Dominique Green Update

UNTLifer

Could UNT go Green?

Ok, so North Texas is already Green, but what about Dominique Green?

I have been asked over and over about the cornerback's status the last few weeks. The former starter seemed to be getting more practice time on Tuesday, so I asked head coach Todd Dodge about Green’s status.

Dodge said everyone is getting a look in practice. It wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement for a player who has been in the dog house ever since he arrived for fall practice out of shape, but it did leave the door open for another player to see some time at cornerback. At this point I don't see what Dodge has to lose by giving Green a shot. UNT has been torched in the passing game in each of its first two games.

For more on Green and the Mean Green, see tomorrow's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle, which includes the DR-C's weekly all-sports UNT notebook.

OK...finally, thank you. I just wanted to know the truth (and, yes, I CAN handle the truth). So, he came into Fall camp out of shape. OK, make him do some gasers, run the bleachers, whatever...just get him on the field!

sounds like Dodge just does not trust him, which is fine by me. It appears Green obviously did not train overly hard over the sumemr and if TD is a stickler for discipline then this would explain Green, Gilmore, and probably Banks.

sounds like Dodge just does not trust him, which is fine by me. It appears Green obviously did not train overly hard over the sumemr and if TD is a stickler for discipline then this would explain Green, Gilmore, and probably Banks.

I think we may be forgetting that the first decision maker in this is Coach Mendoza. I suspect that it's his standards that were not being met by Mr. Green, and it's Coach Mendoza's dog house that he needs to get out of before he sees any playing time.

And while I'm on the subject, what is keeping Draylen Ross off the field? As I recall, he came to us last year as a very raw talent, but dripping with potential. I noticed on the official roster, he's listed as 6'3" X 280 lbs. I observed him standing on the sidelines Saturday night, and he looked every bit of that. Now, as I recall, he got into some games last year, so it isn't as if he doesn't have a feel for D-1 football. So, what's the deal with him?

I would also love to know the status of:

Gilmore

Chatman

Owusu-Hemeng

Banks

Johnny....I'm pretty sure that I saw Owusu-Hemeng in the game some the other night. So, I think he is playing. Chatman was suited up...don't think he got in the game.

Not sure about the other two.

Johnny....I'm pretty sure that I saw Owusu-Hemeng in the game some the other night. So, I think he is playing. Chatman was suited up...don't think he got in the game.

Not sure about the other two.

Owusu-Heming did get into the game and when I saw him he was usually around the ball. I think Ross and Sykes are hurt or at least they were right before the OU game.

Owusu-Heming did get into the game and when I saw him he was usually around the ball. I think Ross and Sykes are hurt or at least they were right before the OU game.

I did see Sykes suited up the other night. He was in uniform at the SMU game.

At this point I don't see what Dodge has to lose by giving Green a shot. UNT has been torched in the passing game in each of its first two games.

Understatement of the year so far. Good to see Vitto actually stating it as it is. Mendoza better figure something out soon though, because he will have a hard time at the end of the season if things don't change from where we are now.

Understatement of the year so far. Good to see Vitto actually stating it as it is. Mendoza better figure something out soon though, because he will have a hard time at the end of the season if things don't change from where we are now.

I'm with you.

The defense this far into the season looks pretty weak, and I know it can do better than it has been. I don't know if it's the players or if it's the coach that's at fault. Either way, Mendoza needs to find a system that'll work with the players he does have. The major worry is the defensive line- they can't get pressure up front, and you can have the best secondary in the world, but they'll still get burned up by good WRs and QBs if the defensive line doesn't start pushing the QBs around.

I'm with you.

The defense this far into the season looks pretty weak, and I know it can do better than it has been. I don't know if it's the players or if it's the coach that's at fault. Either way, Mendoza needs to find a system that'll work with the players he does have. The major worry is the defensive line- they can't get pressure up front, and you can have the best secondary in the world, but they'll still get burned up by good WRs and QBs if the defensive line doesn't start pushing the QBs around.

bingo

run some blitz's, stunts.... something. ANYTHING. I mean, if you're going to get torched, might as well have it happen while you're going after the QB.

On defense, I know we have some new faces, some quality veterans, and some carry overs from previous years. I'd like to know how each group is performing, and if known, why a person if not playing. It appears we have some of our best players out right now for various reason?? (injury, dog house, etc.). Can someone with a better knowledge of the roster summarize our defensive players' status, especially the status of our linebackers and secondary.

Edited by chrisfisher

bingo

run some blitz's, stunts.... something. ANYTHING. I mean, if you're going to get torched, might as well have it happen while you're going after the QB.

The defense should be very aggressive. One of the great things about the DeLoach defense was that is was more like a offensive scheme. They didn't wait for things to happen, they made things happen. I'd be fine with our guys getting burned up too if they were blitzing. You know, let's like Evyn Roman redeem himself (not that I think he needs to) by being sent in on a blitz. Have the D come out in a zone with Roman blitzing. He's incredibly fast and even if he doesn't get the QB, I'm sure he'll chase him around a bit.

This is one of the more disappointing early stories of this young season. Dom really showed some ability last season and to have him completely fall off the face of the earth is discouraging. Hopefully he is getting back on track cause we need his size and athleticism.

bingo

See this exactly what the defense should do. Something. At this point just show us SOMETHING. And you are right, if we are going to get torched, at least make an effort to go after the QB.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999