Kicking Battle Rages On

MeanGreen61

Football: Kicking battle rages on

Three legs vying for one spot for UNT

10:13 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 8, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Just a few weeks ago, Clayton Teasdale was preparing to head Blinn Junior College when he received a call that changed his plans.

North Texas' coaches had discovered they might lose redshirt freshman kicker Steven Woodward and were looking for candidates for the starting job. Teasdale jumped at the opportunity and is now in the midst of what has turned out to be a three-man race to be the Mean Green's kicker in its season opener Sept. 1 at Oklahoma.

Teasdale, a Carrollton Newman Smith product, Trent Deans of Sherman and Thomas Moreland of Forney all arrived at UNT as preferred freshmen walk-ons this fall and will compete for the starting job.

Woodward is no longer with the team, leaving the Mean Green without a kicker who has gone through a season of practices on the college level, let alone kicked in a college game.

"I was going to Blinn because it is a good junior college," Teasdale said. "I changed my mind when this opportunity came up because I would rather go straight to a Division I school."

Moreland played in the Oil Bowl, an all-star game that features a team of Texas players taking on a similar team from Oklahoma. He was also a second-team All-District 10-4A selection.

"North Texas contacted me right near the end of spring practice," Deans said. "They wanted me to come by and visit one of their practices. They said they liked how versatile I am."

All three of UNT's kickers have been with the team for just a matter of days.

"One thing we will have to find out is how they handle pressure," Dodge said. "We are trying to figure that out every day."

UNT's coaches have been putting each of their kickers in pressure situations at the end of practice. If the Mean Green's kickers convert their attempts, practice is over. A miss can result in extra running or drills.

"We have to get used to kicking on the college level and show coach Dodge what we can do," Deans said.

The loss of Woodward also opened up the possibility of punter Truman Spencer handling kickoff duties. Dodge said he wouldn't ask Spencer to kick field goals.

Spencer is a preseason All-Sun Belt Conference selection as a punter.

"We will see what happens with kickoffs," Spencer said. "I might try that."

UNT is looking to replace Denis Hopovac, who converted 71.4 percent of his field goal attempts last season, a total that ranked fourth in the eight-team Sun Belt. Hopovac led the league with an average of 1.36 field goals a game, but is best remembered for coming through at the end of a tough game against Florida International.

UNT and FIU battled through seven overtimes and combined to attempt 13 field goals during the extra sessions before Hopovac connected on a game-winning 34-yard kick in the seventh period.

Hopovac went 3-for-7 on field goals in extra time and missed what would have been game-winners from 51 and 29 yards. He made up for those misses with a make from 39 yards in the fifth overtime to extend the game, not to mention the winner two overtimes later.

Spencer has worked with UNT's new kickers the last two days and believes the Mean Green will find a solid starter by its season opener.

"At first I was worried, but I think they are going to do all right," Spencer said. "They have progressed the last couple of days and are starting to hit the ball a lot better."

UNT loses Loren

Roy Loren, a senior who was projected to be UNT's starting strong safety heading into fall practice, is no longer with the team, Dodge said Wednesday.

The former Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College standout started seven games last season and finished with 33 tackles. He missed four games with a broken hand.

Sophomore Kartey Agbottah has moved into the starting lineup in place of Loren.

"We can't worry about the ones who are not going to be here," Dodge said. "It's a tremendous opportunity for Kartey. … He is running with the first team. We have said since we started working with him that his best football is in front of him. He has a great frame."

Agbottah, 6-2, 190, was a significant contributor on special teams and finished with four tackles in 10 games last season.

UNT has also moved Desmon Chatman, 6-2, 187, from corner to safety. The sophomore has made a good impression and is pushing for playing time.

"After three practices, moving Desmon to safety looks like it will be good for us," Dodge said. "He looks like a safety and can run like a cornerback. If you had asked me when we first got here what he played, I would have said outside linebacker. He is big and runs well."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Count me as one who is very concerned about the PK position. Opening day at Oklahoma. Wow, talk about a first time experience for a walk-on kicker.

