The Bb Schedule For Next Season

I think that it would be great for UNT, TCU and SMU to host a tournament each year. And each year you could invite 3 teams from the same state. Tennessee, Memphis and Vandy. OSU, OU and Tulsa. Tulane, LSU and La Tech. IT would be a great round robin type of tournament. State against State. LSU at one time did this in baseball. In fact I think Rice, Texas and Baylor represented Texas one year.

Too bad we have 13 teams in our league. If we could just jettison Denver, and have 12 teams.......maybe we could do one of those conference challenges. (know what I'm talking about?)

Anyway, with 12.......we could have a nice CUSA-Sun Belt Challenge.

Or maybe.......we could set one up with the MAC.

Maybe have a home and home for every team. Like say, if it was the Sun Belt-CUSA Challenge......we could go to S Miss and get Houston at home (or whatever combo the leagues came up with.)

That would give every CUSA and Belt team....two Div. I games on their schedules. Maybe you could even keep up with the league's overall record in the challenge, and award a trophy to the winning league.

But, like I said....with 13 teams in our league....this idea won't work.

On the flip side, they may not want the loss ! :rolleyes:

How close were SMU, TCU or Baylor to getting an At-Large bid to the NCAA tournament? My guess is not very close. Without winning their conference, a loss to us does not have a major affect their chances to go to the tournament. I imagine the only possible impact of a loss would be in recruiting. But if we are truly getting better and start making a habit out of going to the tournament, won't we already have a recruiting advantage over them?

Yep...and a 15 seed to boot. Playing NAIA did nothing for us. Running the conference tourney got us into the NCAA field, which got us the media's attention. Maybe a slightly better non-conf slate helps us move up from the near impossible 15 seed placement...

You really think the primary thing that kept NT from getting a higher seed was playing 3 non-1a schools in out of conference play? The loss to UTA or 10-8 Belt record did not also factor in? I am all for upgrading the schedule, however the reality with the lack of support our BB team currently gets, it is not an easy task. Seems that your argument that the NAIA games did nothing to gain attention, only the tournament victory got us the media coverage; also could be used to to make the point that the OC schedule has very little relevance at all.

On the flip side, they may not want the loss ! :rolleyes:

How close were SMU, TCU or Baylor to getting an At-Large bid to the NCAA tournament? My guess is not very close. Without winning their conference, a loss to us does not have a major affect their chances to go to the tournament. I imagine the only possible impact of a loss would be in recruiting. But if we are truly getting better and start making a habit out of going to the tournament, won't we already have a recruiting advantage over them?

To paraphrase the legendary Foghorn Leghorn: "That was a joke, son."

---At the present probably our only chance of getting a NCAA bid is to win our conference, so who we play non-conference as far as wins go is not much of an issue although wins do help the confidence of the team which could help them as conference games show up. I think we should try to upgrade our schedule some which could later help in recruiting and not worry about non-conf. wins so much.. .

---We should be a more attractive opponent at the moment since we just made the 64 team tournament. Most schools of major conferences want games they can win or to help their rating. They do not want to lose to no-names. That was the problem Blakely had after he started winning... no one wanted to play us because we were likely to win and had not built a NCAA reputation (32 or less teams were selected those days).

---Basketball is not football... our arena is large enough and nice enough to schedule about anyone. Our attendence could be an issue, it was awful this past year. We might be a good team to schedule during Winter break since there is a large population to pull from in the Metroplex... our alums and perhaps theirs. Some places don't have much to pull from other than students on campus and they are usually gone during the winter break. I think some of you are underestimating who would play us.... unless they fear we might win and hurt their chances of making the NCAA. SMU and TCU might not want to schedule us because of recruiting the same area issues. I can't imagine any CUSA team avoiding us other than SMU, Big XII teams might prefer an easier opponent.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---There are 20 D-I teams in Texas.. which includes the Southland and Southwestern athletic conference. There are several colleges that are not tough travels destinations, such as Rice, Houston, UTEP, New Mexico and New Mexico State which are easy flights from DFW. We should keep the non-D-I games to a minimun (maybe 2). It seems a lot of places have a couple of them. Mid week games for non-conference should be "easy travels" as much as possible just to help the athletes and to keep them in class as much as possible. UT-A, SMU, TCU and Baylor fits this decription by being fairly close.. Football dos not interfere with classes much at all (if any) but basketball is a problem and is for BOTH semesters. Not much can be done for conference games to help this other schedule the distant travel games (FIU, MTSU, & FAU) appear on weekends, even that may be next to impossible. .