Our Campus

Hey I just wanted to gather thoughts about how people think our campus looks. While I was at UNT I always would see areas of the campus that needed a desperate make-over.

I thought I would post a note to the people who haven't seen our campus in a while. Maybe for those that live out of the area. My GF still goes to UNT and she sent me this email just a little while ago:

"i just wanted to tell you how beautiful our campus looks right now! They have been doing some major renovations making it look better and it is so green and there are flowers everywhere!! "

We are both from Austin, which is very pretty, so for her to comment on the campus is a pretty big deal (well to me) :)

I love our campus, I'm proud of it, and I have a million miles of great memories tied up there... but as a whole, I run hot and cold on how it looks aesthetically.

I think some of the new buildings look great - the Murchison, new dorms, ESSC, RTFP, Rec Center, etc... I always loved the area where "Flying High" sits, and the courtyards and grassy areas near the Union and out in front of the GAB. The Willis mall is being spruced up (but has been a disaster zone for a while now) and I've always liked the stretch by Curry Hall where campus borders Fry. I also think the "new" entrance sign and whole entry down North Texas Blvd. past Mozart Square and the SuperPit looks great.

That being said, I always thought the 70's-looking generic brown boxes that permeate the geographic middle of campus -- the music buildings, middle-aged dorms, Matthews, Terrill, etc. -- look pretty dreary and unattractive. There's also really limited landscaping around that area (the old mid-campus "entrance" area), and a lot of exposed beaten up AC units, rusted railings, etc... The landscaping in general could benefit from some TLC, but that's a low priority, I know. In a perfect world, I'd love more trees, garden-type areas, and fewer dead/haggard patches near walkways, etc... The side of campus facing Eagle (and frankly, much of Denton on the other side of Eagle) leaves something to be desired for me. Not old enough to be classic and collegiate, not new enough to really shine or impress.

It's a mixed bag, but it looks light years better than it did when I got there in 97.

Guest GrayEagleOne

You should have been there in the 1960's. :cry: It's light years ahead of the old days back then.

You think that it was bad in the 60s, you should have seen it in the 40s. We had no student union, the science building was built circa 1890s and still in use, and basketball was played in a wooden gymnasium. It seemed that every building was a different architectural style. The Administration Building is now the Auditorium Building and now is about the only one that is not Georgian or Modern Georgian architecture (well, loosely).

Give this campus a few more years to add and replace some buildings and let the landscaping mature and it will be a veritable showplace. I'd like to see something done with the perimeter area. Maybe shrubbery that forms a fence or something. I think that the center of the campus looks great.

You should have been there in the 1960's. :cry: It's light years ahead of the old days back then.

Absolutely---- when the State put Arlington and Texas Western into the UT system (as UTA and UTEP) it freed up money for us and some others to build and modernize the campus. The old education building was used for government and the back steps had been condemned and chained up... Things were that bad.

My wife knows the head landscaper (I think his name is Joe?) and since he has come along the difference has been very noticable...it has also helped that the top admin have made it a point to make the campus look better...When I was a student there they decorated the campus with dumpsters including the huge one dab smack in the courtyard of the union, simply beautiful :wacko:

Give this campus a few more years to add and replace some buildings and let the landscaping mature and it will be a veritable showplace. I'd like to see something done with the perimeter area. Maybe shrubbery that forms a fence or something. I think that the center of the campus looks great.

I like the green space work being done. I agree the core campus is looking better, but the perimeter still has a long way to go. The Discount grocery next to McDonalds needs to be replaced or made into a park. The campus roads are too bumpy and a patchwork of old asphalt. More work needed.

When I enrolled, I visited SFA and thought WHAT A COOL CAMPUS, but went to NT where the campus looked like a state prison. That being said, I wouldn't trade the memories for anything. Our campus lacked the "beauty" but it made up for it by not being pretentious and was accepting of everyone. I did not pledge to a fraternity or join a big social group, but had no shortage of friends.

When I enrolled we where making the move towards DI-A and I think we were passing Tech or about to pass them in enrollment (early nineties)

Edited by runt96

I was in Denton a couple of weeks ago after having some business in Dallas. I thought the campus looked good. The trees, plants, etc. keep growing bigger and the overall effect is very positive. There are some older buildings near the center of the campus but for those of us who attended back in the days it triggers some warm memories. How bout that that old Quadrangle housing back then.

