Besides The Band Looking Like Crap.

RETSO

I though the Williams post was too serious but someone did mentioned a garage sale so I thought we may be able to collect and sale enough JORTS to pay for new matching band shorts. I think all of mine are gone but I may beable to dig up a pair. Now I 've just gotta figure our who's going to buy all those JORTS.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I'm anti JORTS and tucked in jersey but I didn't realize the braided belt was really out.

Honestly i can't remember the last time i saw a braided belt for sale in clothing store, so i am going to guess they have been out since the last time that i saw one there, don't remember when that was though.....

You're showing a disappointing lack of class and manners. If you want customized summer uniforms and UNT-printed drum heads, write the U a check for them.

To blast the band is just immature.

I disagree,

everybody is entitled to their own opinion and I do not think its classless. If you are going to be in a band (albeit school marching band) then you should always expect people to critique/criticize you. We have no problem pointing out that a certain player stunk it up in a game or season or hell even DD even though he did lead us to 4 straight NO Bowls. I dont think anybody is here to publicly slander the band.....they are just giving their observations so what is wrong with that?? Many times we need things like that because that can start changes, upgrading etc. So I am all for everybody expressing opinions whether positive, negative etc. Thats the whole point of this board.

Well I saw that the OU band and I recognized teh OU logo that they spelled out and loved the support they gave the school. But now when the GB of UNT got out there and started marching around I couldn't help but think that ppl were out of place because when you looked at them from the arial view there was nothing but people here and people there and nothing was spelled out and certainly no logo. Is it too hard to spell out UNT or an eagle design?

The braided belt needs to be replaced with a thick brown leather belt that has a silver clasp. See example: http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/category.jhtml?id=cat220091&navAction=jump hahaha, good thing you guys have a girl around to help out.

I wear that type of belt when I dress up in nice slacks, you know, sport coat type dressup. I also see golfers wear these types of belts that includes their university emblems evenly spaced the length of the belt. Too much heavy metal for my tastes. Braided belts are still good for chino shorts IMHO. If braided is out, then I'll have start wearing my genuine lizard or alligator belts and start a new fad when wearing chino shorts. :lol:

Well I saw that the OU band and I recognized teh OU logo that they spelled out and loved the support they gave the school. But now when the GB of UNT got out there and started marching around I couldn't help but think that ppl were out of place because when you looked at them from the arial view there was nothing but people here and people there and nothing was spelled out and certainly no logo. Is it too hard to spell out UNT or an eagle design?

Actually the band spells out the "University of North Texas at Denton.. the 3rd biggest school in Texas" You just can't make it out because we are 50 - 60 yards from the sideline and not high enough. But man, those Navy planes that fly over us in a couple of months are going to be impressed.

I'm not disappointed in the band at all. They stayed lively the whole game through. It was damn hot out there, I had to sit down myself because I got too hot and short of breath.

I will also say that my only complaint about the band at last year's UT game has been fixed. I saw not one UNT band member with an OU hat on which made me happy.

Go Mean Green! Go Green Brigade!

I thought the band SOUNDED great. I made the comment to a friend that we were even losing the battle during the halftime show, though I wasnt really referring to the music, I was graciously informed by a lady sitting behind me that the music they were playing was far more difficult than OU's. I'm sure that's true. Wouldnt think to argue that as I dont know enough about the technical music stuff related to the music chosen to have an opinion one way or the other but I do know that the shorts, black tennis shoes and socks with t-shirts looked like crap compared to OU's uniforms. I dont care how hot it was, OU managed fine. Their performance was just more entertaining.

wow! I can't believe I missed the JORTS thread! Should we call in Jerry Lewis to run a JORTS benefit telethon?

No telethon yet, but there is website to help with JORTS epidemic.

www.jorts.com

Lets hope we have no JORTS in the crowd Saturady in Dallas, if so you may wind up on the website.

No telethon yet, but there is website to help with JORTS epidemic.

www.jorts.com

Lets hope we have no JORTS in the crowd Saturady in Dallas, if so you may wind up on the website.

Plenty of jorts at the Spring Game: http://tysports.blogspot.com/2007/04/todd-dodges-jorts.html

I love living in a realm where realizing that a team transitioning to a passing offense with mismatched talent from an old system would struggle early against the best team in he Big 12. It's like seeing a storm cloud and telling people they might be getting wet soon.

Here's the problem with the band. No one cares to see a stupid showing of some classical crap. All we want to see is the eagle logo formed while playing a song we know. That's what every other band in the country does. I hate watching the halftime show and feeling like I haven't left high school. Do a UNT or a SOW, turn to the student section and play loud one time through, run on the field, just do something that is entertaining.

Also, could we, as a "music" school, not put more people out there? We looked small out there.

And yes, our ugly white shirts and mismatched kacki pants looked terrible.

BRD

Here's the problem with the band. No one cares to see a stupid showing of some classical crap. All we want to see is the eagle logo formed while playing a song we know. That's what every other band in the country does. I hate watching the halftime show and feeling like I haven't left high school. Do a UNT or a SOW, turn to the student section and play loud one time through, run on the field, just do something that is entertaining.

Also, could we, as a "music" school, not put more people out there? We looked small out there.

BRD

Actually at the Texas game they were complaining that all the band did was make a logo, play the fight song and walk off.

So, good point.

BRD

Well, that's just, like, your opinion man.

