Looks Like W K U Is Gettin A $5m Company Donation

MeanGreen61

Yeah, but when UNT builds what I have been told we are going to build, the tortoise will more than pass the hare in all this stadium race business going on among the non-BCS.

How long have I been wanting a new stadium for dear ol' alma mater? How 'bout starting in September of 1973 in the first game I sat in venerable Fouts Field?!?! :blink::)

Just as a short reminder, folks, we are (basically) having to build an entire sports complex (save the Liberty venues already in place of which some of those needed dramatic make-overs).

So when is that scheduled date for the Fouts Field implosion ceremony again? :blowup:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Yeah, but when UNT builds what I have been told we are going to build, the tortoise will more than pass the hare in all this stadium race business going on among the non-BCS.

I don't want this to start another stadium thread, but all any of us here have heard is what "some have been told" about this new palace being planned at Eagle Point. Some of us, particularly me, have had it with all of the BS promises and "announcements" of this stadium debacle. I'm losing my patience and I've just about had it. These little pi$$ a$$ schools like Western KY and Troy are moving forward and all we do is miss promises of announcements. UNT big shots, do you here me, DO SOMETHING!Say SOMETHING about this so-called new stadium. Otherwise, I'll continue to called it nothing but

bullsh!t. :censored:

Edited by DeepGreen

How long have I been wanting a new stadium for dear ol' alma mater? How 'bout starting in September of 1973 in the first game I sat in venerable Fouts Field?!?! :blink::)

1973...Fouts was not that bad in 1973.. ?? UT and A&M still rather small stadiums then, Tech may have been larger than theirs. Fouts was only about 25 yrs old then and a large part of the A&M one was nearly 50 yrs. old., in fact it only held 35,000 until 1969 and much of its dated from the 20's. It now holds 82,000 and I doubt much of the original remains.

UT had a track around it for years... The state HS track meet was held there until a few years ago. When they sunk the playing field stands were then built close to the field. Some seats are still a mile away.

---We do need a new stadium to keep up but in 1973 it was not all that bad compared to what else existed in Texas. ... it is that dated now.

I think with getting donations from companies, it is just a matter of being proactive and getting a team specializing in marketing for things like this. I'm not sure if RV can necessarily do that because I just dont think its his niche. I can see Dr. Bataille being proactive like that. But anyhow all it takes is getting that small team to really make that marketing and sponsorship push and believe me if we really wanted too I bet we can raise $100M for a new stadium.

I know I know all of you guys are probably laughing what I just wrote but there is a lot of money in advertising and sponsorships in things like this and if you do it right there is no reason we cant achieve a whole lot. All it takes is developing that perseverance and compiling a group of balls out hard hitting team members than can sell the idea of sponsorships for UNT, UNT programs, UNT athletics and the hopefully new football stadium in a few years.

If WKU can secure naming rights, congratulations to them BTW, for a stadium upgrade in Bowling Green, Kentucky then we should be able to secure something much bigger considering the location of our proposed stadium.

1973...Fouts was not that bad in 1973.. ?? UT and A&M still rather small stadiums then, Tech may have been larger than theirs. Fouts was only about 25 yrs old then and a large part of the A&M one was nearly 50 yrs. old., in fact it only held 35,000 until 1969 and much of its dated from the 20's. It now holds 82,000 and I doubt much of the original remains.

UT had a track around it for years... The state HS track meet was held there until a few years ago. When they sunk the playing field stands were then built close to the field. Some seats are still a mile away.

---We do need a new stadium to keep up but in 1973 it was not all that bad compared to what else existed in Texas. ... it is that dated now.

Yet the problem no matter what year for Fouts Field is that gol' darned track which has football fans on the 50 yard line still about 35-40 yards away from the field of action and those (forever) teriffically terrible sight-lines. We could gold-plate & diamond-stud every concreted square feet of Fouts Field but we would still have those 2 aforementioned (forever) problems.

PS: Anyone think our future stadium would get much less than what that video produced from that company up in (was it) Tulsa? Other than what most of us agree will be a need for a tweaking of the stadium seating sections configuration for the majority of our fans, I think we will still get many of the very impressive ammenities featured in that Okie'-produced stadium video.

I have heard one recent rumor that the 7'th calvary is on the way, folks, and that is all I can (and will) say about that. What I think most of us would also agree is that UNT cannot afford to merely jump into building some small number of seats/tin-can'ish kind of stadium we'd regret that we built 10, 15 or 25 years from now.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Good for Western. I want to note that this does not change their plans one bit - it merely adds to their revenue. As with Troy and FIU, these schools scheduled the new facilities FIRST - were in the process of building them - and THEN the donation came. These donors are not "saving" or "starting" these projects... they are hopping on board because the school has been able to get it going without their big money help.

Stadium Donors normally come after the stadium is built. There is no magic bullet. We have to build and then we will see a few more big donors. I would bet that the Goldfields will donate another large donation after we break ground and even old Mac might come around with some more money (although not likely, lol)...

