Get Back To Where You Once Belonged

greenjoe

25 or so years ago, I chose my seats at the Super Pit with one thing in mind; to sit behind my team. This year, I sat behind UTA, Jarvis, UL Monroe, and others. But not behind the Mean Green. I want the Mean Green back where they have been for 30 or so years, and my reasons are not as selfish as they may sound.

First, the Pep Band sits near the current NT bench. During timeouts, when the players are getting instructions, the band is playing. This should make it hard for the team nearest the band to listen properly. The visiting team and NOT the home team should be subject to this "interference." I love the Pep Band, but I would think it a distraction for the nearest team.

Second, the Pit Crew did a fine job this year not only with their attendance, but with their "jump starting" of cheers. (ie NORTH...TEXAS, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, SIT DOWN, and others). These cheers and JEERS should be a distraction to the visiting team, NOT the Mean Green. With the success NT had this year, I would think the Pit Crew will only increase in numbers.

Third, at halftime and after the game, the teams are forced to cross each other. With emotions high, this is a wonderful atmosphere for someone to get their feelings hurt, and possibly get ejected.

If there is a good reason for this move, I don't see it. No season ticket holder was informed of the move to my knowledge. To their credit, when I made my feelings known, the Athletic Dept. offered to change my seats of 25 or so years.

I would appreciate feedback for other NT Basketball fans.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by greenjoe

I completely agree with the Judge. Do we know if this was something JJ did himself or was it done by admin?

Of course, I'm so supersticious I can't help but wonder that if we go back to the way it was it might trigger another 4-20 something season?

Good points Joe. I'd like to hear why the change was made in the first place?

Rick

I was also behind the former team bench, but after consulting the ticket office have moved to the new bench area. They said it was JJ's idea and there could be other changes next season, like relocating the student section, band, etc. I still don't know the reasoning for the changes.

I was also behind the former team bench, but after consulting the ticket office have moved to the new bench area. They said it was JJ's idea and there could be other changes next season, like relocating the student section, band, etc. I still don't know the reasoning for the changes.

I don't understand it either. I guess it was so the students could pump up the bench and players during timeouts, but it took away the fun of heckling the crap out of an opposing player for missing a dunk or making bad passes. I think it made the pit easier to play in this year.

Good luck getting any response from the athletic department. They should have had the common courtesy of informing the 'hard core' season ticket holders about the change so the 'hard core' could move over behind the NT bench. Oh well, as Joliet Jake said in the "Blues Brothers"...."these are just requests, they don't mean nothin'."

The main reasoning was to get the student section behind the home team and get the team pumped. This was discussed before the beginning of the season and it was then decided to go through with it.

In my opinion it worked very well. Many of the students that repeatedly came to the games formed bonds with many of the players, and the players themselves have told me multiple times that is was great to hear the fans cheering. It really got them pumped. They also loved hearing our attempts to have players on the bench get some game time such as Ruffin and Mangrum.

The team will most likely remain on the same side. The women however are still on the other side, maybe they should move them too and see if they can get the ball rolling.

Thats the original reason for it. I am glad you remember the golden days! haha 2 years ago = golden...wow

That was really my only complaint about the "new" Pit Crew. Rather than pickup en mass and move to the other side to heckle (A DECENT CHUNK OF THE REASON THE PIT CREW WAS CREATED IN THE FIRST PLACE)...they just pussed out, and laid down without any sort of fight.

Edited by JayDub