While there I went into Voertman's and bought some of the new shade of green shirts. I had some fun with telling some students that the tatoo parlor next door used to be an apartment area and I lived up there one semester. :P

I like the directions the school is going with the new President and sports coaches. Watched our lady softballers beat La-Monroe and sat with Susan Waters dad.

There are some very nice improvements under way, but as others said, more are needed. The campus master plan from 2005 (www.unt.edu/untmasterplan) has a very detailed and frequently brutally honest assessment of the buildings and the campus layout. It finds much to admire (the older buildings and the core campus) and much to improve. It's certainly worth reading.

The master plan also superimposes maps of the old campus alignments of the early 1900s over contemporary aerial photos to give people an idea of what has changed. My undergrad alma mater, the University of Georgia, features historic campus maps on the visitors portion of its web site. Visitors can look at a hand-drawn campus map from 1805 that shows a half-dozen buildings, including the oldest, Old College (1801; it's still there). Perhaps UNT could offer some archival maps, too.

In general, the UNT plan calls for closing some streets and turning them into pedestrial malls, which is a really good idea.

Also worth noting: the current Fouts parking lot becomes a parking garage and Fouts itself becomes surface parking studded with trees, available as a future building site. The athletic and rec fields near Fouts remain.

As most know, the new stadium appears at Eagle Point, with the open end of the horseshoe facing the athletic center. The master plan map names it Future Stadium, which I guess means that they expect Mr. and Mrs. Future to write a big check for it in exchange for naming rights.

One change I'd like: to rename as many buildings as possible from So and So Building to Somebody Hall. "General Academic Building" sounds like a community college building (I went to one of those, too, so no snobbishness here). There are many other examples of lousy naming. It's more university-like and historical to name buildings Somebody Hall. Bruce, for example, has much that makes it special (designed by George Dahl, architect of much of Fair Park, the Dallas Morning News building, and others); one of those is the portrait of old Dr. Bruce himself that overlooks the lobby. If they had called it Dorm No. 1 or some such awful name, much of the building's charm would have been lost.

A committee could solicit building name nominations, focusing on people who made extraordinary contributions to the U. I think it would enhance the feeling of the place.

Edited by Green to the Bone

Names that need to be changed

Santa Fe Square- change to Emmit's Playhouse

Traditions Hall- change to Eagle's Den

Language Building- the Booger Building (booger kennedy)

Physics Building- something intellectual

Music Annex- something with bowling for soup/ norah jones/ don henley

GAB- Cobbs Corner

The Union- Goldfield somehting

and god damn if that stadium and track building get built I want one of them named after Rick Villareal.

There are some very nice improvements under way, but as others said, more are needed. The campus master plan from 2005 (www.unt.edu/untmasterplan) has a very detailed and frequently brutally honest assessment of the buildings and the campus layout. It finds much to admire (the older buildings and the core campus) and much to improve. It's certainly worth reading.

The master plan also superimposes maps of the old campus alignments of the early 1900s over contemporary aerial photos to give people an idea of what has changed. My undergrad alma mater, the University of Georgia, features historic campus maps on the visitors portion of its web site. Visitors can look at a hand-drawn campus map from 1805 that shows a half-dozen buildings, including the oldest, Old College (1801). Perhaps UNT could offer some archival maps, too.

In general, the UNT plan calls for closing some streets and turning them into pedestrial malls, which is a really good idea.

Also worth noting: the current Fouts parking lot becomes a parking garage and Fouts itself becomes surface parking studded with trees, available as a future building site. The athletic and rec fields near Fouts remain.

As most know, the new stadium appears at Eagle Point, with the open end of the horseshoe facing the athletic center. The master plan map names it Future Stadium, which I guess means that they expect Mr. and Mrs. Future to write a big check for it in exchange for naming rights.

One change I'd like: to rename as many buildings as possible from So and So Building to Somebody Hall. "General Academic Building" sounds like a community college building (I went to one of those, too, so no snobbishness here). There are many other examples of lousy naming. It's more university-like and historical to name buildings Somebody Hall. Bruce, for example, has much that makes it special (designed by George Dahl, architect of much of Fair Park, the Dallas Morning News building, and others); one of those is the portrait of old Dr. Bruce himself that overlooks the lobby. If they had called it Dorm No. 1 or some such awful name, much of the building's charm would have been lost.

