideline in which few here seem to remember. However, in that situation against FAU DM didn't place the ball deep enough, and the reciever didn't fight for position and go up for it, although I realize DM is going to take most of the blame for it all in most eyes.

Rick

I love the "going for the jugular" attitude, but as I stated two days ago, I had wished we run at that point instead of throwing at the NCAA interception leader from the FAU 38. Evidently TD felt confident in DM to make the throw. DM hit Fitz for a long bomb down to the 1 yard line against SMU down the right sideline in which few here seem to remember. However, in that situation against FAU DM didn't place the ball deep enough, and the reciever didn't fight for position and go up for it, although I realize DM is going to take most of the blame for it all in most eyes.

Rick

FFR - Ok, I'll admit it - your "asinine" statement (as I put it) two days ago about Todge basically ordering DM to make the throw no matter what, turned out to be a pretty damn good assessment, based on the direct quotes from Todge in that article. I'm just a little shocked Todge would make that command in that situation and under those circumstances. There most definitely should have been a secondary option for DM to go to if the coverage was too tight...which it obviously was.

So...I offer my apologies to you and to DM.

Evidently TD felt confident in DM to make the throw. DM hit Fitz for a long bomb down to the 1 yard line against SMU down the right sideline in which few here seem to remember. However, in that situation against FAU DM didn't place the ball deep enough, and the reciever didn't fight for position and go up for it, although I realize DM is going to take most of the blame for it all in most eyes.

Rick

Most of DM's long throws have been underthrown this season. He had one long throw in the spring game where he hit the receiver in stride, but our receivers out-jumped SMUt defenders for many long balls, but not against FAU. The underthrown long ball is his worst fault right now, besides the happy feet.

Edited by NT80

The high completion ratio is a product of the sytem. FAU and SMU gave you guys the high percentage bubble screens, short out and stop routes most of the game. High completion percentage is one thing but its the opportunities down field that UNT is missing.

I guarantee that my buddy from Alamo Heights, Giovanni, would have those same percentages as well if he dinked the ball around all day long. In high school, Giovanni threw the ball down the field and took his calculated chances. Being a former WR of Vizza's, his biggest strength, besides his talent, is his ability to lead and to win games. He is the most competitive person on the field.

I hope UNT will realize what they have and give him his chance. True freshman or not, Gio will make plays and is a calculated risk taker both throwing and running.

Common Dodge, you know what you got. Let Gio make his mistakes and after that, he'll take off in front of your eyes. The guy had 500 yards on the biggest stage and won the state championship. Gio is clutch.

I was impressed with Vizza against OU. He had a lot of poise for a freshman. I want to see more playing time for him.

Most of DM's long throws have been underthrown this season. He had one long throw in the spring game where he hit the receiver in stride, but our receivers out-jumped SMUt defenders for many long balls, but not against FAU. The underthrown long ball is his worst fault right now, besides the happy feet.

yes.

Meager is not use to playing so much for so long. He has not played this much since his junior year in HS. Even then, he certainly didn't throw the ball 60 times a game. Not a Meager fan but I'm sure his inactivity over the past 3-4 years is contributing to him to him tiring at the end of games. (thus int's)