I Must Have Watched A Different Game Than Many

gangrene

I believe we should celebrate "Dodge Ball" in week two. It was not only resiant....exciting....record setting. I know we didn't win. I not hear to bash. But, when is the last time that a crowd stood and clapped for our team when we lost!

I am so pumped...I can't wait for two weeks. EVERYONE is going to get better and better....

ParksAndRecRick

I am gonna say that I think Daniel Meager is and deserves to be our QB (yes, you just saw those words come out of my keyboard).

You can knock him for the three INT's if you want...yes, two of them were bad. You can knock his running around in the pocket...if you'll ignore that it was absolutely necessary due to our inability to pick up a blitz. And if you'll ignore the fact that our offensive line turned first and ten into first and fifteen several times on key drives you can even knock him on being nervous in the pocket.

Here's what you cannot and SHOULD NOT knock him on. Being a gamer. Ladies and Gents your short-term memory must be missing. Last year and any year prior for about, oh I don't know 15 years, we go down to SMU 31-17 after relinquishing a lead and you can start walking to your cars. Instead this team with Daniel Meager at QB drove down the field and tied the damn ballgame. And one of them was 99 yards. Bring me Peyton Manning and I won't guarantee a 99 yard drive. What you saw last night was the first step (I'm hoping and I believe) in the growing up of Daniel Meager. Wait Emmitt, isn't he a Junior and shouldn't he have grown up already? Sure, because handing the ball off to J-Mo is a great way to find yourself as a QB.

I'll be the first to say it. I was wrong. This kid can play and I expect that Todge will have him rockin and rollin come FAU.

Everyone is going gaga over Meager and his passing tonight, but what I mainly witnessed were great catches by the WRs. Nearly all of the long passes were under thrown and the WR was forced to sit and wait for the ball to get there. Yes, his numbers were gaudy but they would have been even better if he could just hit the receivers in stride. That is accomplished by throwing the ball to where the receiver will be if he keeps running rather than throwing to where he is when you decide to throw to him.

It's no secret that I'm not a Meager fan, but I vowed to give him a chance this year since TD named him the starter. Yes I know he threw for 601 yards tonight, but I really haven't seen anything from Meager that I haven't seen in the last two years. He still throws behind the receivers, holds on to the ball too long and panics in the pocket.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Vizza but, from what I have seen, he tends to do a better job looking downfield and hitting recievers in stride and he doesn't panic when the pocket starts to collapse.

Also, SMU's defense looked really bad and if they don't get it together they're going to rank higher than us for most points allowed per game.

Great post!

It is absolutley ridiculous to lay this loss on Meager. The TEAM lost the game not any one player. Meager played his a$$ of along with every other player on our team. Dodge expects no less. We witnessed one of the greatest offensive displays in school history and everyone wants to focus on Meager's interceptions as the reason for the loss. How about Kelvin Drake snapping the ball three miles all the way back to the 26 yard line. Want to bench him? How about Fitz dropping a sure touchdown when we are up 14-3. Want to bench him? SMU's punter had a better average than Spencer. How about we bench him. Mendoza didn't run his pick back for a touchdown like SMU did. He should ride the pine for sure. Give these guys a chance. We wouldn't have even been in position to win if it weren't for Meagers play to get us to that point. The loss hurts but let's all step back and take a dose of reality. The entire team lost this game and I assure you that they will be working for the next 2 weeks to correct their mistakes and improve. Watch out FAwho because their will be some angry Eagles that come down upon you at Fouts Field.

I think there's a story some can tell on the board about a wrinkled $100 bill.

I am gonna say that I think Daniel Meager is and deserves to be our QB (yes, you just saw those words come out of my keyboard).

You can knock him for the three INT's if you want...yes, two of them were bad. You can knock his running around in the pocket...if you'll ignore that it was absolutely necessary due to our inability to pick up a blitz. And if you'll ignore the fact that our offensive line turned first and ten into first and fifteen several times on key drives you can even knock him on being nervous in the pocket.

Here's what you cannot and SHOULD NOT knock him on. Being a gamer. Ladies and Gents your short-term memory must be missing. Last year and any year prior for about, oh I don't know 15 years, we go down to SMU 31-17 after relinquishing a lead and you can start walking to your cars. Instead this team with Daniel Meager at QB drove down the field and tied the damn ballgame. And one of them was 99 yards. Bring me Peyton Manning and I won't guarantee a 99 yard drive. What you saw last night was the first step (I'm hoping and I believe) in the growing up of Daniel Meager. Wait Emmitt, isn't he a Junior and shouldn't he have grown up already? Sure, because handing the ball off to J-Mo is a great way to find yourself as a QB.

