Can Someone Confirm This Or Is It A Fluke?

DeepGreen

:o

According to a TxTech supporter on SETXSports, if the Riley to UNT rumor is true, Riley drops to a 2-star recruit. <_<

"this is a wise choice in my opinion...he would never see the field suiting up for UT...

the only sad thing is that with his decision, he will now become a 2 star player..."

Scattershootin' While The Texas Rains Continue: The Fish In My Pond Are Drowning! :o

I made my own Rivals remark in jest, I don't care how many Rivals stars Mean Green recruits get while they're in HS, I think we are more concerned how many stars they develop into under the tutelage of Todd Dodge while in Denton, Texas, America.

I think some of these Red Raider local yocals should check the young Dodge's talent and heart once again. How many QB's have we seen in college football that had all the "future NFL" qualities even in high school still sit at their college of choice's bench while QB's like Riley Dodge start ahead of them?:)

So I guess Riley should have actually re-committed to Texas Tech where he would be guaranteed of being at a school that will never win a Big 12 football championship, but rather a school that seems to spend all their time trying to be just like UT or TAMU. :rolleyes: (What a tough pair of Permanent University Funded schools for the Techsters to try to emulate).

SAY WHAT?!?!?!? :blink: FWIW, wasn't the last (outright) conference football championship the Red Rada's won was when they were members of the old Border Conference; you know, back when dinosauers roamed the Texas Panhandle and the...................Estacado?

Singer/Song Writer Mac Davis: "Happiness is Lubbock, Texas, in my rear-view mirror." B) (As a 6'th generation Texan, Mac, I whole-heartedly concur).

IF ALL THIS FALLS INTO PLACE...............WELCOME TO MEAN GREEN COUNTRY, RILEY DODGE!

& ............. YOU WILL BE PART OF BUILDING A MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL PROGRAM THAT HAS TOP 25 RANKINGS AS IT GOAL (a la Boise State) AND...............PART OF A MG FOOTBALL PROGRAM THAT WILL GO TO BCS CHAMPIONSHIP BOWLS (a la BSU).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Catching this thread a little late, but let me say that, if this goes through, this is awesome, incredible, unbelievable news in every way possible for the North Texas Mean Green! In my opinion, this is the guy we want! And I'm not worried a bit about allegations of nepotism--TD is going to do what it takes to win, and Riley will appreciate every decision he makes to win, whether it includes him or not.

Before anyone gets too excited and needs to change their shorts I'd wait for an 'official' confirmation of this. Something on Rivals perhaps, or maybe in a legit newspaper.

TexasHSfootball is a rivals website.

I don't see anything about Newton possibly switching, where did that rumor come from? Would be awesome if he did, I just don't see it.

From horns message board

It is rumored that RB Tre Newton is next. Todd Dodge may be on the verge of building a heck of a class.
And from another horns message board

Tre is the waffler. Hasn't decided yet. He may go UNT as well.

I didn't want to give kid's names until at least one of the shoes fell.

Before anyone gets too excited and needs to change their shorts I'd wait for an 'official' confirmation of this. Something on Rivals perhaps, or maybe in a legit newspaper.

TexasHS football is a Rivals website .

12 hours after the original post, this thread is already 4 pages deep. I suspect this may be the longest thread in GMG history... until dodge actually signs his next class.

What an exciting day!!!!!!!!!

I keep checking the board for an offficial word on the new stadium. I never suspected this.

Is it actually possible that tre Newton would sign with us?

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF OU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, Vito finally read this thread and made his phone calls. He's confirming Riley's commitment to UNT. Here's his blog: Sources: Riley Dodge Coming to UNT

****Sorry, I got excited when I saw Vito's blog and wanted to post it ASAP. I hadn't noticed that someone had already beat me to the punch by posting it in a separate thread.****

Edited by gangrene

Since when did Riley become so slow? I've seen him as fast as 4.4 and heard of him being in the 4.3 range, is he sand bagging? My NT pants are going soooo crazy right now!!!! If he and Newton were to commit, I seriously might piss myself.

Not sure if you were joking or not...so I'll answer your question. That 5.7 number you see is not his 40 time, it's his rating according to Rivals. They have his 40 time listed at 4.67, but DCTF lists it at 4.4. Rivals also has Tre' Newton listed with 4.6 speed whereas DCTF lists him with 4.4 speed.

12 hours after the original post, this thread is already 4 pages deep. I suspect this may be the longest thread in GMG history... until dodge actually signs his next class.

What an exciting day!!!!!!!!!