Whoever wins the battle had better have ice in his veins.

Lets hope that the only kicking that our walk-on freshman place kicker needs to make are extra points. If we put the ball in the end zone, we can get by with a young kicker.

Besides, kickers are not highly recruited players. It's not uncommon to find good kickers without scholarships. We have had a few at North texas that worked out very well.

If you think about it, you will be able to guess what it is. It's not an uncommon problem.

New article says WW is in Summer School thru Friday, so lets not try and speculate what he is going to do. I would mych rather a playmaker like WW remain eligible rather than screw-up academically and be a wasted scholarship due to grades. Let him miss some practice and come in fresh with a load off his shoulders.

Please read on WW!!!!

Edited by untbowler

I have to admit not having a kicker some 20+ days before the opening kick-off has me just a little worried. It's not just the XPs and FGs I'm worried about either. It's the fact that we now have to kick off from the 30 yard line that has me the most concerned. I like the idea of having one kicker kick-off and another have the XP and FG duties. Maybe Truman Spencer can boom the kick-offs as well as he can punt. Like others, I would like to know just why Woodward is no longer on the team.

Does this make the kicking position a priority for the '08 class now?? If so, there are still a few highly ranked '08 kickers on Rivals that don't show any college commitment. Two of the top 25 in the country are from Texas.

Randy Bullock is ranked #12 and is from Klein, TX.

Mitch Russo is ranked #22 and is from Texas City.

Ryan Doerr is unranked and is from Katy, TX.

Then again, we could always go scout the women's soccer team or, even better, some European rugby leagues...I'd like to have a kicker that can tackle too.

I have to admit not having a kicker some 20+ days before the opening kick-off has me just a little worried. It's not just the XPs and FGs I'm worried about either. It's the fact that we now have to kick off from the 30 yard line that has me the most concerned. I like the idea of having one kicker kick-off and another have the XP and FG duties. Maybe Truman Spencer can boom the kick-offs as well as he can punt. Like others, I would like to know just why Woodward is no longer on the team.

Does this make the kicking position a priority for the '08 class now?? If so, there are still a few highly ranked '08 kickers on Rivals that don't show any college commitment. Two of the top 25 in the country are from Texas.

Then again, we could always go scout the women's soccer team or, even better, some European rugby leagues...I'd like to have a kicker that can tackle too.

we have 3 kickers right now who are working hard, let's not just automatically give up on them before the season even starts.

I think we'll be ok we've got a three way competition and the best will come out of it. I know the Moreland kid from Forney was a pretty highly regarded and I’m sure the others have some talent as well. Plus who ever wins the job will have a year of experience by this time next year and could become a four year letterman. Let Todge sort out this season and let’s hope we don’t really have to recruit another kicker.

Didn't Spencer kick off some last year?

Why?

Because if we don't have someone that can boom the kicks at least to the 10 yard line (that's a 60 yard kick), our opponents could have an average starting field position of the 35 yard line. And we all know how much easier it is to score when you have a 'short field'. If we score anywhere near as many points as SLC did then we'll also have a LOT of kick offs.

Because if we don't have someone that can boom the kicks at least to the 10 yard line (that's a 60 yard kick), our opponents could have an average starting field position of the 35 yard line. And we all know how much easier it is to score when you have a 'short field'. If we score anywhere near as many points as SLC did then we'll also have a LOT of kick offs.

If I'm not wrong they're moving the kickoff back to the 30 yardline this year which will make a good kicker even more important.

If I'm not wrong they're moving the kickoff back to the 30 yardline this year which will make a good kicker even more important.

That's correct and why I stated that I am more concerned about the kicking position this year more than ever before.

It's not just the XPs and FGs I'm worried about either. It's the fact that we now have to kick off from the 30 yard line that has me the most concerned.