I'll be the first to say it. I was wrong. This kid can play and I expect that Todge will have him rockin and rollin come FAU.

Holy $hit, an emmitt post about MEAGER with nary a negative word. The world must be coming to an end.

I had to listen to the game...makes me so mad...let's start having some day games!

In listening to the game, I kept thinking, is this a North Texas offense? Good grief, I thought I was listening to one of the old BYU teams or something. That offense rocked and Meager did a heck of a job. I don't care who is playing QB, Dodge will have them ready. I am not worried about that in the least. If Dodge thinks DM is the one right now, then just let him make the decision and back it. It is our defense that needs to return to its previous form. Boy, do we miss some of those playmakers. I know this defense can do it, they are just going to have to jell and make it happen.

When was the last time that we had an offense that was going to have to carry the defense?! As long as I have been a UNT follower, it has always been the other way around. I have to say that it is refreshing to think that everytime the offense steps on the field, the defense had better look out! I like it.

You've got to be kidding me.

Yes, there were great catches by the WR's (mainly Fitz and B-Jac), but did you choose to ignore the passes that were thrown precisely where only the WR could catch them....and in tight coverage? On some of those long passes it was very clear that DM was showing confidence that Fitz and B-Jac could beat his man for the ball. But don't we see that all the time with all-conference (and all-pro) QB's throwing to their best (and most competitive) receivers?

I saw less nervousness in the pocket on the part of DM than I ever seen. Any time he ran, it was because he had no other option and/or it was a designed play. You've also made the decision to ignore that touchdown pass that DM threw with a DE in his face.

If DM had had some help from the defense, we would be celebrating our second victory in a row over SMU and the first of many victories for Todd Dodge.

geezz

DM did his job last night, and it's easily said that the WRs did an outstanding job. I know he threw some poor passes late in the game, but come on, he's throwing more passes in one night than UNT QBs have probably thrown in 3-4 games...translation:

HE WILL BE TIRED.

It's almost unfair to expect someone to not be tired after throwing as many passes as he did last night. About 5min into the 4th, I was thinking it was time to put Vizza in for at least a series or two to let DM rest. As for who to blame for the loss, it's a little bit of everyone's fault. Bad OL penalties, bad passes, missed catches, and a few missed defensive opportunities. If anything, it sounds like any other game with a close loss.

DM did his job last night, and it's easily said that the WRs did an outstanding job. I know he threw some poor passes late in the game, but come on, he's throwing more passes in one night than UNT QBs have probably thrown in 3-4 games...translation:

HE WILL BE TIRED.

It's almost unfair to expect someone to not be tired after throwing as many passes as he did last night. About 5min into the 4th, I was thinking it was time to put Vizza in for at least a series or two to let DM rest. As for who to blame for the loss, it's a little bit of everyone's fault. Bad OL penalties, bad passes, missed catches, and a few missed defensive opportunities. If anything, it sounds like any other game with a close loss.

Though I disagree a lot on whether or not Meager can get the job done, I will say that he is not the single reason we lost. Many many reasons why, but he did have a good game, minus the two bad picks at the most critical time of the game, tired arm or not. I believe most of the loss falls on the shoulders of the Defense. I will give them a pass in the OU game, but SMU I won't. That Defense made very little changes from the last game as far as I could tell.

Whether you like Meager or not, you can't deny he had a personal best. No, he's not THE reason UNT lost, there's plenty of reasons, most of which can be fixed.

But, why the hate?

He's the man TD chose, and until Coach changes his mind (if he does), we should publicly support him.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Look at it this way, he got a whole season's worth of practice throwing the ball in game as compared to the last couple years.

Got to be able to run the ball SOME. O line at some points offered protection but not consistent enough.

Defense applies no pressure. Often soft coverage. Need to be MUCH more aggressive.

Credit SMU for making adjustment to bring the heat. It worked.

Nice comeback to tie at 31.

Good showing by fans especially after last week.

That was an entertaining game to watch, but both teams have a lot of room for improvement. Overall I'm optimistic that we'll see a lot of improvement.

Ok, maybe I'm one of those MF'ers DD was talking about but, the last time I checked, the object of the game was to have the most points when time expires in the 4th quarter.

