The Real Problem

StealthEagle84

I was looking at the Mean Green's overall national rankings and one thing really stood out to me. I think these stats tell the truth, we are simply not winning the battle up front on either side of the ball. We are 113th in sacks allowed (4 per game), and 116th in sacks (.67 per game). Also, we are 114th in tackles for a loss (3.67 per game). Simple fact, we aren't winning up front and its effecting everything behind it.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/r...7000000497.HTML

Thank you DD

Not really sure what's meant by that. I understand it's an old cliche but its a simple truth about football. Plain and simple, we're losing the battle up front. To win football games week in and week out, you have to control the line of scrimmage. Look no further than the game played this Monday night. The Saints, who have great weapons in the backfield, couldn't do anything because their offensive and defensive fronts were plain and simply getting whooped. It doesn't matter who we have at QB if we can't keep him upright. The good news we're extremely young on the o-line and things will only get better.

Actually I would have to agree with this one.

I noticed that as soon as the other team started blitzing us, we lost it. Meager can be runnig 20-30 yards in circles every time looking for someone to throw to that is in double coverage. He is either going to get sacked, throw it away, or throw an INT.

Unfortunately, things may look very similar to last years passing game once other teams figure out that our weakness is up front.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I believe that the middle three have played very well. No one seems to get by the center and guards. The problem is the tackles. Of course, they have the harder job. One of them gets a speed rusher and the other may get a blitzing linebacker or safety. Many think that Menard has the tools to be a good tackle. We shall see. He still makes mistakes but I'm hearing his name called less so maybe ht is learning. On the other side, maybe Peachey will be back next game. If not, I'd like to see Carlson given a try.

The linemen can only hold defensive players out for a few seconds, so quick decisions will negate some of the pressure being felt. In other words, don't hold on to the ball so long and make the linemen look even worse.

I'm not a DD basher but I believe this was one glaring problem in his demise. In his last years he failed to get the beef up front on either side of the ball and we are still suffering from it.

Not enough quality beef on either side has been my "beef" for the past nine years. I'm not a coach, but all I hear about is a good lineman needs the right "footwork" keep those big defensive tackles and ends off the quarterback. My question is, if I have a good lineman, 6-4, 285 pounds that has great footwork, can he get bowled over by 6-5, 325 defensive lineman? :angry:

DD certainly couldn't recruit good linemen. I am hoping for that to change with the dodge.

I hope so, but I can assure you that finding good Tackles with the footwork and balance to pass block at the D1 level is difficult. Now take that issue and emphasize it with an offense that passes 99% of the time and you see the dillemma we're facing. Many good lineman can offset a weakness in pass blocking wth superior run blocking ability. That will not happen here.

DD certainly couldn't recruit good linemen. I am hoping for that to change with the dodge.

I could not, 100% completely disagree more. When we were successful, 2001-2004 seasons, we had great linemen. Booger, Cardwell, Awasom, Brewster, Lineberry, Zuniga, etc......... (someone please name some more). Those are the kinds of guys we need back. I don't know of any o-line or d-linemen we currently have the could win a spot over any of these guys. Love him or hate him, Dickey understood winning the battle in the trenches was the avenue to consistent winning and that's where we've lost our edge, and we need it back!

Oh, I think he could, but he didn't enough. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he recruit Brewster, Zuniga, Lineberry, Kennedy, Awasome, Daniels, Chapman, Banks, Drake, a few JUCO's, etc...? Sure, he took some chances on either grades or other issues, but I think he had to.

The change I see in Dodge versus DD in recruiting is that Dodge is not afraid to compete with bigger programs for some of these young men.

I could not, 100% completely disagree more. When we were successful, 2001-2004 seasons, we had great linemen. Booger, Cardwell, Awasom, Brewster, Lineberry, Zuniga, etc......... (someone please name some more). Those are the kinds of guys we need back. I don't know of any o-line or d-linemen we currently have the could win a spot over any of these guys. Love him or hate him, Dickey understood winning the battle in the trenches was the avenue to consistent winning and that's where we've lost our edge, and we need it back!

With D-line he had two that were great Booger and Awasome. I think Cardwell was good too. In my opinion, I think those that were around Booger were better because of him. As for the O-line he might have one good one on the line... but, not a good unit of guys. Zuniga was great during his time... Lineberry was good at another time. Somewhere in between there we had Andy Brewster that was at his prime. Perhaps if you could put them on one unit we have something special.

When we say he couldn't recruit said position... we are not saying he couldn't bring in a great one here and there. We are saying that he couldn't do it consistently. For example... Based on what we have seen, I know Meager can throw a long ball on a single play. I know he can't do it consistently well. Ergo, we say Meager can't throw the deep ball.

With D-line he had two that were great Booger and Awasome. I think Cardwell was good too. In my opinion, I think those that were around Booger were better because of him.

Darrell Daniels was pure greatness at DE and lets not forget Mike Pruitt. He took over Booger's spot when he left and did an outstanding job. If we had him now everyone would rave about him and call him an all time great, he just had the misfortune of playing right after BK.

Darrell Daniels was pure greatness at DE and lets not forget Mike Pruitt. He took over Booger's spot when he left and did an outstanding job. If we had him now everyone would rave about him and call him an all time great, he just had the misfortune of playing right after BK.

Daniels.. i was trying to think of his name with the earlier post. I liked him a lot. I personally think Mike Pruitt never lived up to the hype when he came in. That may be because I had alot of expectations from him to put up crazy stats. you might be right though. He could be considered greatness if he didn't follow what he followed.

Dickey always had one or two good linemen on either side of the ball. Booger, Awasom, Randle, Zuniga, Brewster, etc. Problem was the dropoff in talent among the 1st team and especially the second team. I'll talk out of both sides of my mouth by saying that last year the 2nd team or Green Team offensive line played superior ball when they were given the chance. If left in during the 2nd half against Louisiana Tech last year we could have notched another win.

I still dream about the glory days of that Willie Ransom, Chase Pistole, Tim Patton, and T.J. "Big Cat" Raymond monster defensive line.

Unfortunately, there's a reason I only get to dream about it.

Wow. Those names right there... I hadn't thought about some of those in quite a while. I remember Raymond being touted as the "Next Big Thing" for our defense.