Vizza Doesn't Regret Decision

MeanGreen61

Football: Vizza not fazed by prospect of QB rival

Freshman says he's happy Riley Dodge selected UNT

11:39 PM CDT on Thursday, August 9, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Giovanni Vizza's outlook on his future at North Texas hasn't changed much since he signed with the Mean Green in February.

Vizza was ready to compete for the starting job his first year at UNT and every year after. That competition will just be a whole lot more interesting after Riley Dodge, the son of new Mean Green head coach Todd Dodge, decided to play for his father.

Riley will be a senior at Southlake Carroll this fall and will be a part of UNT''s 2008 recruiting class.

"It didn't make me think twice when I found out that Riley was coming here," Vizza said. "You always have to go through competition. That is how college football is. Coaches bring in people who they think can compete and make the team better every year."

For a while, it appeared as if Vizza would be by far the most prominent quarterback to commit to the Mean Green this year.

The former San Antonio Alamo Heights quarterback signed with UNT on Feb. 7, just days before Riley Dodge orally committed to Texas on Feb. 24.

Riley changed his mind over the summer, setting up what could be a heated quarterback battle beginning next season. Riley was named the Associated Press Class 5A Offensive Player of the Year in 2006 after leading Carroll to Class 5A Division I state title.

Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine named Vizza the offensive player of the year for the state regardless of classification for his performance while leading Alamo Heights to the 2006 Class 4A Division I state title.

Vizza originally committed to Nevada, but changed his mind after Todd Dodge took over at UNT, even though he knew he could end up competing for a starting job with the head coach's son.

"I don't think it was too big of a shock that Riley decided to come here," Vizza said. "Who wouldn't want to play for their father?"

The addition of Riley Dodge will make the quarterback competition at UNT that much more intense beginning next season. Vizza believes that competition will benefit UNT in the long run.

"I was happy when I found out that Riley is coming," Vizza said. "It will be good for the team to have competition. That will make everyone work harder and be a better player."

Todd Dodge declined to comment on what he told Vizza about his son committing to UNT because he cannot discuss a recruit who has not yet signed with the Mean Green.

Vizza has more immediate concerns than competing with Riley Dodge this fall. He is already in a heated battle with the rest of UNT's current quarterbacks for the starting job. Todd Dodge said he would give Vizza an opportunity to compete with veterans Daniel Meager, Nathan Tune, Matt Phillips and Woody Wilson for the starting spot in his freshman year.

"I told [our returning quarterbacks] we had signed a quarterback and he would have an opportunity when he steps on campus," Todd Dodge said.

Vizza, who has talked to Riley Dodge on a few occasions, could play this season or spend the year as a redshirt. The decision is one Vizza said he would leave up to Todd Dodge and the rest of the Mean Green's coaching staff.

For now, Vizza is just enjoying his opportunity to adapt to the college game.

"I am enjoying practice," Vizza said. "I was glad to get up here early in the summer and meet everyone. That helped me out, getting to know all the receivers. In terms of practice right now, I am just having fun and competing."

UNT to practice in full pads

UNT will practice in full pads for the first time this fall during its 3:30 p.m. workout today at the Mean Green Athletic Center.

UNT spent the first four days of practice in partial pads.

"There is a lot more that we can do once we get into full pads," Todd Dodge said. "We will be able to learn more about our running backs and our offensive and defensive lines."

Getting into pads for the first time is an opportunity UNT's players have been looking forward to since practice began.

"You always get excited with every step that brings the season closer," quarterback Daniel Meager said. "Getting into pads is an important step for us."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Edited by MeanGreen61

This is why all the Woody Wilson/Daniel Meager banter has to end...

QUOTE(emmitt01 @ Aug 10 2007, 02:38 AM)

If that is true I don't think I want him on the team very badly. So I hope it's not.

It is going to lead to CRAZY misunderstood rumors, which are worse than the normal rumors on this board.

Seriously though, can't we put the WW/DM crap aside...it is a dead horse. Let the CRAP die!

regarding the thread title--- NOR SHOULD HE. There's no guarantee Riley will take Vizza's job, if Vizza earns the starter spot. Dodge is gonna go with the guy that gets him the W. Riley's situation is similar to Kendall Briles at UH. Both recruited as ATH to UT, decided to go play with their dads. Briles didnt play QB once Kolb was there, but it still worked out really well for them. It will also work out really well for us, regardless of what role Riley plays.