I had a great time at the game and it was definitely one of the most exciting games I've ever witnessed in person. By no means do I place the blame for this loss squarely on the shoulders of DM. Our defense is pathetic and we really have no business winning a game when they give up 38 points (that last 7 was all on Meager) and to SMU no less. The offensive fireworks were a lot of fun to watch but when you attempt the most passes ever in the history of the program, shouldn't you also expect to have the most completions and the most yards ever as results??? Here's a shocking stat: Meager averaged one yard per completion more than Justin Willis did in yards per pass average. How many more times in the next few years will those records fall?? This is Dodgeball...expect similar results the rest of the year but don't be satisfied with putting up big stats in losing causes against teams we should be beating. SMU looked really, really bad against the pass...Texas Tech completed 50 of 66 pass attempts against SMU. They only had 473 passing yards that game but I have no doubt they could had more yards had they really needed or wanted them...being up 42-6 early in the 4th quarter gave them a luxury we didn't have. I'll be extremely surprised if SMU has a winning season this year...forget about their dream to go bowling.

I repeat I do not place the blame of this loss solely on DM. However, we were still in position to win the game late in the 4th quarter and his interceptions were very costly mistakes. I think I've made it painfully clear what my complaints with DM are so I won't repeat them. I was pissed last night when we lost because we were so close to pulling it out. I don't like losing to SMU and I don't like being 0-2. I HATE LOSING. I know, I know...I'm an impatient SOB.

With all the under/over throws, Meager played well enough to win the game (minus the last 4:19) but we have too many other problems with our defense that must be addressed ASAP. I can live with the underthrown passes for completions, I can live with a few of the false starts on key plays and I can even live with giving the opponents the ball at the 30 yard line after every kick-off. What I can't live with is giving up an average of 62 points per game and 3 INTs/game...especially when those INTs are so crucial to the game's outcome.

I love my alma mater just as much as any of you and I'm very anxious to gain some respect in the college football arena. The broken records from last night's game are already creating a lot of attention in the area but a comment from a friend of mine reminds me how far we still have to go to gain the respect I want. He asked how the game went and said he heard that we had a lot of passing yards, then he asked what the score of the SMU-UNT game was last year. When I said 24-6, his reaction was of disbelief that we dominated them last year and then lost 45-31 this year. Bottomline is, we'll all remember the records because we're the Mean Green Nation but the rest of the world that follows college football will only remember the score. That friend then went on to say how happy he was that Boise State lost because now his alma mater, Texas Tech, is one team closer to being ranked.

Why does it matter what the rushing stats are? The route combos Dodge was calling were moving the ball up and down the field all night...why stop? If that would not have been there for the taking like it was, Dodge would have run more and those stats would have been better. Dodge has an offense that can attack any weakness, and last night that weakness was clearly through the air.

I blame Roman's hair for this.

And Mendoza's Cover 1.

Ok, maybe I'm one of those MF'ers DD was talking about but, the last time I checked, the object of the game was to have the most points when time expires in the 4th quarter.

I had a great time at the game and it was definitely one of the most exciting games I've ever witnessed in person. By no means do I place the blame for this loss squarely on the shoulders of DM. Our defense is pathetic and we really have no business winning a game when they give up 38 points (that last 7 was all on Meager) and to SMU no less. The offensive fireworks were a lot of fun to watch but when you attempt the most passes ever in the history of the program, shouldn't you also expect to have the most completions and the most yards ever as results??? Here's a shocking stat: Meager averaged one yard per completion more than Justin Willis did in yards per pass average. How many more times in the next few years will those records fall?? This is Dodgeball...expect similar results the rest of the year but don't be satisfied with putting up big stats in losing causes against teams we should be beating. SMU looked really, really bad against the pass...Texas Tech completed 50 of 66 pass attempts against SMU. They only had 473 passing yards that game but I have no doubt they could had more yards had they really needed or wanted them...being up 42-6 early in the 4th quarter gave them a luxury we didn't have. I'll be extremely surprised if SMU has a winning season this year...forget about their dream to go bowling.

I repeat I do not place the blame of this loss solely on DM. However, we were still in position to win the game late in the 4th quarter and his interceptions were very costly mistakes. I think I've made it painfully clear what my complaints with DM are so I won't repeat them. I was pissed last night when we lost because we were so close to pulling it out. I don't like losing to SMU and I don't like being 0-2. I HATE LOSING. I know, I know...I'm an impatient SOB.

