I'm Excited About Nt's Fb Prospects

OldTimer

Guest GrayEagleOne

Yes, I agree that TD has made some inroads that have previously been untrod. What I'm not clear on is did we try and fail with such schools as Southlake Carroll, Euless Trinity, etc. or did we not even try? My guess is the latter.

I'm not going to miss stealth recruiting.

Yes, I agree that TD has made some inroads that have previously been untrod. What I'm not clear on is did we try and fail with such schools as Southlake Carroll, Euless Trinity, etc. or did we not even try? My guess is the latter.

I'm not going to miss stealth recruiting.

I've heard that Flanigan had not visited some Dallas area HS's in the last 3 years of him recruiting that area...we got one player because his HS coach called a friend coach at NT about a recruit where this occurred.

I also heard he wasn't interested in the Euless Trinity QB who wanted to go to NT and took his team to the state finals his sr. year. In contrast Kenny Evans recruited much more players than any other coach. Our WR coach at the time had to argue and convince DD to sign Quinn...Just a couple of tidbits I am aware of.

Please no names on this tread...no sense giving our competitors against whom we are recruiting info . At least NT is not telling our prospects to not mention NT is interested in them....or we wouldn't have the quality and numbers that we have now listed.

My sincere thanks to those who have sent me info on players interested in NT...keep up the good work.

Oldtimer thanks to you for keeping us updated, I love signing on and seeing a new prospect listed. I am very impressed so far with the possible recruits, their accomplishments, schools we are going against, and just the number of recruits listed so far. Can't wait for out first commit!! I feel as though we will have one or two before the season starts

I also heard he wasn't interested in the Euless Trinity QB who wanted to go to NT and took his team to the state finals his sr. year. In contrast Kenny Evans recruited much more players than any other coach. Our WR coach at the time had to argue and convince DD to sign Quinn...Just a couple of tidbits I am aware of.

Just an FYI, Trevor Vittatoe is making a strong case for starting at UTEP this year. Redshirt frosh, I believe. He has a great arm, impressive mobility, and seems to be going through the reads correctly.

Edited by greenminer

and seems to be going through the reads correctly.

That's why Flanigan didn't want him. RF's quarterbacks were forbidden from making reads or checks at the line.

Now where is RF coaching these days?

That's why Flanigan didn't want him. RF's quarterbacks were forbidden from making reads or checks at the line.

Now where is RF coaching these days?

The recruiting is really starting to get busy this month. Coaches are evaluating this month and are going to the schools now to see their prospects in action. Coaches are only allowed one phone call to those who are juniors. Should be interesting. I wish I could see the board containing the recruiting information also. I'm not an alumni, but had many neices and nephews who graduated from UNT. In fact one is getting her masters next week.

You have a lot of things to run Flanigan down about but this is not one of them. ALL plays had reads and checks at the line, sometime too many.

This year all the checks are done by the coach..........

You have a lot of things to run Flanigan down about but this is not one of them. ALL plays had reads and checks at the line, sometime too many.

I vaguely recall someone quoting S. Hall several seasons ago. Something to the effect that he was specifically instructed to NOT make any checks at the line. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I think the last thing you can accuse DD's offense of is having too many reads and checks. Maybe some fundamental zone blocking reads by the rb's, or a play-action related read. That's all that comes to mind. And to spare someone the joke...

...no, you can't have too many reads or checks on the 3rd-and-long draw.

Scott was a Sr. when I meet him and have talked to him many times and the only problems whit the checks at the line was trying to think like the coaches. He always had plays to check to but the coaching staff at times saw things differently then he did.

Scott was a Sr. when I meet him and have talked to him many times and the only problems whit the checks at the line was trying to think like the coaches. He always had plays to check to but the coaching staff at times saw things differently then he did.

Many times also the play was so late coming in from the sideline (via player to huddle) that the QB had little if any time to make play changes at the line. Now, with handsignals from the sidelines and shotgun formations there is much more time available to make adjustments to the defense. This is a major part of Dodge's success.

Really? Then why didn't any of the QB's check out of a running play when the defensive had 8-10 in the box? Why didn't the QB check out of a 3rd and 25 draw play? I could go on and on, but it appears the answers are in the immediate posts above.

Really? Then why didn't any of the QB's check out of a running play when the defensive had 8-10 in the box? Why didn't the QB check out of a 3rd and 25 draw play? I could go on and on, but it appears the answers are in the immediate posts above.

Seems like when any QB "got it wrong" last year, they got yanked. I think the QBs had "control" rather than control at the line. They could check into a play, but if they got it wrong (like they often did for lack of true coaching), they got yelled at, yanked, and berated ad nauseum.

I have watched film for the last two years games and can count on one hand the number of times that a team had 8 in the box. And every time we are in a 2 TE set. This is like saying that our D was on the field way too long and last year the time was split almost even

You ask why not check out of a 3rd and 25 draw play you should be asking why he didn't check out of the 2 plays before that that made it 3 and 25. The Cowboys will run a draw on 3rd and 25 90% of the time. You really do not have a play for 3rd and 15 plus. Even 3 and 6 is very hard to make with any good D.

Edited by PHSCoach

I have watched film for the last two years games and can count on one hand the number of times that a team had 8 in the box. And every time we are in a 2 TE set. This is like saying that our D was on the field way too long and last year the time was split almost even

You ask why not check out of a 3rd and 25 draw play you should be asking why he didn't check out of the 2 plays before that that made it 3 and 25. The Cowboys will run a draw on 3rd and 25 90% of the time. You really do not have a play for 3rd and 15 plus. Even 3 and 6 is very hard to make with any good D.

Did you see the Nichols State game in '02? At times they looked like they were in punt recieving formation and yet we still ran right at them. One of the most frustrating games that comes to mind for me.

Rick

I'm not sure why you're spinning it that way. I don't follow the 'boys, but I'd be interested to see if it's really 90% or even close. Running it on 3rd and long means one of two things to me: you're within field goal range and want to play the ball safe and into the middle of the field or, two, as a coach you've given up on your offense (see re: what two plays got you into 3rd and long) and have no balls left to try and air it out. So what if it's a good D you're going against? It's 3rd down, which means you still have one more free go ahead before you are traditionally going to punt it away. Except for some rare cases (last play of first half, for one), running it on 3rd down might as well be conceding the opponent has won the possession. Even when Dickey converted a few of these and everyone was praising the success, I was still biting my lip about the play call.

flame away.

Edited by greenminer

Didn't feel like writing a novel. You can beat me over the head with all of your facts and film watching that I don't have time for, but I know what I saw in person or on television and what I listened to on the radio. Poor coaching equaled poor quarterback play.

It is a long way to Feb 2008-

Yes-there are some good players listed, and alot of competition for these players.

I am interested to see the response from Coach Dodge's QB/WR schools held in

June/July, because not only Texas kids attend the camps, but kids from all over

the country come in just for Coach Dodge.

Also- I am interested to see DCTF top 300 list- especially the OL/DL players--

because Coach Dodge was able to land several top 300 with about 4 weeks

worth of recruiting. Now, Coach Dodge and his staff have the whole year to

recruit the top players.

I really hope the staff can sign some very good OL/DL kids for 2008.