I keep checking the board for an offficial word on the new stadium. I never suspected this.

Is it actually possible that tre Newton would sign with us?

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF OU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stadium Ha!!!

We have a better chance signing Tre Newton and having his father ol Nate Newton joining him on the squad.

I had not heard this before; wonder if this really happened at his ut jr. day?

................................................................................................

dallasblog.com

Rookie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on 6-30-2007 at 09:44 AM

a lot of luster of going to texas might have been taken off for riley two weeks ago when he went to texas junior day and was with the wide receivers... riley is a team player but when you've grown up being a quarterback and switch to college receiver playing behind a class that includes Dan Buckner (also at junior day) and speedy DeSean Hales (also at junior day), trying to make your mark at North Texas might looking more appealing ... and North Texas is building some terrific facilities if you haven't been there and its student body is craving an on-campus interest to develop

[Edited on 6-30-07 by dallasblog.com]

I wonder if some of you are already discounting Vizza. Todge didn't recruit Riley, he recruited GV, and admitted this was the guy he would have gone to if he had a whole year.

I'll be happy to see Riley come to UNT for a couple reasons, 1) competition only makes people better and 2) top recruits flock together like birds.

Remember when Tim Tebow signed with Florida and all those National Top 100 recruits followed him there? I like to think something similar could happen with Riley, our first Rivals State top 100 of the '08 class. The possibility of Riley committing to us certainly makes us more appealing to Kenny Barrett, the top '08 WR oral committ so far. He has made some of us nervous with some of his comments regarding his committment.

Make anyone else uneasy? :ph34r:

Hopefully, an oral committ from Riley will secure Barrett. Deep down I'd like to think that some fantastic lineman will follow Riley here and give us some great beef and depth at a position that we traditionally lack in Norman and Austin.

Check out some of the comments at DMN online:

I'm a big Texas fan and I think it's a fantastic move for him. I hate to see him leave, but he's doing what is best for him. He seems like a great kid and I only wish him the best.

Posted by: Lukus | June 30, 2007 10:56 AM

This confirms that Todd Dodge is a quality guy. With 3-5 years at UNT, I see him in Arlington. Seriously. You cannot buy class like his family has displayed. If he raised his own child this way, God bless them all because he had the best QB pound for pound living under his roof and never recruited him. Now THAT is what we need in the pro's. Best of luck to Riley and Todd...but most of all good luck to the family.

Posted by: Jeff | June 30, 2007 11:03 AM

As a UNT alum (and former classmate of Tim MacMahon), the hiring of Dodge was the first time I was excited about the future of UNT football...ever. Now with Riley coming on board, there is more reason to see hope for the future!

Posted by: Scott | June 30, 2007 11:10 AM

Its all good and well that the kid gets to go play for his dad but lets be serious about UNT's chances of doing anythign big. They will never go to a BCS game, they will never be on the big stage. If the kid does not want to play past high school then more power to him. But if he had any desire to play NFL football he just flushed it by going to UNT!

Posted by: Matt | June 30, 2007 12:14 PM

Link

Damit!!!!!! I didn't have a chance to get on the board yesterday, and all day I was going crazy thinking that I was missing something big, something of major importance. And sure enough I get on today and I see this. So here is my initial reaction.....

YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH&^*^*&^*#&^*^*^TTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!

Am I still drunk.....yes.....but I still think this is really happening.

While the majority of the Horn fans' comments on other message boards have been positive...

All these "Blind Allegiance" Long-whorn fans are feeling burned...so they are reverting to only thing they know to do in a situation like this...put down the person who burned them and pretend they were never good enough for them in the first place.

Awww...it's kinda cute how much they are acting like SMUt fans right now...

lol texashsfootball is far from a rivals site, you are prolly thinking of texasprepxtra, but good news none the less!

either way Texasprepxtra is reporting it also

David McNabb

TexasPrepXtra.com Staff

if ((bIEWindowBrowser) && (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.") != -1)) document.write("<div id=outercontainer style='height:220px;'>"); else document.write("<div id=outercontainer>"); document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");Talk about it in the Message Boards

Multiple reports Friday afternoon and evening said Southlake Carroll quarterback Riley Dodge has switched his commitment to North Texas after a February commitment to Texas.

Going to North Texas, Dodge could again play quarterback for his father, former Southlake Carroll head coach Todd Dodge who was named at North Texas last December.

At Texas, Dodge would have to move to receiver.

Neither Dodge could be reached for comment but SLC teammates and Texas assistants indicated a switch to North Texas was imminent.