Edited by Eagle1855

Wide open offense, wide open competition

Clay Byington

Issue date: 8/9/07 Section: NEWS

Media Credit: Kyle Phillips

"It's Wide Open." The NT football team couldn't have chosen a more fitting slogan for the 2007 season.

The slogan can be used to describe the new no-huddle offense that Todd Dodge, head football coach, is bringing to NT or the quarterbacks' race that is heating up as the first game of the season draws near. In a press conference Tuesday, Dodge said to the media in attendance that he sat down all of the players in contention for the starting quarterback position and said, "The race is on."

Here is an in-depth look at each of the men who have a shot at the starting spot:

Daniel Meager

The frontrunner coming out of spring practice is Daniel Meager, Richardson junior, who also got more snaps last season than any other Mean Green quarterback. He finished the season with 517 yards passing along with four touchdowns and six interceptions. Meager said he is very excited about the new spread offense.

"As a quarterback, it's something you dream about," said Meager, who also touched on the level of competition with the other quarterbacks. "You really have to focus in practice."

Dodge's Take: "Of the guys we have right now, Daniel is the most accurate. Also, I think he is above average athletically."

Nathan Tune

After leading Celina High School to a state championship and an undefeated 16-0 record in 2005, Nathan Tune, Celina, Texas freshman, signed with NT and red shirted in 2006. The red shirt freshman will look to try and make an impact early in his college career. With a new offense and coaching staff, 2007 could be the fresh start he needs to get rolling. Tune is listed at 6'3" 203 pounds.

Dodge's Take: "He is the biggest of the guys we have. Great strength and touch on the football. We need to work on his feet a little bit and get him in the right spots. He needs to be more consistent in practices, but when we get him into game situations, he excels. I've never been one to call anyone a 'gamer' but he does step up in 11 on 11 situations. He also runs pretty well for a big kid."

Woody Wilson

Although he did not get as many snaps as Daniel Meager in 2006, senior Woody Wilson had more completions and more passing yards. Wilson finished the season throwing for 528 yards to go along with two passing touchdowns and a team high of eight interceptions. Wilson, a senior from Fayetteville, Ark., showcased his athletic ability last year by running for more than 100 yards.

Dodge's Take: "Woody, of all the guys we have, is probably the best dual-threat, combination guy­- very quick feet. He missed more spring stuff than we would have liked because of some class stuff, but he had some bright moments, especially late in the spring."

Matt Phillips

Matt Phillips, San Angelo, Texas junior, is more than excited about going out and competing for the starting quarterback position in 2007. "The competition level is definitely there," said Phillips, who is no stranger to quarterback competition.

Phillips competed for playing time with Meager in 2005, playing in seven games and completing the longest pass play of the season, a 53-yard touchdown to Joel Nwigwe. Phillips repeated this act last season, again completing the longest pass play of the year on a 36-yard touchdown throw to Casey Fitzgerald. He finished last season throwing for 337 yards with three touchdowns and five interceptions.

"We all know we can get better, and we go out and try to do that every day. We just go out there and have a good time," Phillips said.

Dodge's Take: "Matt is very well respected by his teammates- really good leadership qualities. Probably has the strongest arm, just pure velocity."

Giovanni Vizza

Probably the biggest wild card in the bunch is Giovanni Vizza, San Antonio freshman. Vizza, from San Antonio Alamo Heights High School, is listed at 6'1" 195 pounds and brings a lot of excitement to the field.

"Giovanni has brought a lot of talent to the table, and it's fun to have him around there," Phillips said. "He's a young guy, and he's out there learning from us every day."

Vizza finished his high school career with an impressive senior season, throwing 37 touchdowns on 3,278 yards with only eight interceptions. He also ran for seven touchdowns on 667 rushing yards. His team won the 4A State Championship, the first in the school's history.

Dodge's Take: "In only two days, the thing that jumps out to you is that he's very, very competitive, with outstanding leadership qualities for a young guy. We recruited him because he is not only an accurate passer, but can also move the ball with his feet."

"They are all very much in the hunt so we'll just see how it all goes," Dodge said.

Edited by MeanGreen61