With all the under/over throws, Meager played well enough to win the game (minus the last 4:19) but we have too many other problems with our defense that must be addressed ASAP. I can live with the underthrown passes for completions, I can live with a few of the false starts on key plays and I can even live with giving the opponents the ball at the 30 yard line after every kick-off. What I can't live with is giving up an average of 62 points per game and 3 INTs/game...especially when those INTs are so crucial to the game's outcome.

I love my alma mater just as much as any of you and I'm very anxious to gain some respect in the college football arena. The broken records from last night's game are already creating a lot of attention in the area but a comment from a friend of mine reminds me how far we still have to go to gain the respect I want. He asked how the game went and said he heard that we had a lot of passing yards, then he asked what the score of the SMU-UNT game was last year. When I said 24-6, his reaction was of disbelief that we dominated them last year and then lost 45-31 this year. Bottomline is, we'll all remember the records because we're the Mean Green Nation but the rest of the world that follows college football will only remember the score. That friend then went on to say how happy he was that Boise State lost because now his alma mater, Texas Tech, is one team closer to being ranked.

Again, another great post. It is about winning not stats.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

I could unterstand and tolorate the loss to OU, but I cant be happy with a loss to SMU win we have chances to win in the fourth quarter and blow them by costly mistakes.

If we get beat, we get beat, sometimes their just isnt anything you can do about it, but when you lose a game becuase you made mistakes then I am not happy, and never will be.

Emmitt, your powers of persuasion are just to great. I have no choice but to see things your way on this issue..... B)

Seriously, when the conversation/controversy was going hot and heavy during the spring/summer, my main stance was to see how DM and the other QB's performed after they got some real coaching.

We just saw the results of real coaching/teaching last night. ;)

Why is it not okay to be excited?

No one is dwelling on them like a win. Everyone wants to see improvement....especially on D. Especially on D.

And everyone wants to see the game end with UNT owning the higher point total. Stop spinning things against us, please? We're just having fun. That's the point, right? You can be the cheerleader fan, or you can be the couch-coach fan, but first and foremost I hope we're all UNT fans.

I'm concerned about the run and concerned about our pass coverage, but stirring up shight on a message board?...well. whatever. Do what you want. But please, PLEASE, don't call in the radio show or email and ask the ballzy questions to the man himself. ;)

I will totally agree with this argument. You are dead on. The second we run into a good coverage team deep is the second that we can't recover from those god awful false start penalties.

If you were at the game Meager had a lot of really good throws. I have not been a fan of his but he does deserve some credit. Even Peyton Manning's receivers make him the qb that he is. That is the receivers job to catch the ball. The QB'S job is to get the ball where he has the best chance to catch it. Let's give him a chance and enjoy the excitement that it might bring. GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

If DM had had some help from the defense, we would be celebrating our second victory in a row over SMU and the first of many victories for Todd Dodge.

geezz

With some perspective on the game, I can admit that DM has improved a great deal. He did make some good plays and definately played hard. And one can certainly fault the defense for giving up so many points. Though I think it is important to note that they did not give up 45 points, they gave up 38. Those extra 7 came on a Meager pick.

And the defense did give DM some help. He could have helped them right back. Twice after the defense made a play to get us the ball on a turnover, DM threw a pick within one or two plays. It really can wear out a defense when they only get 1 minute of rest after taking the ball away. Not to mention disheartening. That what was frustrating me the most about his performance. Momentum switches like that cannot be underestimated.

Folks, like a lot of you, I went to the SMU game...and my wife and I had a great time. It was too bad we lost...we did play well enough to win...but, for me...we played with heart and we played until the very end. I did not see any "give up" in the Mean Green. And, for my $27.00 per ticket, I saw DM paly a fine game. Did he do everything right, no...but, he did plenty enough right to be on the winning side of that game. That 99 yard drive was a beauty...do you remember "Dickey ball"????? I have said many times...this year, I'm not looking for so many "W's"...I am looking for an exciting team to watch and a team that plays with heart and all out all the time. Yep, scondary got burned, yep, not much pass rush, yep a couple of bad reads by DM...But, for me...I was glad I saw this game in person. Lots to be happy about, so don't get your nose in a snit. This Dodge-ball thing will take some time. We begged for passing the last few years...well we got 600+ yards Saturday night and some foks still aren't happy. Chill, support the team and support the coaching staff...it will come around and the MEan Green will once again WIN BIG and WIN OFTEN. If one part of the team needs work, Dodge will see that it gets work...he did not win all those HS games at Southlake-Carroll because he ignored everything except tje offense. He is the head coach.

It is a GREAT time to be a Mean Green fan. Let's just be there and support this program. Lots of time to see what happens and way too early to get one's "panties" in any type of wad!

