Riley Dodge To Nt

NTPhiKap99

<H2 class=date-header>June 30, 2007</H2><H3 class=entry-header>Sources: Riley Dodge coming to UNT</H3>Southlake Carroll quarterback Riley Dodge might be headed to North Texas along with his father, Todd Dodge, who took over as the Mean Green's head coach in December.

Riley Dodge was recruited by UNT, but orally committed to Texas in late February.

Two of Riley Dodge's former Carroll teammates said Friday night that he had changed his mind and would play for the Mean Green. Riley Dodge did not return a message left on his cell phone. Todd Dodge could not be reached for comment.

A former Carroll player said that Riley Dodge told him Thursday to expect a surprise in the next few days and later heard that Dodge had committed to UNT. The player said he had not talked to Riley Dodge since.

A second former Carroll player said that Riley Dodge told him that he had changed his commitment and would play for the Mean Green.

If Riley Dodge does commit to UNT, he would be the best recruit Todd Dodge has landed in his short tenure with the Mean Green. Riley threw for more than 4,000 yards and 54 touchdowns as a junior last season when he led Carroll to its third consecutive Class 5A state title. Missouri, Tulsa, SMU and Rice were among the teams other than Texas and UNT to offer Riley a scholarship.

Todd Dodge has been on vacation the last several days and accompanied Riley to the Elite 11 passing camp in Las Vegas last week. A UNT official said the Dodge family is leaving on an extended vacation beginning Saturday morning.

Posted by Brett Vito email.gif at 12:39 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to be a pessimist but keep in mind this is an "oral agreement." Just like the one he just broke with tu.

Yeah, but he'll lose his, uh, allowance :blink: from "Papa Dodge" if he changes again. :rolleyes:

Wonder who the other SLC players were who changed their committments to UNT?

Something Even Bigger on the Horizon in MG Country? Since the practice fields were (in deed) officially named after DD by our BOR's, is NT Ex multi-millionaire Mattress Mac fixin' (a word found only in a Texas dictionary); anyway, is ol' Mattress Mac fixin' to make another big donation--I mean, a realllllly big donation?!?!?!? :unsure:

I do recall reading in a Fort Worth Star Telegram last year when all this DD Practice Field business was an even touchier subject than recently when a FWST sports columnist asked McIngvale if he would still give to UNT in the future: Mac's answer was something to the affect of: "Most likely I will."

A very strong gut feeling tells me something very big is cooking at our alma mater. Maybe so big Riley Dodge just had to be part of it? B)

A Mildly Warm Sports Opinion:

Doesn't Rivals Recruiting Service sorta' lose credibility when they reduce a HS player's number of ranking stars when a recruit they had previously placed numerous stars re-committs from one of the Big Boys to a non-BCS school?

That would be tantamount to reducing the quality of a Texas Motor Speedway race car to that of a Volkswagon Bug once it leaves the TMS track and over to a drive on Interstate 35. Why would the difference of roads the car navigates suddenly affect the quality of the car? :rolleyes:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Glad to see Riley Dodge is choosing to support his father and is coming to UNT. Too bad he's not pulling a John David Booty and graduating this summer. We could use him THIS season. What more does he have to prove at the high school level? He's already won a state title, won a Class 5A player of the year award and puked on cable television. Time to move on to the next challenge.

i just checked rivals to see UT commitments and they have already taken Riley off for their list, its great to see it happen so soon and great to hear that he will be at UNT, i really dont believe we will have to worry about him decommiting from us(atleast i really hope we dont), and also could this also open up the chance of Tre Newton following Riley and joining him at UNT? Another thing we have to think about is how great it will look for other recruits to see one of the best QB's in the state coming to mean green country! It will only help in recruiting which is why im so happy the announcement has come so soon

I don't know if anyone has mentioned we did just nab our first Rivals top 100 in Texas. I'm sure some of our other kids will make the local lists but this is the big one. The fact that Todd just had to walk into his kitchen to find him doesn't make it any less sweet.

Just a thought....Vizza doesn't red shirt next year. Dodge red shirts his Fr year. UNT is more in the national spotlight when Dodge is a Jr. and the starting QB . Better than 1 of the pack receivers at UT.

Phillips should transfer to a 1AA. I think it would be in his best interest. He is good enough to start for many 1AA's and his talent would be wasted on the bench.

Just a thought....Vizza doesn't red shirt next year. Dodge red shirts his Fr year. UNT is more in the national spotlight when Dodge is a Jr. and the starting QB . Better than 1 of the pack receivers at UT.

Will this help us keep Todge here a while longer so he can coach his son's Jr. and Sr. years in college? If Riley redshirts, that would be 6 years until graduation.

Assuming Vizza looks like he will be a star performer, I definitely agree with red-shirting RD (Also assuming RD is actually coming here - way too much assuming going on in this post). That would create a great 1-2 punch at QB in 2009-10, and place the offense securely in RD's hands for two years with TD's recruits now thoroughly in place as starters.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98