Image27.jpg

BRD

i completely gagree! i'll admit that people are going to have different opinions out there but the halftime show that the GB produced took me back to high school. the band looking sloppy as all get out playing a song that no on recognizes then playing 'proud mary' or somesuch for the drill team. thanks for the support and everything, but how about some tradition? maybe the OU drum major's stepping is wheels off, but it's cool and everyone cheers when he comes out.

i also agree with the numbers. i'll guarantee there are high school bands that have more members. what are the marching band requirements of our music students? if our student body is the third biggest in the state and we boast about our music program, why does it not show on the biggest stage (yes, football is the biggest stage)?

is it difficult to put on green shirts and order some matching shorts? i understand about the heat and i wouldn't have been caught in a heavy uniform at that game but how about a band field trip to ross to buy matching shorts? it seemed like the new jerseys and coaches shirts looked very sharp but it didn't continue to the band.

maybe i was frustrated by the game too much, but i was very dissapointed in the halftime show.

i completely gagree! i'll admit that people are going to have different opinions out there but the halftime show that the GB produced took me back to high school. the band looking sloppy as all get out playing a song that no on recognizes then playing 'proud mary' or somesuch for the drill team. thanks for the support and everything, but how about some tradition? maybe the OU drum major's stepping is wheels off, but it's cool and everyone cheers when he comes out.

i also agree with the numbers. i'll guarantee there are high school bands that have more members. what are the marching band requirements of our music students? if our student body is the third biggest in the state and we boast about our music program, why does it not show on the biggest stage (yes, football is the biggest stage)?

is it difficult to put on green shirts and order some matching shorts? i understand about the heat and i wouldn't have been caught in a heavy uniform at that game but how about a band field trip to ross to buy matching shorts? it seemed like the new jerseys and coaches shirts looked very sharp but it didn't continue to the band.

maybe i was frustrated by the game too much, but i was very dissapointed in the halftime show.

I missed the halftime show at OU, but I've always thought that the band puts on a good performance. Granted, my first few years at NT, the marching was a bit sloppy and the flag corp dropped more flags than they caught, but it has drastically improved throughout the years. I don't really have a problem with the band playing something I don't recognize, as long as it's catchy. And if the band seems a bit "high schoolish," well, that's not necessarily a bad thing either. If it weren't entertaining, DCI and other competitions wouldn't exist. Maybe you don't like it, but there are plenty who do.

A great example, I think is from our first New Orleans bowl in 2001. As a school known specifically for their jazz program (you know, that "classical-like" crap that no one recognizes), a spicy jazz number was an excellent choice for the show. Not only that, musically, the band was lights out. The crowd loved it, the announcers loved it, and even the opposing team's fans loved it (I went to the NOB three out of four years, and all three years, a Memphis, CO State, or Cinncy fan would comment after the game about how good our band was).

Not being a band member, I'm not sure what the requirements are for marching band, but my guess is that it's not required. My guess is that you've never been in band, and so you don't appreciate the hours of marching practice in the hot sun, working on drill and the music, while keeping time with your feet (especially hard with a syncopated rhythmn!) and walking around while carrying a big piece of metal, all the while trying to make some recognizeable shape. If it's a volunteer thing, then you should be thankful we've got the members we have, because there's a huge demand on their time.

Edited by untgirl04

The problem is that we don't care how difficult the music is or how much time was put into the marching. It comes back to tradition and entertainment. Every big time school has something about there band that makes everyone get pumped up (UT's big drum, OU's drum major, A&M's stupid lines crossing). At halftime no one wants to leave because that's part of the experience. Everyone stands and cheers as the band takes the field not because it's a new show they've never seen before but because it's a tradition that always happens. I think our band gets too wrapped up in trying to impress rather than trying to entertain. When Paul McCartney goes on tour I'm sure he gets sick of playing all those old Beatles songs over and over again and I'm sure he would love to play his new stuff for an entire set. But he knows what his audience wants to hear and he plans his set accordingly. I know I will get blasted by everyone who argues how hard and difficult our bands shows are but I would ask why they are performing. Is it to receive praise (none coming from me) or is it to entertain?

BRD

The problem is that we don't care how difficult the music is or how much time was put into the marching. It comes back to tradition and entertainment. Every big time school has something about there band that makes everyone get pumped up (UT's big drum, OU's drum major, A&M's stupid lines crossing). At halftime no one wants to leave because that's part of the experience. Everyone stands and cheers as the band takes the field not because it's a new show they've never seen before but because it's a tradition that always happens. I think our band gets too wrapped up in trying to impress rather than trying to entertain. When Paul McCartney goes on tour I'm sure he gets sick of playing all those old Beatles songs over and over again and I'm sure he would love to play his new stuff for an entire set. But he knows what his audience wants to hear and he plans his set accordingly. I know I will get blasted by everyone who argues how hard and difficult our bands shows are but I would ask why they are performing. Is it to receive praise (none coming from me) or is it to entertain?

BRD

exactly! are they trying to impress their parents and other music students or are they trying to support the football team. i beg you to ask a marching band member at UT if they go on the field trying to play the pants off the other band. i contend that they're so excited about the football game that all they really care about is having fun and getting the crowd excited with whatever that song is that they always play. obviously, i don't know much about what i'm talking about, but i think that means i'm exactly who they should be performing for. it's time for NT to stop assuming everyone wants to increase their knowledge of music. many of us just don't care!

If I woke up out of a year long coma to read this thread, I'd know instantly that the season had started and we were 0-1. This topic is like an annual right of passage for us or something.

Nothing is worse after a 79-10 drilling (or whatever our 1st game debacle usually ends up being) than to hear "....at least our band kicked their band's ass." Sad, very, very sad.

Keith