Utah State Fans Very Upset

GreenFlag

The NCAA D1-A coaching network can be very influential as far as who gets recommended for whatever jobs (at that level) when the openings start happening, including assistant jobs, too.

As one alum reminded me this morning, Bob Tyler, a UNT HFC for 1 very forgettable year (1981) had letters of recommendation to our (then) UNT HFC's selection committee from none other than Paul "Bear" Bryant and Darrell K. Royal. The UNT coaches selection committee probably all but peed on themselves when those 2 icon's letters made their conference table. Those 2 letters (alone) probably ended our coaches search back in 1981. Hindsight (always 20/20) now tells us it shouldn't have ended our search.

Sad fact of the matter was that our coaches searching committee still (apparently) did no follow-up research at all concerning Bob Tyler (even after receiving the letters from Bryant and Royal); that is, what a closer follow-up with MSU officials may have created a change of heart because of what really happened with Tyler in his closing days at Mississippi State. As the story goes from post-hiring and firing research from some UNT leaders, Coach Tyler had to be physically removed from his MSU HFC's office once his contract had not been renewed and he had been fired.

Said it many times back when anti-DD''ers who posted regularly on GMG.com probably could have been counted on 1 (or maybe 2 hands), but for those who don't think DD's dad (former KSU HFC Jim Dickey) didn't have some powerful influence with Kansas St. alum and UNT AD Craig Helwig for his journeyman assistant football coach son to get the UNT job and then............ get our job with probably one of the quickest hires post-firing of any HFC predeccesor in NCAA history, there very well could be some ocean front property out here in Parker County that I'd gladly sell very cheap.

Looking back at many of our hires at UNT from past decades, many of us are just glad we still have an athletic program with varsity football. Those who get emotionally attached to athletic officials from any era at UNT should know that their own judgements of what we really need at UNT for us to grow can be very clouded. We have to think that we most always hire good & decent people on the UNT payroll, but wouldn't it be nice for us all if those with such positive traits were productive at the level we need them to be at this time in our school's "boom growth" history?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

A couple of the Utah State forum members are pissed off that we warned them about DD and turned on UNT posters and ridiculed our school. There is even one idiot from UNT bad mouthing UNT (I guess he doesn't realize the joke is on him... he attends and will receive his degree from the school he ridicules... what a moron). Utah State fans should turn on DD and admin that brought him in, not on us. The most obvious question Utah State fans should ask: "If DD is such a great head coach and accomplished so many wonderful things at UNT, why then did he not get offers for a new head coach position?" No team in America wanted his brand of boring ass, non-innovative, ram it down the gut, keep 8 men in the box football. I actually feel sorry for Utah State, and say, "Good Luck Utah State!" You will need plenty of it.

the one guy is bashing us for only winning the lowly SunBelt. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Utah State ever won the SunBelt.

2003 3-4 in the Sun Belt three way tie for fourth.

2004 2-5 in the Sun Belt three way tie for last.

So no titles for USU in the Sun Belt and a 5-9 record in league play.

Maybe we should stop making fun of Utah State, and start worrying about our own problems.

Who was making fun of them? They were told that what they saw the other night was the same thing we saw for 9 years. How is that making fun of them?