A committee could solicit building name nominations, focusing on people who made extraordinary contributions to the U. I think it would enhance the feeling of the place.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Our campus generally has a distinctive color to the buildings. There are a few little pockets of nice green areas. Overall it holds up well enough against many others. However, I recently went to the campus at Mississippi State which is a couple hours south of where I live. We stopped by on the way back from the basketball game in New Orleans because my son is not that far away from college. I expected it to be a dump; however I came away feeling absolutely impoverished. We have been to several other schools including Ole Miss which is also a very nice campus, but that campus in Starkville is fantastic. It is sort of like a giant country club. The grass is like a golf course eveywhere. There is a LOT of open space and they have some realy cool buildings, including a far-out alumni center. The school is mostly up on a hill and you drive up past a big lake, and that stadium and pavilion are up there and it looks like you are going to Six Flags.

However, even that is still no Charlottesville.

Well, all our looking around in this area will go for naught, as today we finally came to our senses and decided to move to Austin. We have been non-Texans for far too long.

Names that need to be changed

Santa Fe Square- change to Emmit's Playhouse

Traditions Hall- change to Eagle's Den

Language Building- the Booger Building (booger kennedy)

Physics Building- something intellectual

Music Annex- something with bowling for soup/ norah jones/ don henley

GAB- Cobbs Corner

The Union- Goldfield somehting

and god damn if that stadium and track building get built I want one of them named after Rick Villareal.

Since it's really a motel, I would rename the notorious College Inn, most hated of campus buildings, for former provost Howard Johnson.

Call it Howard Johnson's Howard Johnson's.

Naming is also considered a primary fundraising opportunity. If you donate 1/2 the original cost of the building, you can have it named.

I think it is already great the way most of the buildings are named (mostly after former presidents or regents), but would love to see names like GAB etc. "personalized" as well.

And, don't forget, the Athletic Center can be named as well. The Athletics Website says the price is "Negotiable". Should we start taking up collections? :D

You know, I kinda like the idea of a GoMeanGreen.com Athletic Center. Itd be cool when people ask where the meeting is (if its at the athletic center), that you say, "Oh, its at the GMG). Just a thought.

By the way, I think College Inn should stay, its part of the nostalgia of the school.

Naming is also considered a primary fundraising opportunity. If you donate 1/2 the original cost of the building, you can have it named.

I think it is already great the way most of the buildings are named (mostly after former presidents or regents), but would love to see names like GAB etc. "personalized" as well.

And, don't forget, the Athletic Center can be named as well. The Athletics Website says the price is "Negotiable". Should we start taking up collections? :D

--- I was a Charter member (resident) of College Inn.. I was there in 1964-65 when only the front portion existed... the back part opened the next year. It was all male and we parked our cars where the sorority houses are now (under the back building and under the outside of the second floor.

--- Considering how long it has been there it seems to be in good shape. Hate to see it go.

Spent the morning on campus and the aesthetic beauty was abundant on campus this morning. There is a lot of construction going on, especially along the Libarary Mall. It will be extremely nice when they are done.

ntcampus3_474x355.jpg

Looking north across the mall.

ntcampus2_375x500.jpg

Looking soouth across the mall from Admin building.

ntcampus1_250x227.jpg

Looking down at some nice......trees. :D

ntcampus4_500x375.jpg

Looking north across one of several fountains. This one, located on the south side of the mall will have the water roll over the rock wall you see here.

ntcampus5_300x400.jpg

Bluebonnets are in bloom along the burm behind Willis Library.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Spent the morning on campus and the aesthetic beauty was abundant on campus this morning. There is a lot of construction going on, especially along the Libarary Mall. It will be extremely nice when they are done.

ntcampus1_250x227.jpg

Rick

Suddenly the term "Tree Hugger" finally makes sense to me now!

ntcampus1_250x227.jpg

Those branches are really nice, but I wish you could see the image of the tree and really appreciate the beauty of NT.

Three campuses I know pretty well are Hawaii, UNM and UNLV. All 3 have an urban feel which never feels as collegiate as the feel I get when I go back to UNT. Denton, NT, Gameday...I feel fortunate to have wandered the grounds of NTSU/UNT.

GMG

Three campuses I know pretty well are Hawaii, UNM and UNLV. All 3 have an urban feel which never feels as collegiate as the feel I get when I go back to UNT. Denton, NT, Gameday...I feel fortunate to have wandered the grounds of NTSU/UNT.

GMG

Bernie, are you still living in Hawai'i?