It might be possible that we use two kickers... one who can get a lot of distance and height for kick-offs but not be so accurate on extra-point kicks and another for extra-points and normal distance field goals.

I've been doing HS football previews for a month. Here are some of the better kickers in the area.

I like the the Plano West kid, he's under the radar and I've seen the Carrollton American Heritage kicker. He's a stud.

Haven't seen anyone else, but the Liba kid is pretty good. I didn't do a preview on Argyle, but their kicker Ben Parks, who is a good one, had NT listed as a choice. He no longer does, because he wasn't happy that we redshirted Woodward. But with Woodward gone, he might be interested again.

Plano West

Jordan Davenport (6-1, 175) has earned the job as the kicker and punter this year. Davenport was a standout at a Dallas-area kicking combine in July. His punting average of 43.25 was the best in camp by almost 2.5 yards. He was a perfect 8-for-8 in FG attempts with his 50 yarder clearing the cross bar with ease.

Carrollton American Heritage

Thomas Blankenship, a two-time all-state kicker, has missed just 19 of his 159 career PAT’s. While not called on for field goals, he had zero in 2006 and only four in his career (a long of 36 yards).

Dallas Christian

Senior Zach Zelios (5-9, 160) and Stephen Campbell shared the place kicking duties, with both doing a more than adequate job. Zelios handled the brunt of the work load, hitting 81.25 percent of his PATs (39-for-48). He also had three field goals (33, 27, 20). Campbell was perfect (6-for-6) on his PATs.

Farmersville

Senior James Wise (5-8, 161) will return as the place kicker. He connected on 83 percent of his PATs (30 for 36) and hit a 30 yard field During a five-game stretch he nailed 14 extra points in a row.

Frisco Centennial

Michael Liba, who was first-team all-district kicker, connected on 83 percent of his PATs (15 of 18). He also hit 6 FGs, wth a long of 35 yards. Junior Brenden Grimley (5-8, 150) will probably handle the kickoffs as he had 7 touchbacks last year.

Lake Dallas

Michael Murray (5-10, 165) was one of three players that was named all-district first-team kicker. Last year hit almost 90 percent of his PATs (44 of 49) and made 9 FGs, 5 of more than 30 yards. Murray proved to have one of the strongest legs in the area as a freshman, hitting 9 FGs with a long of 38 yards.

Plano East

The Panthers have problem with there kicking game, a problem most coaches would like to have. They have too much talent. Senior Evan Hamel, who connected on 91 percent of his PATs (20-for-22) and kicked 3 FGs, with a long of 35-yards, outstanding numbers until you consider senior Chad Powell was perfect on PATs (24 of 24), and hit 60 percent of his field goal attempts (3-for-5, with a long of 44 yards).

Richardson Canyon Creek

Garrett Weidner and Noah Smythe shared the place kicking duties. Weidner was 4-for-4 on his PAT’s with two FG’s (32, 41). Smythe was 9-for-11 on his PAT’s with a 26-yard FG.

The Colony

Jason Guenila was a second-team all-district kicker as a junior. He was perfect on his PATs (13 of 13) and he hit 5 FGs, with long of 34-yards.

Wylie

Justin Nesmith (6-1, 160) returns as the place kicker having made 90 percent of his PATs (18 of 20) He also connected on 6 FGs, with 41 yards being the best.

Profiles of kids still looking for an offer.

Ross Evans

Nathan Harvey has NT listed

I think the new ruling is a great bonus for non-BCSers. OU will have to worry about that too. In a nutshell, touchbacks will be reduced. This will give non-BCSers who have that one gamebreaker an opportunity in 6 seconds to make a huge difference for us. Unlike a typical offensive/defensive snap where the BCS depth takes its toll. The thought that OU won't be able to touchbacks against our returners is a HUGE plus for us, IMO. Tech did touchbacks all day last year against UTEP's Johnny Lee Higgins. It was really frustrating to watch as a Miner fan.