Fw*telegram Article Link, Re Kickers, Ww In Summer School

OldTimer

The QB battle will be a good one... I still think Vizza gets the job, but I'm glad everyone gets a fair shot. (that would not be the case if Flanny was still here) I'm more concerned about a true freshman walking onto that field in Norman? He ges to attempt field goals on one of the most hostile playing fields, in front of 93,000 of the most rabid fans in college football? Talk about pressure? IF the kid who kicked in the Oil Bowl gets the job, at least he has some real talent. There is no real way to prepare a kid for a crowd like OU, so he will have to be tough. I dont know why Winward left, but he sure didnt do Todd Dodge any favors? Oh well, things happen...

Here's to another Mean Green opening day game! Lets please have good weather for a change in Norman?, then let's have a beer or two for whoever ends up kicking their first Division-I college game in front of THAT crowd.

GMG!!! ;)

I am glad WW is taking care of his academics unlike many players over the last few years. hopefully he remains strong and gets a shot to play somewhere whether or not it is QB. Sounds like he probably has the ok from TD to gets his studies in order, rather than just skipping practice like some poster(s) have speculated.

Looking forward to this year.

I am glad WW is taking care of his academics unlike many players over the last few years. hopefully he remains strong and gets a shot to play somewhere whether or not it is QB. Sounds like he probably has the ok from TD to gets his studies in order, rather than just skipping practice like some poster(s) have speculated.

Looking forward to this year.

What???!! Speculation is always as solid as the truth!!!! :lol::rolleyes:

Maybe we have a kid who doesn't think twice about it.

...or two ...or three

We would be in a better position if we had a veteran PK and these guys were challenging for the starting job.

Freshman or not, with the new team attitude they will have the full support of the coaches and the team when they step out on the field in Norman. What more can they ask for!

I dont know why Winward left, but he sure didnt do Todd Dodge any favors? Oh well, things happen...

Uhhhh...that's Winword (I know it is actually Woodward, but Jimmy Cracked Corn...just trying to prove a point...no one really cares what the dude's name was...he is gone now)

Some of you are practically panicking about a freshman kicker taking the field in Norman. Smith threw his first pass in Austin and didn't flinch.

Some people are bothered. Maybe we have a kid who doesn't think twice about it.

1987, Norman Oklahoma. True freshman Scott Davis stepped in when Bron Beal broke his ankle during the game. Then lead the Mean Green on to the first touchdown scored in Norman in...(can't remember) so many qaurters over a span of a season or two? Memory is getting fluffy on the specs, but a legend was born in my oppinion.

Oh, and...

Wilson, in summer school through Friday, hasn't practiced.

Imagine that?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I loved the big stadium away crowds when I played. This might sound strange, but as you know back when I played (97,98, and 99) we didn't have many fans coming to our home games. I used the other teams home crowd to energize me. My first game on defense ever (well I played linebacker in 4th grade) was in Norman. I loved it! I know he's a freshman, but i'm a coach and I believe in kids.

"UNT officials say the No. 12 worn by former quarterback Andrew Smith, who died in a car accident before the 2004 season, was inactive but never retired. Freshman receiver Sam Roberson will wear the number at his request."

I wonder why he requested it? Was he Andrew's friend? Was it out of respect for Andrew? Was it his high school number?