I have seen us play OU in Norman and SMU in Dallas...and things are looking so much better than they have the last few years. FILL FOUTS FIELD!!!!! Supporrt the team.

AND, my thanks to everyone who showed up in Norman and at SMU. It's great to look up and see so much green in the stands. Thanks to SMU for not spreading us out all over the place like OU did. HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!

No, I do not have my head in the sand...I am just taking it as it comes this yearand it's getting better and better all the time! :D

Folks, like a lot of you, I went to the SMU game...and my wife and I had a great time. It was too bad we lost...we did play well enough to win...but, for me...we played with heart and we played until the very end. I did not see any "give up" in the Mean Green. And, for my $27.00 per ticket, I saw DM paly a fine game. Did he do everything right, no...but, he did plenty enough right to be on the winning side of that game. That 99 yard drive was a beauty...do you remember "Dickey ball"????? I have said many times...this year, I'm not looking for so many "W's"...I am looking for an exciting team to watch and a team that plays with heart and all out all the time. Yep, scondary got burned, yep, not much pass rush, yep a couple of bad reads by DM...But, for me...I was glad I saw this game in person. Lots to be happy about, so don't get your nose in a snit. This Dodge-ball thing will take some time. We begged for passing the last few years...well we got 600+ yards Saturday night and some foks still aren't happy. Chill, support the team and support the coaching staff...it will come around and the MEan Green will once again WIN BIG and WIN OFTEN. If one part of the team needs work, Dodge will see that it gets work...he did not win all those HS games at Southlake-Carroll because he ignored everything except tje offense. He is the head coach.

It is a GREAT time to be a Mean Green fan. Let's just be there and support this program. Lots of time to see what happens and way too early to get one's "panties" in any type of wad!

I have seen us play OU in Norman and SMU in Dallas...and things are looking so much better than they have the last few years. FILL FOUTS FIELD!!!!! Supporrt the team.

AND, my thanks to everyone who showed up in Norman and at SMU. It's great to look up and see so much green in the stands. Thanks to SMU for not spreading us out all over the place like OU did. HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!

No, I do not have my head in the sand...I am just taking it as it comes this yearand it's getting better and better all the time! :D

Right on with all but one...and I think it may actually be a positive. Now, I wasn't at the game...but I saw very few if any bad reads from Danny...it was the execution on the throws...over and under-throws...that cost him. I felt he had a very good grasp of the offense and if he tightens up those few miss throws we could be both exciting and winning.

Great post and great perspective!!!

Dynasties aren't built over night!!

Here's my one complaint: the NT "fans" who left after Meager threw the INT that got run back, making it 45-31 with 3:39 left in the game. Someday, you will learn your lesson. I hope it isn't the hard way.

As if the previous 56:21 hadn't shown you already, THIS IS NOT DD's OFFENSE!!! There was still PLENTY of time left in the game. But for a ridiculously high snap when NT was knocking on the door for yet another Mean Green TD, there would have been an onside kick and a better-than-average chance NT would have been able to get the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead. I know it didn't turn out that way, but how many of you who had left would have claimed to have been there if it had???

Considering this was the first game for many of you with this offense, I guess you can get a pass...just don't let it happen again...I would hate for any of you to break your ankles while turning back to your seats to watch a comeback you almost walked out of... ;)

Edited by Greenblood94

Here's my one complaint: the NT "fans" who left after Meager threw the INT that got run back, making it 45-31 with 3:39 left in the game. Someday, you will learn your lesson. I hope it isn't the hard way.

As if the previous 56:21 hadn't shown you already, THIS IS NOT DD's OFFENSE!!! There was still PLENTY of time left in the game. But for a ridiculously high snap when NT was knocking on the door for yet another Mean Green TD, there would have been an onside kick and a better-than-average chance NT would have been able to get the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead. I know it didn't turn out that way, but how many of you who had left would have claimed to have been there if it had???

Considering this was the first game for many of you with this offense, I guess you can get a pass...just don't let it happen again...I would hate for any of you to break your ankles while turning back to your seats to watch a comeback you almost walked out of... ;)

I am glad you brought this up - I was shocked at how many people where leaving. I was like "we just got through score two quick times to tie the game, there is still a LOT of time left in this game to come back." Oh well, they will learn.

I almost left years ago when Denton Ryan was 4th and 40 from their own 5, down 14 points to Ennis, with less than 3 minutes, but decided to stay, and was sooooooooooooo glad I did.