Guest GrayEagleOne

Hey, folks, NO one is as anxious for a new stadium as I. Reason....I don't have that much time remaining on earth and I like to enjoy it at least a year or two. I do believe that we are working on this as diligently as possible. Here are a few things that we know or have heard;

...Plans are in the ADs office for a stadium for a stadium that will seat 30-50,000 depending on which stage we are able to fund.

...The stadium can be completed in less than 18 months

...A video has been made for presentation to possible donors

...A blue ribbon committee, headed by our largest donor, is calling on potentially large donors.

...Company, whose business is securing donations, is working on this

...At least two large donors were identified that just haven't said yes...we hope yet.

...One local company has/had pledged a large sieven figure donation

...An advancement team within the Athletics Department is now in place with two workers

...It is easier to secure donors in the present atmosphere than it has been anytime in the immediate past.

I believe that the breakthrough will happen soon; hopefully, sometime this year. It' fine to be anxious but we need a small dose of understanding as well. Lastly, there is no need to covet someone else's stadium because I believe that ours will be just as lavish.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

That is good lookin. I really like the fact that they built the 2 tiers and left the endzone open for future expansion.

I believe they already had the large stands there, and only had stands on one side of their field. Now, they will simply add a smaller set of stands and pressbox to the other empty side, and probably looking into the west sun.

Hey, folks, NO one is as anxious for a new stadium as I. Reason....I don't have that much time remaining on earth and I like to enjoy it at least a year or two. I do believe that we are working on this as diligently as possible. Here are a few things that we know or have heard;

...Plans are in the ADs office for a stadium for a stadium that will seat 30-50,000 depending on which stage we are able to fund.

...A blue ribbon committee, headed by our largest donor, is calling on potentially large donors.

...At least two large donors were identified that just haven't said yes...we hope yet.

...An advancement team within the Athletics Department is now in place with two workers

...It is easier to secure donors in the present atmosphere than it has been anytime in the immediate past.

I believe that the breakthrough will happen soon; hopefully, sometime this year. It' fine to be anxious but we need a small dose of understanding as well. Lastly, there is no need to covet someone else's stadium because I believe that ours will be just as lavish.

:thumbsup::clapping:

Fouts! Make Our Day! :blowup:

I believe that the breakthrough will happen soon; hopefully, sometime this year. It' fine to be anxious but we [need a small dose of understanding as well. Lastly, there is no need to covet someone else's stadium because I believe that ours will be just as lavish.

You know Jack, I've noticed that this is at least the second time you've used the term "we" when posting on this subject. Can I assume by the way you use the term "we" that you have been actively included in the project by the athletic department?

http://www.wkusports.com/pdf/stadiumconcretepour.pdf

Looks like they had the double deck side built already, I have never been to BG so I had never seen their stadium.

Below is the complete renovation plan

http://www.wkusports.com/sports2.cgi?sports=smithstadium

http://www.wkusports.com/photo.cgi?sports=5&article=5-1

After renovations were complete on the existing double deck side they smartly removed the track and began building the pressbox side which will put 5,000 more fans down close to the field, although I don't care for the curvature. But that had already existed on the original side so what can you do?

Working on it day and night.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Guest GrayEagleOne

You know Jack, I've noticed that this is at least the second time you've used the term "we" when posting on this subject. Can I assume by the way you use the term "we" that you have been actively included in the project by the athletic department?

No, Bill. I wish there were more to it. I wasn't even aware that I was using the term "we". In all cases it should be synonymous with the University of North Texas and/or its fans. My only "inside" information source is no longer at the university. Some of the information that I posted came from the staff and I assume is semi-public knowledge. The "have heard" came from other posters on this board that I trust.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

No, Bill. I wish there were more to it. I wasn't even aware that I was using the term "we". In all cases it should be synonymous with the University of North Texas. My only "inside" information source is no longer at the university. Some of the information that I posted came from the staff and I assume is semi-public knowledge. The "have heard" came from other posters on this board that I trust.

Well, that's too bad. They could use someone of your competence on some sort of planning/action committee.

We'll have ours soon. All those new SouthLake boosters...

:D

Seriously, one has to consider all the DFW area, state-wide and Southwest region contacts Todd Dodge has with not only football people money people as well. It doesn't hurt our cause at all that we have a former Southwest Conference QB for the University of Texas as Mean Green head football coach, either.

Sometimes it really does boil down to not only what you know............but...................who you know. :rolleyes::)

GMG!

Assuming that all of the above is true, and we have no reason to think that it is not...I think UNT will be successful very soon in reaching our goal. There have got to be companies out there who want their name on a stadium or want access to our students and alums, who will fund this thing. Dallas/FW is headquarters to how many corporations? Someone(s) is going to step up to the plate and hit the home run. It is only a matter of time.

We have to be getting closer to finding the Big Donor, right? We never had this much emphasis on finding stadium funding until just a couple years ago. I would like to see more "official" info leaked to encourage others. Secrets don't excite a fan base or potential donor that may be surfing here. :rolleyes: