Unt Basketball Is On The Clock!

Cooley

Since, apparently, the administration and Johnny (and his agent) are involved in a 'dance of scorpions', it is not surprising that there has been disappointing recruiting. How sad, but this is North Texas and it is 'only basketball.'

I'm pretty dissapointed at this point as well. We still are in on some great players, so I have my fingers crossed on those. I think they true sign of whether or not we can capitalize on our trip to the NCAA'S is the caliber of recruits we can sign in the early period next season. I think we can make do with what we have right now next year and still have a very solid season, but that would definitely be predicated on Colin Dennis being as advertised and really going into Williams/Wooden often. If we don't sign some players this period or in November, we will definitely be in trouble. Another note, while I like going after JUCO players to fill immediate needs (like Mccoy for an actual 2nd PG on the team), I think it is extremely important that we sign a few high school players who can really develop into 3 or 4 contributors/starters for us.

I'm pretty scared. This was supposed to be the great recruiting class that came off our NCAA tournament appearance, and there isn't really even a recruiting class yet. We lost Flemings and our top recruit chose UNO over UNT. JJ better come through, or I will already be very worried about about his long term extension and the future of UNT basketball. Can we come away with anything to show for the NCAA tournament and Sun Belt championship?

Can we come away with anything to show for the NCAA tournament and Sun Belt championship?

A 5 year contract extension for our head coach? That appears to be about all we are going to get from it.

Once again, coming off of 4 straight bowl wins we see how well our recruiting was, and now, this year coming off a trip to the tourney we lose our number 1 target to a team coming off of a losing record. Oh well....at least we have our coach locked in.

The kid also had a prior relationship with the coach. That can't be understated enough.

Not to mention UNO had beaten us both times during the season. Don't we always talk about how much head to head matchups might matter to the recruits?

Edited by CMJ

Is it possible JJ was more concerned about his extension than his recruiting duties ??

I hope not. My only explanation for the lack of recruiting , especially big bodies , is that he may have a few players up his sleeve that could transfer here to play in 08-09 ?? I don't know , but I'm hoping.

Is it possible JJ was more concerned about his extension than his recruiting duties ??

I hope not. My only explanation for the lack of recruiting , especially big bodies , is that he may have a few players up his sleeve that could transfer here to play in 08-09 ?? I don't know , but I'm hoping.

That could very well be the case. He has to know that once he gets the extension he has 5 years of easy sailing and living off the 1 NCAA tournament appearance. It would be nice to see that NCAA appearance translate into and upgrade in recruiting, but at this point in the recruiting season that would be tough to do. It's going to be sad if the recruiting class coming off the NCAAs is one JJs weakest. But, hey, he has his extension.

That could very well be the case. He has to know that once he gets the extension he has 5 years of easy sailing and living off the 1 NCAA tournament appearance. It would be nice to see that NCAA appearance translate into and upgrade in recruiting, but at this point in the recruiting season that would be tough to do. It's going to be sad if the recruiting class coming off the NCAAs is one JJs weakest. But, hey, he has his extension.

Dumb post of the week.

What are you disagreeing with?

With the idea that JJ thinks going to the first round once is good enough and he can coast now for five years because he got his deal and screw everybody else. That's a pretty dark fantasy without any factual basis that I'm aware of.

Those who just knew deep in their hearts that this team would collapse at the end because that's what JJ teams always do were wrong about that, too.

With the idea that JJ thinks going to the first round once is good enough and he can coast now for five years because he got his deal and screw everybody else. That's a pretty dark fantasy without any factual basis that I'm aware of.

Those who just knew deep in their hearts that this team would collapse at the end because that's what JJ teams always do were wrong about that, too.

I certaintly hope that isn't the case, but it seems that a lot more effort was put into securing that 5 year extension that has been put into recruiting. JJ isn't like DD, but what kind of effort did DD put forth after his extension? Which direction has the woman's bball program gone after Slinker's latest extension? Is there really a need to give a 5 year extension because of one good season? At least DD won 4 conference championships.

I don't know what effort you read about. I read more effort put into this board about DD updates than anything specific JJ has done to secure the contract.

All I saw were threads debating what kind of extension he should get, and then him showing up to the banquet that announced his extension. Wanna elaborate for me, because of my own ignorance, what efforts JJ put forward to getting the 5 year extension?

I certaintly hope that isn't the case, but it seems that a lot more effort was put into securing that 5 year extension that has been put into recruiting. JJ isn't like DD, but what kind of effort did DD put forth after his extension? Which direction has the woman's bball program gone after Slinker's latest extension? Is there really a need to give a 5 year extension because of one good season? At least DD won 4 conference championships.

I wasn't really comparing JJ and DD in their years following their contract extentions....I was more or less talking about the years right after their big seasons. DD went to four straight Belt titles and then Bowl games and right after the fourth, the recruiting fell significantly off. As for JJ, we will have to see what his "run" brings. DD actually won conference titles, but I was unimpressed with his recruiting as those titles didn't seem to do much for him in terms of recruiting. As for JJ, his team didn't even finish in the top 4 of the conference. I don't think he is on the clock now though, because he now has a 5 year extention with a recruiting class right now that appears to be very lacking.

The extension may or may not be a good idea. There is some history with Slinker and DD to suggest not. However, I suspect if JJ had another good couple of seasons and someone hired him away from us, they'd blame RV for not giving him a long term contract. My question is: how do you know that JJ put alot more effort into securing the 5 year extension than recruiting players? I am former music agent, and our clients pretty much stayed out of negotiations until we had numbers to give them. All the haggling went on at the agent level. That is why they hire and pay large sums of money (i.e. percentage of the contract) to an agent so that they don't have to be over involved in this process. Very similar to how an attorney and client work when suing some else. The attorney is the mouthpiece. I seriously doubt that JJ sat around since the NCAA tournament waiting for RV's every phone call to haggle over money. I could be wrong because I don't know what went on in these negotiations, but I doubt it.

Edited by chrisfisher